0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: What pisses you off the most?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 17-Jun-01  @  01:19 PM   -   What pisses you off the most?

0/d

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

This place has gone very quiet lately,anyone still around?

Just wondering,yamaha users seem to be the grumpiest out of the whole musician population(from the ones i've met anyway!),what really gets your brain veins thumping when it comes to problems and limitations with your yamaha kit?

Personally I find the knobs on their samplers are a farce,and the engineer that came up with idea should be shot,whats worse is the fact that this problem has always been around and yamaha have done absolutely nothing to fix it in their newer samplers.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 17-Jun-01  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: What pisses you off the most?

n/a

Link?: Link

I own a Yamaha A4000 and i think it's great, the filters r superb and so r the fx, although i totally agree that the front pannel knobs r crap, you turn them one way and the 'on screen value' goes the other go the other, thats why i use the knobs on my supernova to control it, knob problem solved, buy a supernova.

B

Message 3/10                 Date: 20-Jun-01  @  06:32 PM   -   RE: What pisses you off the most?

0/d

wow,You are conrolling the sampler functions(ie not ccs) from the supernova? how?

Message 4/10                 Date: 23-Jun-01  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: What pisses you off the most?

B

I can only use the supernova 2 control the filters and envelopes ect...

all the other functions such as loading samples and editing them ect... are still done with the nobs on the front pannel, and thats still a pain in the arse, but hey at least i can control some things wit me blue baby (S/N). Another alternative would b 2 buy an external midi controler (kenton control freak or something like that) or better still use the included XG Edit software to control the A4000 from your PC (or Mac), mabe you can set up an external midi controler to control the XG Edit software (by using midi cc's) although i haven't tryed this.

B

Message 5/10                 Date: 24-Jun-01  @  11:16 PM   -   RE: What pisses you off the most?

0/d

actually thats just made me see this problem in a whole new light,what about the people not using a controller?Having to record with those bloody knobs,and i thought i had it bad.

(btw I have a 2 decent controllers working into the sampler at the moment,thats one thing i love about the thing,everythingcan be assigned to a realtime control,lovely)

Message 6/10                 Date: 03-Jul-01  @  12:21 AM   -   RE: What pisses you off the most?

crapgoeshere

How does the A4000 sound with the Supernova? Good? verygood ?  

Message 7/10                 Date: 09-Jul-01  @  10:54 PM   -   RE: What pisses you off the most?

trevor

Just got an A3000 myself, quite happy with it so far. Lots of folk seem to have trouble upgrading the RAM and HDD - personally I just borrowed a load of 72 pin rams and some SCSI harddrives off the IT bloke where I work, tried them all, and kept the ones that worked properly. I believe this machine is picky over the brand of HDD you install. If anyone is interested - I tried three HDDs: an IBM, a Quantum, and a Seagate. The IBM and Quantum Fireball drives worked fine, though I chose the smaller IBM because it seemed quiter (and better reputation for reliability). I couldn't get the Seagate to work at all. Thought that might be useful to someone anyway...

Yeah Yamaha seems a bit hit-and-miss over the quality of it's gear. Fuckin' hell, the other day I had a quick go on one of those Yamaha DJ box things, uh, whatever they're called, with the CD you can stratch with... ohmygod, what a load of shite! Seems to have the same knobs as the A3000!!!

Imagine it if Yamaha made their quad bikes the same way. Almost killed myself on one of them once. Er..

Message 8/10                 Date: 11-Jul-01  @  03:36 AM   -   RE: What pisses you off the most?

k

yeah they should get the 'XT500' quality control on their synths   - now there's a brick shithouse of a bike!!...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/10                 Date: 12-Jul-01  @  04:42 PM   -   RE: What pisses you off the most?

infrasound

Link?:  No link

does seem llike lunacy sometimes that they bothered to design such great kit and then cut costs in areas where they really shouldn`t have - like omitting *any* scsi hardware controller chips at all, and instead letting the samplers main processor try to handle it, which it doesn`t seem to do too shit hot of a job of it. To be fair, my 01v has held up incredibly well so far - still looks and feels like new.

Nevermind, I went with the e4 and have similar issues - quite how the buttons on this started to fail after 18 months and yet the microswitches on my playstation controller are still going strong after 4 years despite getting a complete hammering is beyond me.

Seems to be a problem in general with electronic music equipment (I`ve had probs with waldorf too), I think its symptomatic of the way the markets gone - they`re not professional instruments any longer, more consumer goods.

Message 10/10                 Date: 17-Jul-01  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: What pisses you off the most?

funny guy

Link?:  No link

Loads of ppl seem to have trouble with their knobs, never had that problem with mine, jumping about and the like. My knobs still quite stiff and smooth with no problems, could be a build up of dirt that causes it, try using a spray.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum