0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/14                 Date: 04-Jun-01  @  12:58 PM   -   sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

harold

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

i have been lucky enuff to inherit a big old subwoofer to compliment my (rather bass-lite) JBL control 1s. thing is, without stating the obvious, it's really fucking loud. the reason i wanted it was cos when i check my mixes away from my studio, i often have probs with the low end - the kick sounds massive, the b-line is threatening the speakers etc. i have put this down to the lack of serious low end on the JBLs and, to a certain extent have started to account for it when mixing... but anyway, i figured that a sub would give me a better idea of whats going on down there - but like i say, s'really loud, and i was wondering, how you would decide what would be a suitable volume for the sub relative to the volume of the JBLs...? cos like, i could probably drown the JBLs out with the woofer if i wished, but this would rather defeat the object... er, odd question really, cos i can't really see how you'd answer without coming round to my yard, listening and adjusting the volume of the sub... but if anyone has any ideas on the subject, i'd be very grateful....

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/14                 Date: 04-Jun-01  @  02:15 PM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

k

where is this subwoofer located..

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/14                 Date: 04-Jun-01  @  02:47 PM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

harold

it's underneath my tables, at floor level, and when i'm sitting in my "sweet spot", its about 6 inches from my knees... what d'yer reckon?

Message 4/14                 Date: 04-Jun-01  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

Milan

Link?:  Link

if the subwoofer is sitting underneath the table and near the wall (and the floor, of course), then you´re probably experiencing a massive bass boost from these three surfaces, try moving it out in the open so it doesnt sit in a cavern.

if its a proper subwoofer with a frequency response up to 100Hz or so (but not much above that), then it doesnt matter exactly where it sits because those frequencies spread out spherically, and are also hard to directionally trace. (meaning you cant relly tell where they are coming from anyway, so the sub doesnt really have to sit next to you  

Message 5/14                 Date: 05-Jun-01  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

harold

ok cool, thanx for replying... say i move the sub out into the open to minimise the bass boost, how would i then adjust the volume to "match" the volume of my jbls? cos the ting is, the sub is potentially much louder than the jbl and i can't work out what an "accurate" level would be... is it simply a matter of personal taste?

Message 6/14                 Date: 05-Jun-01  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

damballah

there's no L-Pad on the sub or anything? without know a whole lot more it'd be hard to say for sure. it sounds like maybe this sub was part of a sub/satellite system and the satellites were a BUNCH more efficient than your gerbils. but there should be some way to either turn one thing up or the other down. as far as what's appropriate, maybe you could rent a Real Time Analizer (RTA) for a day and that could get you in the ballpark. also, how big's the room you've got this in? because too much low end in too small of a room can be disasterous.

Message 7/14                 Date: 05-Jun-01  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

k

unless it's the matching JBL sub i dunno if it's a good idea to use it infact anyways...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/14                 Date: 05-Jun-01  @  07:51 PM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

BassProShop

ya know, the more I think about it, the more I agree with k here. those Control 1's are little more than computer speakers. -10 db down to 70 hz. eek. adding something that's just booming out low end with 'em isn't going to give you much accuracy, either. if you're serious about getting good mixes, a decent set of monitors should be rather high on your shopping list.

Message 9/14                 Date: 05-Jun-01  @  10:06 PM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

Milan

Actually, they used to have a pair of of Control 1´s and a JBL sub here, at SAE vienna´s studio B.
But they also measured the frequency response of the room and everything else, so they were well matched. Then they replaced them with Mackie´s one day (my babies, as i´m sure everyone has noticed by now  

Message 10/14                 Date: 06-Jun-01  @  04:43 AM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

influx

the thing I dont understand...if youre mixing on small speakers, and youre putting so much bass that it really shows on other systems IE distorts and all that...then...wouldnt it distort your monitors, too? I mean, if theres that much there then youre going to HAVE TO hear it somewhere, no?

Message 11/14                 Date: 06-Jun-01  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

harold

damballah - wots an "L-Pad"? I can control the volume of the sub independantly of the monitors - its got a volume control on the back… what is mystifying me is what would be a suitable volume to have it at in relation to the jbls... roomsize is about mebbe 6m X 3m. ish. give or take.

Influx - nope, I’ve never distorted my jbls, my mixes tend to sound OK on them generally. But when I take them downstairs to stick them on my mates hi fi, the bass often sounds too much. Likewise in my girlfrieids car, either the b-line or the kick are often just too big. Not so much distortion as just sounding to large, kind of making everting else sound small...

so ok, consensus seems to be mebbe not so wise to use the thing? shame, the sub is american & although it was free (we've got four of 'em dotted around the house), i just bought a big old power converter ting to make it work... don't suppose anyone wants to buy a big old power converter ting do they... Still, i figure that having some indication of the amount of lowend must be better than nothing tho no? like, if i'm programming a b-line, i'm not really going to have much of a clue about its impact if i just listen on the "hamsters" (!) whereas at least the sub is going to give me a clue about how loud that b-line is in relation to the rest of the stuff in the chewn....? as a short term measure until my bank balance enables me to get some better monitors..???

Message 12/14                 Date: 06-Jun-01  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

influx

hmmm. just seems like if you had too much bass smaller speakers would show it. dunno though. hard to tell not hearing it in person.

as for the sub, well...how about selling it, and your current monitors as a means to obtain some monitors that will allow you to hear the bass?

see..one thing here..this is DANCE MUSIC for chrissakes (at least I assume thats what youre doing) its not as precise as some people think, or as rock or r&b etc. the idea is to have a hypey mix that makes people tingle on the floor, no? so a little too much bass is ok I think. not if it drowns stuff out, but

Im surrounded by some perfectionist engineer types, and its starting to wear on me, ya know? I dont want to sound like leftfield or the prodigy. that takes MONEY and theres no way around it. but good mixes are obtainable

guess that brings us back to you needing to get some other monitors 

Message 13/14                 Date: 07-Jun-01  @  12:03 AM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

k

ah that depends... vinyl cutting?...

Message 14/14                 Date: 07-Jun-01  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: sub woofer & JBL control 1s.

k

sorry - you just want to give the mastering engineer (cd or vinyl) a nice flat even mix, without over-emphasised bass or tops etc... so if your bassbox is OVER emphasising the bass you'll mix it down, and if it's under-emphasising (!!) you'll mix it up etc...

Viewing all 14 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 14 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum