0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: power consumption on big desks

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 07-Jun-01  @  07:40 PM   -   power consumption on big desks

jungreen

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hello all
I was about to buy a ghost32 console yesterday, but today I

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 07-Jun-01  @  07:44 PM   -   power consumption on big desks

jungreen

hello all
I was about to buy a ghost32 console yesterday, but today I have come across a soundcraft 6000 at half the price. These mixers blow the ghost away,but I have only used them in studios. Does anyone have an idea of the power consumption in kilowats of desks at this size in general(including the ghost).I dont want to get it if it is the equivalent of say running a kettle(3kw).
thanks

Message 3/9                 Date: 07-Jun-01  @  08:27 PM   -   RE: power consumption on big desks

Milan

Link?:  Link

there is a series 6000 at the studio where i work, but i have been unable to find any kind of tech documentation for it. let me know if you have better luck!

cheers...M.

Message 4/9                 Date: 08-Jun-01  @  08:06 PM   -   RE: power consumption on big desks

jungreen

documentation is on its way, apparently.

Message 5/9                 Date: 08-Jun-01  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: power consumption on big desks

k

yeah I mailed Scraft too and they're sending a bunch of old brochures... the scanners going to get warm soon i think  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/9                 Date: 09-Jun-01  @  01:21 PM   -   RE: power consumption on big desks

Milan

Really? damn...thats what happens when you live in a small country that doesnt even have its own distributors for most brands...

I´d really like someone to explain to me the idea behind the strange subgroup/ tape return section and what that button on top of each one does!

I´d be most greatfull for that!!!

Message 7/9                 Date: 10-Jun-01  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: power consumption on big desks

k

well, i aint seen the mixer, BUt in subgroup mode the sub channels would probably be for routing channels OUT to tape IN's - and in TAPE mode they would accept the INCOMING tape returns to act as a return mixer for multitracking prior to repatching for mix ?... probably.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/9                 Date: 11-Jun-01  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: power consumption on big desks

Milan

well i dont know, but i´ve seen a few analog desks and still have to see something like this.

The mixer i´m working on has 16 subgroups attached to faders, and the 16 tape returns levels are regulated by knobs (in the sub-out strip) which are volume dependent on the sub-out faders (i know this because i also use them for different purposes, eg. aux returns). tape returns also have pan/eq/aux 1,2/ which can be asigned to the sub, but then the return signal gets cut off. plus there is a button (marked 1-16) on top of each of these strips which i just dont see having any effect on routing whether activated or not.

someone is probably going to come up with a very logical explanation of this concept one day, and then maybe i will feel like a complete idiot in the moment of enlightment. but c´mon, i used to know a Neve VR inside out so this cant be that hard, can it?

Message 9/9                 Date: 11-Jun-01  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: power consumption on big desks

k

well thats hwo it works... you flip the TAPE switch in and the sub channels become mini-channels for the tape returns... the way it is sposed to work is this:

when working monitoring offtape for multi-tracking, you'd route a few tracks to the tape sends (subs).. ok... so you have the inserts etc added on the channel IN's... ok so you play the multi... you can hear the sub's working as sends to check the feed from the mixer IN strips... ok you flip the sub channels to TAPE to monitor OFFTAPE to do dropin's etc.

with INLINE tape monitor returns the tape returns come back via the main mixer channels each of which has a little sub-channel inside it as a section which'll have an aux send and a monitor send) and you flip THOSE to TAPE to monitor OFF tape as you multitrack... on mixdown you simply flip the channels to TAPE and the tape return signal routes down via the main channels for a full-on mix with aux's & eq etc

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum