0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: buying 2nd hand mixer

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 26-May-01  @  12:15 PM   -   buying 2nd hand mixer

jungreen

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hello all
I am about to spend all my pennies on a new mixer. I can buy a new spirit 24/8 studio console for about 1300 ar I can opt for a second hand mackie 24/8bus. They both have similar features but I have been assured that the mackies are top notch. Does anybody know If second hand mixers lose anything in the way af audio quality or noise, or are they a sound purchase. I wont have a chance to hear the console so I have to know if it is worth my while taking a risk.
thanks

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 27-May-01  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: buying 2nd hand mixer

k

dirt is the main problem and worn pots & faders etc, things work out by overuse or misuse etc - give any new mixer a good clean with switchcleaner & lube etc... but i wouldnt buy anything i couldnt try first

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/12                 Date: 27-May-01  @  01:11 PM   -   RE: buying 2nd hand mixer

jungreen

I wish I could try it out. Has anyone tried to service an old mixer themselves. I am not bad with a soldering iron. Maybe Ill just get the spirit studio 24/8

Message 4/12                 Date: 28-May-01  @  08:48 PM   -   RE: buying 2nd hand mixer

k

well just get some switch cleaner lube and do it, or take it in the car down to the local car workshop and get them to blast out all the pots & faders with compressed air, then take it home and use cleaner on all the pots & faders, twiddle them all around until each one is crackle free and smooth - then keep the mixer covered at all time when not in use and any broken pots faders can be replaced fairly easy faders easier tho, depends how the board is made inside. if you get the mackie you need a 100% on-delivery warranty all is working - when it arrives plug it in to your amp-speakers, run a line in to it and check all the channels in one by one... dont sign for it until you do, OR if the courier will NOT wait while you check it, sign and mark CLEARLY on the docket 'NOT CHECKED FOR DAMAGE' - in case you need to claim from the courier.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/12                 Date: 29-May-01  @  08:31 AM   -   RE: buying 2nd hand mixer

influx

Link?:  Link

what spirit board? that would make all the difference

and you can always take it to a tech and have it cleaned thoroughly for $300 or so. worth it sometimes

Message 6/12                 Date: 30-May-01  @  12:01 AM   -   RE: buying 2nd hand mixer

influx

the concept of replacing a part on a 24/8 is nice on paper, but have you ever taken one apart, kilo?

hell no! it aint pretty.

my tech did a 24/8 for me. $350 and that included replacing 4-5 pots and a couple faders and an LED strip on the mains. he's nice to me

I wouldnt buy a mixer I couldnt listen to first unless it was from someone I trusted, but the one thing is..mackies are definitely solid and can handle a lot of use and or abuse

Message 7/12                 Date: 30-May-01  @  05:04 AM   -   RE: buying 2nd hand mixer

k

depends how it's made, modular or not as the case may be - newer mixers are a pig cos they are all-in-one type stuff so you gotta remove a whole board to access the pots etc... yuk!..

Message 8/12                 Date: 30-May-01  @  09:53 AM   -   RE: buying 2nd hand mixer

influx

exactly. 24/8 to the T.

Message 9/12                 Date: 31-May-01  @  04:28 AM   -   RE: buying 2nd hand mixer

k

true, BUt, they usualy connected with ribbon connectors etc as long as you write down/draw out the parts you de-assemble and put it back together right...

Message 10/12                 Date: 31-May-01  @  11:18 PM   -   RE: buying 2nd hand mixer

influx

sure. if you got a spare week or so  man..just the thought of taking off ALL those knobs! which is what youd have to do

Message 11/12                 Date: 01-Jun-01  @  08:05 AM   -   RE: buying 2nd hand mixer

k

well it's either that or 60 per hour for the tech guy...

Message 12/12                 Date: 04-Jun-01  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: buying 2nd hand mixer

Milan

hmm...mixer maintenance...i soldered new leds for the main vu-meters on the soundcraft we have in the studio last week, wasnt too complicated  

(btw, they are blue leds, now the mixer looks even better in the dark  

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum