0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: A wise decision?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5                 Date: 27-Jun-01  @  10:38 AM   -   A wise decision?

Sad End Projects

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

We're in the process of putting together following homestudio-setup :

1/ Athlon 1 ghz/256 mb ram PC with Hoontech Soundtrack Audio DSP24 MK2

2/ Mixer Berhringer mx1604a

3/ Yamaha CBXK1-XG controller keyboard.

The DAW will mainly be running OrionPro/AcidPro/Logic-Sonar or Cubase (still to be decided) and the usual VST plugins etc

First i had thought to go for the Hoontech with the 8 io breakout box as reviewed here on DT but than it occured to me that for a little more I could get the Behringer mixer with balanced i/o for +/- the same extra-money layout and access to more channels.

Now I see things as follows :

Hook up synth, PC - soft-synth, external tapedeck/turntable, ... to the Behringer - submix there and feed this back to the PC for recording in Logic/Sonar/Cubase ... using one of the balanced i/o of the Hoontech ...

Is this a 'wise'decision or should I go for the breakout box nevertheless ...

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/5                 Date: 28-Jun-01  @  04:57 PM   -   RE: A wise decision?

k

well, it's kinda nice and a good budget choice having those extra stereo subgroup routing out... you wont be compromised for creating groupings of channels to route to the PC for quick recording, and your outboard mix can feed IN to the main PC s/w mixer in realtime as a stereo mix alongside any internal mix stuff... so, why not start with the simple card and go to the rack If you feel you'd prefer to have 8 mono (4 stereo) feeds into the s/w mixer.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5                 Date: 29-Jun-01  @  01:39 PM   -   RE: A wise decision?

Sad End Projects

I still haven't decided on the mixer though .
The Behringer is mostly based on the price/quality.

My own favourite goes to the Spirit M8 (with S/pdif out) or SX

Any advise on mixers in the 300-500$ range

Message 4/5                 Date: 29-Jun-01  @  02:45 PM   -   RE: A wise decision?

k

well, there is also s/h... that opens up more choice... depends how you work and what you want... a bigger board might offer beter eq, but then do you need a bigger board?... then you got mic amps on all channels mebbe which would be mebbe un-needed, so mebbe a rackable line mixer with good eq plus a mic pre-amp such as joemeek etc might be an option?... although that'd put you over budget i guess... i dunno, one mixer i'd avoid tho is the A&H folio thing (was it called that?) it was a few years back, small compact mixer rackable from A&H... not good..

but looking at our list , you dont have aoutboard gear, just want to control s/w synths and ad vocals right?.... s um, mebbe like I say, scap the idea of a mixer and get a joemeek or hootersound mic unit for the mic (which'll also get you a great compressor easy to use and a nice vocal sound)...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/5                 Date: 29-Jun-01  @  03:03 PM   -   RE: A wise decision?

Sad End Projects

At this moment the outboardgear is kinda limited (mostly because of the readily available funds :-D)

I do want to add in the next 6 months a hardware sampler and Alesis AirFX and maybe a second-hand ana;log synth

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum