0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Mackie Levels in Logic w/ Delta 44

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2                 Date: 04-Jun-01  @  02:37 AM   -   Mackie Levels in Logic w/ Delta 44

OrbieJr

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I recently purchased a delta 44 for my macintosh dual 533 G4. I have a specific way I would like to work, and am curious to know if this is possible or even do-able.

I have several synths and a sampler which I have hooked up to a Mackie SR 32.4 VLZ pro mixer, and would like to have that hooked into my delta for recording. My sequencer is logic. I want to be able to have accurate levels between what I hear on my mixer and on my soundcard. The way I want
to be able to work is use MIDI as a sort of sketchpad for loops and melodies, then record them into the delta at the EXACT same volume level as I hear from the mixer... Up until now, I have the subouts of my mixer going to the delta Ins 1-2, and the delta outs 1-2 going into my mixer aux returns (and the knob for this is at unity, so that the signal is unaltered). All channels on the mixer that belong to my synths and sampler are routed to sub1-2, so that their signals go to the soundcard for recording. The sub-2 channels are also double routed to my main mix l-r, which my monitors are plugged into. FYI, in the hardware settings tab in the delta control panel, I have all +4 checked for line levels.

If I have, say, a kick drum playing off my sampler and the levels look good (about 75-80% up) on the mackie, I'll hit record in logic, when logic records those kicks, there are distorted and clipped. I am looking at my mixer right now and I see that it goes all the way up to a +28db where it
clips. Could it be that the mackie simply takes a much much louder signal??

If anyone is familiar with this mixer, please let me know the absolute best possible way to get going with this, so that my recorded levels are always the same as what I hear while playing the synths through a mixer channel. Thank you. I have included the necessary link thatll take u straight to the mixer page if you need.
http://mackie.com/Products/SR24_4_SR32_4VLZPRO/SR244_SR324VLZPRO.asp

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/2                 Date: 04-Jun-01  @  05:31 AM   -   RE: Mackie Levels in Logic w/ Delta 44

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

well actualy you want to record at about -12db peak with digital, but really you want to run a test wave thru from a synth, set it's channel fader to 0db, then adjust the gain so that the master meter reads 0db (also have it set at 0db of course).. ok so straight path thru for the signal... adjust gain and get a test cycle tone running thru at 0db on the meter - - then just adjust your s/card master mixer to the required levels to match and save it as the default set. sorted, what you see at the mixer is the same at the card/software.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum