0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: yam 01v versus yam 03d

Viewing all 45 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/45                 Date: 10-May-01  @  03:20 PM   -   yam 01v versus yam 03d

Johan_wuyts

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi there,

I am planning to buy a digital mixer for mixing synths, drums and samples. The digital inputs are not important for me. I can buy a used 03d for the same price as a new 01v.

I've heard that the fx is better on the 01v. And i know you can connect a mouse to the 03d for more ease in use. Does someone know the main differences between the 01v and the 03d?

Many thanks for any reply,

Grts, johan

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/45                 Date: 10-May-01  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

99devils

Link?: Link

I don't know that much about the 03D, but from what I do know, the 03D has more inputs and outputs, and more I/O options. Looking over the materials on yamaha's site, it looks like the FX sections are the same in both mixers.

-Craig

Message 3/45                 Date: 10-May-01  @  09:36 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

j-type

the 03D has a built-in mix sequencer, and can handle surround mixing. Also offers more dynamics options I think (buss compression etc.} Be aware it takes different option cards to the 01V (more expensive)

Message 4/45                 Date: 10-May-01  @  09:48 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

Link?:  Link

The 01v certainly doesn't need a mouse. If the 03d does it must be very different.

Message 5/45                 Date: 10-May-01  @  11:39 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

Johan_wuyts

Thanks for your reactions,

The extra 2 analog in and the dynamics are not realy wurth the extra risk of buying a used mixer for me. I will need the extra 8 analog in anyway. The build in sequencer is something i'll think i will never use. B.t.w. what is surround mixing?

If these are the main differences its still a bit strange that a new 03d costs $2850 and a new 01v costs $1675 where i am from.

If someone knows more pros or cons from either mixers please let me know.

grts johan

Message 6/45                 Date: 11-May-01  @  02:17 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

99devils

I think the 03D is also more configurable in terms of what kinds of inputs it can accept. For example, the 01V can only accept 8 channels of ADAT in each direction, while the 03D can accept more (I'm not positive on this though).

Where's MikeC when you need him, eh?

-Craig

Message 7/45                 Date: 12-May-01  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

The 01v only has room for one plugin card, which is a rather stupid limitation. I use the adat option and thus there's no way for me to have more than 16 analog ins on each 01v.Don't know about the 03d, but it's probably better ?

Message 8/45                 Date: 12-May-01  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

j-type

no its just the 1 card on the 03D too! And they cost more than the 01V cards.

And if you want to cascade 2 03Ds it costs several hundred £££ for the cascade kit, if you want to cascade 2 01Vs its just the price of a serial cable :-)

the 03D does come with more pro connections round the back like wordclock i/o, stereo digital i/o on both XLR and coaxial, inserts on channels 1&2, 4 aux outs AND 4 sub outs - on the 01V you just have 4 assignable omni outs unless you get an optional card. I'm sure it talks to video editing equipment as well.

Message 9/45                 Date: 12-May-01  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

influx

gb..."...on EACH O1v?" meaning you have more than one?

what do you guys write...fuckin orchestral pieces?

Message 10/45                 Date: 12-May-01  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

hee hee hee, influx.

Yeah, I've got two. I use one for drums and one for the other stuff. Guess I'm just lazy.

Message 11/45                 Date: 13-May-01  @  11:52 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

influx

I just dont get it. how can you possibly have that many sounds going? I mean..my drums take up...maybe 4 channels. bass sounds one or two....that still leaves me room for FX returns and filler sounds...

how how how?!?!!?! 

Message 12/45                 Date: 14-May-01  @  08:07 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

Let's see, the Tr909 uses one for the kick, one for the snare, one for the clap, one for the hihats, one for the crash and even tho I could use more I get the rest of the sounds from it through the master out. That's 6 ins just for the Tr909. And I have other drum machines, too.

What makes this a good solution is that I can have individual dynamics and eq settings on each percussion instrument. Without rewiring and/or soloing. (That's what I meant - I'm lazy.)

Message 13/45                 Date: 14-May-01  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

99devils

Patchbays are cheaper than 01Vs.

I've slimmed my studio down to the point where I don't need the patchbay anymore (for now)

-Craig

Message 14/45                 Date: 15-May-01  @  12:35 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

I rest my case.

Message 15/45                 Date: 16-May-01  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

Johan_wuyts

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I got an extra discount on the 01v and bought it.
So i rest my case.

grts, johan

Message 16/45                 Date: 16-May-01  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

99devils

Wise decision, young Jedi   The 01V Rawks!

Message 17/45                 Date: 17-May-01  @  12:57 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

fink

"Patchbays are cheaper than 01Vs".

what does this mean???

i have a patchbay and now need another. i also need a new mixer and was looking at the 01v.

my problem is although you can remember settings on the mixer, patchbay routings are not remembered.

am i missing something???

Message 18/45                 Date: 17-May-01  @  02:07 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

fink,

He probably meant that one 01v and a couple of patchbays are cheaper than two 01vs. It's a matter of cost vs convenience.

Message 19/45                 Date: 17-May-01  @  02:15 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

99devils

That's exactly what I mean. Using a patchbay is way cheaper than running 2 01Vs, but it's your money so be my guest   I just have to chuckle when I see people who think they have to spend ludicrous amounts of money on a mega-channel board when they really only mix 10 tracks at a time  

-Craig

Message 20/45                 Date: 17-May-01  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

fink

ok, yeah that's cleared up that. i agree. if the 01v can have 24 analogue inputs i am being swayed.

this has been the most excruciating amount of decision making and the time taken deiciding for any piece of equipment..ever.

analogue or digital, number of inputs, etc. round and round i go.

soon my prettys....soon...

Message 21/45                 Date: 17-May-01  @  06:52 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

99devils

It can handle 24 tracks with the analog input expander.

-Craig

Message 22/45                 Date: 18-May-01  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

fink

will it fit in a 10u space????

Message 23/45                 Date: 18-May-01  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

influx

"patchbay settings are not remembered"...

man I wonder what people did before all this automation and memory etc? Anyone here ever even stop to think how spoiled they are? (yes i am included in this)

huh?

Message 24/45                 Date: 18-May-01  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

99devils

I think the mixer itself will physically fit in 10u of space, but there probably won't be room for the connections at the back.

-Craig

Message 25/45                 Date: 19-May-01  @  12:54 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

Craig,

Trust me, if you have enough gear to use more than 16 channels, you don't really understand the power and convenience of using two 01vs until you try it yourself.

Message 26/45                 Date: 20-May-01  @  02:48 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

influx

hehe. if you have enough gear to use more than 16 channels and youre a hobbyist then youre a GEAR WHORE and are incapable of resisting the urge to buy every fucking synth you see 

Message 27/45                 Date: 20-May-01  @  11:14 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

You might have a point, influx, but it's just for drums I use more than two channels on each module. Maybe because it's so easy to hook up - just plug in the jacks and you have that particular sound on a separate channel. The other modules I record one track at a time, modifying eq and dynamics as I go and I hardly ever manage to memorize a particular setting.

Message 28/45                 Date: 20-May-01  @  10:53 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

influx

yeah...I can see it...but still..I have 8 channels of sampler (drums and odd noises) and 4 channels of virus, and 4 channels of FX returns (the FX come in on 13-16)

the only thing is that I have to patch my wavestation in when I want those cold strings and pads...

had an analog 8 expansion but now am thinking ADAT...

Message 29/45                 Date: 21-May-01  @  12:24 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

infrasound

adat would be cool as fuck paired up with an oasys or pulsar - that`ll give what, 8 efx sends and returns?

I`m selling my 8 input card btw if anyones interested, not to do that adat thing tho, just because I need the money and I aint using it.

Message 30/45                 Date: 21-May-01  @  02:51 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

99devils

I've got ADAT running into a DSP Factory. Sweet. Grab any 8 tracks or submixes off the board and suck them right into the computer  

-Craig

Message 31/45                 Date: 25-May-01  @  02:18 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

pali

I'm using and 01v with Adat into a rme hammerfall, now ladies and gentlemen that is the best soundcard plus breakout box solution for just over 1000 quid going!

cheers

pali

Message 32/45                 Date: 25-May-01  @  09:50 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

I also use the RME Hammerfall. It's excellent.

Message 33/45                 Date: 25-May-01  @  11:41 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

fink

so what was the conclusion. yamaha 01v or yammy 03d?

Message 34/45                 Date: 25-May-01  @  02:13 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

pali

The conclusion is wait! if you can...

Yamaha are way behind the times with their mixers... no 96KHz/24bit, only 8in and out on the expansion cards basically theres a new generation of yamaha mixers around the corner. Which will of course blow away the 01v/02r/03d series so when they become available a nice tasty o2r (48KHz 24bit is sorted for everything but the most finicky analogue recordings) will be cheap as, rememember nothing depreciates in value like digital equipment.

Anyways for those who can't wait, 01v all the way.

mix automation is easily achieved using a cheap PC. which is less than the 03d 01v price difference. other than that theres not much difference really apart from the YGDAI expansion boards which are more expensive for the 03d. The only problem is the 01v Mlan option isn't out yet....

Cheers

pali

Message 35/45                 Date: 28-May-01  @  12:10 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

Johan_wuyts

I finally bought a 01v so for me its not important but this is what yamy said about the 'main' differences

- The 03d has a larger screen with a seperate RISK processor witch makes the responce on screen much faster. And you can connect a mouse

- On channel 17-24 the 01v is limited with 2-band EQ without dynamics and aux 3/4 sends. On the 03d there is full EQ with dynamics and aux sends. This is probably why the expansion cards are more expensive.

- The 03d has automation (like the 02r) and surround panning. And with an upgrade the 03d can process ESAMII video and edit system commands.

Greetings johan

Message 36/45                 Date: 28-May-01  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

infrasound

the 01v has automation too, it just doesn`t have the built in automation sequencer. Hope you enjoy the new board anyway.

Message 37/45                 Date: 12-Jul-01  @  12:47 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

boldawn

I really need a new micer pronto, and the o1v really turns me on, however, I'm gonna need this thing to work in two configurations - one is where it's ADAT expanded, and the other is when it has some kind of an analog aux expansion (it has something like that, right ?) any way, the question is how easy it is to swap the exapnsion card ? is this sopmething that i can do, lets say, once a week with going mad ? can anyone think of an alternative ? (guidelines - need lots of aux sends, need ADAT connection)

-- bolDawn

Message 38/45                 Date: 12-Jul-01  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

You won't need any tools to swap the cards, if that's what you mean. I'd say you'll be able to do a swap in no more than two minutes with practice.

Message 39/45                 Date: 12-Jul-01  @  07:36 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

BTW, the 01v has four 'omni outs' which I think you might use as aux sends.

Message 40/45                 Date: 13-Jul-01  @  04:45 AM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

influx

and the expansion card doesnt add OUTS, just ins. you can get a TDIF card, ADAT, or 8 analog in 1/4" or 4 analog in XLR...

there are 4 omni outs. I use them as sends on my setup.

but if you had to switch..its VERY easy. dunno about the wear and tear, but

Message 41/45                 Date: 13-Jul-01  @  03:42 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

gb

Actually, the MY4DA gives you four analog outs using XLRs.

Message 42/45                 Date: 14-Jul-01  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

j-type

the contacts won't stand up to regular plugging/unplugging, they aren't designed to take that sort of abuse. Much like ISA/PCI slots in your computer, sort of semi-permanent

Message 43/45                 Date: 15-Jul-01  @  10:37 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

influx

gb props for the correction. when I typed that I was wondering 

good point on the constant movement thing. probably not a good idea

Message 44/45                 Date: 16-Jul-01  @  12:42 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

boldawn

thanks guys, but I found myself losing my mind over this, went into the store and shouted "give me a behringer eurodesk 24 channels befored I change mind !"

I think I'm happy.

Message 45/45                 Date: 19-Jul-01  @  02:46 PM   -   RE: yam 01v versus yam 03d

99devils

The adat card gives you 8 ins and 8 outs in ADAT format.

-Craig

Viewing all 45 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

There are 45 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum