0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: spirit studio vs o1v

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 30-Apr-01  @  06:38 PM   -   spirit studio vs o1v

jungreen

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

hello all
I am thinking of buying a mixer, I have been given a good deal on a spirit studio 36-8 and an 01v. I already have an adat converter and plenty of fx racks. I know enough about the o1v from reading a few posts btu I quite fancy an analogue mixer for the moment while waiting for this mlan protocol to take of. Does anyone have the spirit studio 36-8, it is maybe too big for a home studio.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 30-Apr-01  @  07:09 PM   -   RE: spirit studio vs o1v

infrasound

guess it dpends on the music you`re making, 36 channels is an awful lot for dance music - you could always get a smaller one  

Well, despite being a very happy 01v owner I think if you`ve got enough efx/dynamics or the dough to cover that side of things then you might be happoer with the spirit - a proper Brit desk with nice eq (even my shitty old F1 had nice eq and that was a right old shed) and a nice touchy-feely interface. You`ll havta forego the automation, mix memory and midi controller capabilites of course, but I suppose its up to you if you feel you can live without that.

Not that the 01v isn`t great y`understand, but thats what I`d do anyway.

Message 3/10                 Date: 30-Apr-01  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: spirit studio vs o1v

jungreen

Yes I thought 36 channel s may be too big for dance but I counted all my outputs from my synths and other outboard to roughly 30. At the moment I usually use a single out from each source. I dont know if separate channels from each device might bring more noise into the system but it is certainly a luxury. Oh and by the way I am not rich by a long shot, just years of looking through the classifieds and a recent bank loan have made my home studio half decent.

thanks
jun

Message 4/10                 Date: 30-Apr-01  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: spirit studio vs o1v

gb

Link?:  Link

Add a couple of drum machines with separate outs and you'll run out of mixer inputs in no time...

Message 5/10                 Date: 30-Apr-01  @  10:17 PM   -   RE: spirit studio vs o1v

k

plus with spare channel you can run delays into channel and place the delay with reverb space etc for 'ultimate delay realism' etc.. split & hard-pan channels etc etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/10                 Date: 01-May-01  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: spirit studio vs o1v

99devils

Patchbays   The 01V can mix 24 channels with an expansion card installed.

-Craig

Message 7/10                 Date: 01-May-01  @  08:35 PM   -   RE: spirit studio vs o1v

99devils

OK, so now I have something useful to say:

For me, the real power (and value) of the 01V is in the "extra" stuff you get:

* 4-band fully parametric EQs

* Compressors for every input

* easy internal routing to sends/auxes/busses
ADAT I/O expansion makes it dirt easy to interface with your computer for recording and mixing.

* A pair of reasonably good effects processors on-board

* MIDI fader box funtionality

* Automation of almost everything

So I guess I'd say that if you have an old-school style setup - lots of outboard gear, hardware comps, FX boxes and the like, maybe you'd be better off with an analog desk with more ins. However, if you're mostly PC-based, or are moving in that direction, and you don't have a lot of hardware effects or compressors or any of that kind of thing, then you should look at an 01V.

Another thing, for the benefit of the general audience here, is that if you're a beginner to things like EQ, Compression/dynamics processing, etc the 01V includes a lot of presets for the EQ and dynamics processors so you can grab a preset and examine the EQ curve or whatever to learn how to work these items. I know I learned a lot from the 01V  

Good luck!

-Craig

Message 8/10                 Date: 01-May-01  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: spirit studio vs o1v

infrasound

as if most poor souls on this board hadn`t been force-fed the 01vs specs repeatedly already Craig  

Aye, patchbays - surely its the maximum amount of channels you need at any given time that matters more than how many outs all you gear has in total? Always wise to have more than you need I know, but if you bought a 24 channel jobby and a patchbay you`d still have some funds leftover for other stuff if needs be.

Message 9/10                 Date: 02-May-01  @  02:43 PM   -   RE: spirit studio vs o1v

99devils

Yes, exactly my point   How much stuff can you possibly need to mix at once? That's how many channels you need.

OK, I'll stop being the 01V evangelist now..

-Craig

Message 10/10                 Date: 02-May-01  @  08:43 PM   -   RE: spirit studio vs o1v

gb

Link?:  Link

Having a 01v exclusively for drums might be going too far for most people but it sure saves a lot of time...

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum