0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: R & B ?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 19-Aug-01  @  11:52 PM   -   R & B ?

dave_outland

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hello, R&B isn't my main style of choice, however I do want to take a stab at it. Could someone please show me a good drum pattern to use. thanks. P.s.If it matters, I'm looking for that real snappy kind of style. thanks.
Anyone know what R&B stands for anyways?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 20-Aug-01  @  09:33 AM   -   RE: R & B ?

steve

its stands for rhyme and beats as opposed to old rnb which stands for rhythm and blues. I think if you do a search for timbaland here, then you should get some joy on the patterns front.

Message 3/8                 Date: 20-Aug-01  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: R & B ?

k

Link?: Link

there is just so many styles true, really you gotta decide which one you're after, and it's gotta work with the track emphasis, the bassline & the hook often links to the beat, so the beat might be created around the hook or vice-versa.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/8                 Date: 21-Aug-01  @  06:09 AM   -   RE: R & B ?

dave_outland

Thanks,
Yeah, I hear what you're saying k, "I'll keep that in mind when I have a vocalist to work with, hehe." But seriously for now, I just want to learn some of the basic programming and such.

Message 5/8                 Date: 26-Aug-01  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: R & B ?

k

well you'd bette name names then cos it's a wide genre. Like what artists?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/8                 Date: 03-Sep-01  @  08:45 PM   -   RE: R & B ?

dave_outland

sorry I haven't been able to get on the Net lately. My Isp, shut down my modem cuz I had to much upload traffic. Anyways, for styles that I like, would have to include destiny's child, Eve, that sort of thing.

Message 7/8                 Date: 06-Sep-01  @  07:15 PM   -   RE: R & B ?

k

well dave it's still a massive genre - but basicaly there is so much use of double patterns with a double-speed shaker/hat etc top end pattern working over a half-time backbeat... lot's of use of a cross triplet feel.. dont you feel that beats just in your head?

Message 8/8                 Date: 12-Sep-01  @  04:14 AM   -   RE: R & B ?

k

File?:  File

destinys_1.mid

like on this track... the hats are going away at double time over a half time beat so like the tempo is say 100 as you hear it, but the ats are actualy at 200 and thew bar is 2 bars long so that you get 8 beats to a bar, then you can put in thos fast racing top end hat patterns at that tempo as 32nd & 16th notes.

on some of there other tracks like there is one which is on the same cd and it has like this shaker pattern - ch-c-c-c cc-ch sorta latin feel jerky sounding, but the little jerks are again done on the high resolution to get the shuffle - so you r feeling the speed of that pattern but the bass & kik is moving at half that time again walking out the pattern

thats all it is two tempo's you gotta think in. which overlap the top end moves at double the time counting 4 beats for the kik & bass patern and 8 beat for the hat feel over a 2 bar pattern at around 198-200bpm

i've added a file of a beat

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum