0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Best distortion?

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/25                 Date: 06-Jun-01  @  01:07 AM   -   Best distortion?

seenull

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What's your favorite distortion? Are pedals a good way to go, or too noisy?

Not sure how he gets it, but Dillinja has SICK distortion on his basslines.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/25                 Date: 06-Jun-01  @  01:30 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

Vladimir L'Estrange

Link?: Link

Whats wrong with a bit of noise?? the boss metal zone is one of the nastiest pedals around , but in terms of sheer evil , the Dean Markley Overlord is the best , unfortunately these are now considered vintage and therefore command ridiculous prices.
having said that , nice smooth tube distortion (or emulators) have their place.

Message 3/25                 Date: 07-Jun-01  @  12:09 AM   -   RE: Best distortion?

k

cream machine?.. I like The RAT, NOT the Turbo-rat which sounds 'fizzier'... also like Ibanez 'metalizer' or whatever it's called and quite like Boss Turbo-Overdrive, dont like the big muff much tho, very fizzy & noisey... marshall distortion & cab emulator ?... cab emulation really makes a difference.. there is one plugin which emulates cab's cant remember the name, but that rocks on beats etc...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/25                 Date: 18-Jun-01  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

nomad

i think you'll find a quite large variety of answers to this one  

it depends a lot on the source though....when i had my juno 106, a boss hm-2
(heavy metal) worked great with it, but i didn't like it as much on other things.
and it sounds terrible on guitar. i liked both my rat and the turbo rat for most
of my stuff.

the cream machine (i still have this) is great for many things but it tends to lose
bass, you have to add it back (if it matters, usually it doesn't), it's somewhat midrangey.

you don't really need to be as picky though, just try some different things.

it might not be distortion...the nord micromodular has some really sick wave wrapping, rectifying and lo-fi effects that are similar but different to distortion.

lexicons sound rather nasty if you overload their inputs too...fun  

one other box which used to be really cheap but the guitarists seem to have figured them out is the boss ROD-10, which is a 1/2 rack effects box with basically 5 different distortions in them (2 overdrives, 2 distortions, 1 fuzz) with a common 3-band EQ
they all use. i got the first one i had for $40, you can still occasionally find them that cheap.

the distortions in some multi-fx are decent for this too, i use my korg A2 for this stuff occasionally.

if you get tube distortions....truth is that often they are way too "over the top" and sound awful when you first try them out, or are hard to get decent volume out of without distortion....switch the 12ax7s out for 12at7s and they sometimes work better (my ada mp-1 was like this....way over the top with the ax7s but with an at7 in the second position it was perfect with my pro-one). don't recommend the mp-1...it sounds OK but programming is a pain and the controls aren't fine enough (at distortion = 27 it's not quite enough, at distortion = 28 it's too much, you get the idea).

Message 5/25                 Date: 17-Jul-01  @  10:28 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

Pongoid

mesa-boogie triple rectifier. Expensive, big, and tubes, but as sick as it gets. From just a tiny bt of warmth to grease to crunch, to hairy, gnarly shit. Secret weapon.

Ape

Message 6/25                 Date: 03-Aug-01  @  01:22 AM   -   RE: Best distortion?

influx

Link?:  Link

second that on the ROD10. noisy as HELL tho but thats what gates are for right?

Message 7/25                 Date: 19-Sep-01  @  01:58 PM     Edit: 19-Sep-01  |  01:59 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

milan

Has anyone tried out the Line-6 Distortion Modeler? it looks interesting with 16 different distortion types, and going by Line-6´s reputation it should be very good.

i´m asking because i´m thinking about buying a flexible distortion that i could use on beats/ synths/ basses etc...

thanx.

Message 8/25                 Date: 19-Sep-01  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

sensoniq

Never heard the line 6, but for some reason i think the
best distortions are in the older boxes and pedals...the
Boss Metal Zone for instance. My favorite distortion is
one I created with an old Yamaha fx unit -- in addition to
messing with the distortion parameters I overdrive the
eq and it is so rich and almost analogue sounding.

Although i guess in the end it depends on your
application

Message 9/25                 Date: 24-Sep-01  @  08:09 AM   -   RE: Best distortion?

Pongoid

If you find yourself with the cash, the best distortion I've ever heard comes from a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier preamp. Super versatile, warm, and anything from glassy clean tube warmth to greasy, to just the most out of hand grizzly who knows what to call it, but it's scary, and even when it's out of hand you can still hear the character of each sound you're putting through it. Not cheap, but definately one of the best. For cheap, I'd say on old Pro Co Rat, but not a Turbo Rat. Great little pedal.

Ape

Message 10/25                 Date: 24-Sep-01  @  09:13 AM   -   RE: Best distortion?

influx

did I mention the boss ROD-10? damn thing has a parametric EQ section and 5 different distortion types. half-rack and less than $50!

Message 11/25                 Date: 24-Sep-01  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: Best distortion?

Vladimir L'Estrange

Quadrafuzz! Quadrafuzz! Quadrafuzz!

Message 12/25                 Date: 24-Sep-01  @  11:18 AM   -   RE: Best distortion?

milan

Yeah, well... by the time i can afford a Tripple Rectifier i´ll probably be in my 50´s. And i also just got a Sherman FB, so i´ll be distorting and filtering thru that. It´s actually a manageable little beast, you just have to be lighthanded when adjusting gain and resonance.

Message 13/25                 Date: 25-Sep-01  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

99devils

Pongoid you're probably thinking of the Triaxis preamp. The triple Recto is a 150 watt head  

I love the Boss Metal Zone pedal on synths.. It's got 4 bands of EQ so you can really dial in the dirt that you want, and tons of gain.

I have a Line6 POD and have used it on synths, but really it's a guitar amp simulator and doesn't really do as good a job on synths as one might think. Sounds dynamite on the axes though.

I also get a lot of mileage out of the distortion in the Yamaha 01V. Sounds great on vocals  

-Craig

Message 14/25                 Date: 26-Sep-01  @  06:54 AM   -   RE: Best distortion?

Pongoid

I'm thinking the triple recto, but I believe it also has a preamp out. If not, you put it through a power soak, then record it.

Message 15/25                 Date: 26-Sep-01  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

k

sans amp anyone ??

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 16/25                 Date: 26-Sep-01  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

99devils

Ape - OK, but why anyone would spend $2k on a recto just to use it as a distortion pedal is beyond me  

-Craig

Message 17/25                 Date: 27-Sep-01  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

Pongoid

Not just a distortion pedal. Compressor, tube preamp, exciter, echancer, and some eq. That's what folks spend on an Avalon that won't even get a dirty when you want it to.

Ape

Message 18/25                 Date: 01-Oct-01  @  09:55 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

99devils

Ummm... Dude.. It's a tube head.. The things you mentioned may be side-effects of what happens when you run through a guitar head, and so you would be technically correct.

But I still maintain that anyone who's going to shell out $2k for a Rectifier head to run synths through when they could have a POD-simulated Dual Rectifier for $299 is either:

a) Stupid
b) Too rich for their own good
c) A guitar player who already owns a Recto  

-Craig

Message 19/25                 Date: 02-Oct-01  @  09:06 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

Pongoid

not so. Until you've used one you don't know. Tubes are tubes and digital doesn't really fake it very well. Keys sound great through it. Drums crunch up really nicely. It adds way more warmth and harmonic content to anything you put through it. It's not a stupid move. It's not a move for someone who's not serious about their sound quality. Side effect? Wake up. That is the entire effect of using such a device.

Ape

Message 20/25                 Date: 02-Oct-01  @  09:43 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

damballah

you can be serious about your sound quality without buying a $2000 guitar head to do the job of a Pro Co Rat

Message 21/25                 Date: 03-Oct-01  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

99devils

All right Ape, you can think what you want..

I'm a die hard tube snob for years and years of guitar playing. I've played most Marshalls, most Boogies, and dozens of other tube amps. I've played PODs and J-Stations. I don't own a Rectifier amp but have played through them dozens of times. Buying one for use as a guitar amp is an excellent idea, for they are excellent amps..

Like I said before though, buying a $2000 + guitar head to dirty up some synths is just plain stupid and it's got nothing to do with how anal retentive you are about sound quality.

Unless someone else is paying the bills  

Put it this way.. When I need to distort a synth, I reach for my POD, and NOT my all-tube Peavey 5150.

-Craig

Message 22/25                 Date: 03-Oct-01  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

Pongoid

I reach for the best tool I can get my hands on at the time to create the sound I want to create. Sometimes it's a Stomper sound, stuck through a Rat, sometimes it's a serge modular (yes I have friends with those) through a guitar head, sometimes it's a microphone, stuck though hyperprism, and then into a multivox tape delay, then soundforge for noise reduction. Whatever gets the job done right, dude.

Ape

Message 23/25                 Date: 03-Oct-01  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

99devils

Yeah, sure I'm all for using whatever you happen to have at your disposal.. I just don't think people need to buy an expensive guitar head to get a little grit  

-Craig

Message 24/25                 Date: 04-Oct-01  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: Best distortion?

k

agreed - I use a cheap old Marshall 50 watt combo with a pre-distortion... the combi of that cab (2 x 12) and the distortion and pedals gives me a monsterous guitar sound when needed. It squeels alot more readily than my mates mesa which is chunky etc on line out, but never get's that wild.

agreed with P about the original RAT (proco) - the mk2 RAT is weedy... but mine broke (over-stomped) and now i'm using a boss 'turbo distortion'

Message 25/25                 Date: 05-Oct-01  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: Best distortion?

Jasper

Link?:  No link

The original turbo rat ruled, some git pinched mine after a gig.

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum