0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: ESI2000 v A4000

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 17-Apr-01  @  07:32 PM   -   ESI2000 v A4000

liquid909

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Im looking at samplers and have narrowed down my choice (although still open to other suggestions) to an ESI2000 with the Turbo board or an A4000. What is the difference between these two, do they have any problems I should be aware of, how do they compare, and can you do graphical editing on the A4000?
Thanks,
Liquid

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 17-Apr-01  @  08:25 PM   -   RE: ESI2000 v A4000

Bastiaan

Link?: Link

Ok I own an a4000 and i used to have an esi4000...so i can give you a rundown...

ESI4000 (i had a 16 meg, zipdrive, scsi , extra out, turbo version) - Easy to use, warm sounding, great filters, decent synth engine, so-so effects which operate a in a 2 effects 'send' per stereo pair out fashion, clear tekst screen, rather slow processing of samples, very easy to learn and use, limited mididontrol, great datawheel and easy frontpanel layout, it's a time tested way of working the esi way, may people have been using it for years and are still using it.

A4000 (i have a 36 meg, zipdrive, scsi basis 4 out model) Easy to use once you get used to it, great filters (less warm than the esi but more radical), extensice synth engine, SUPERFX which can be routed in various ways but are a bit hard to control per voice/channel, many processing options for samples (beat slicing etc.), kinda hard te learn at first (the manual sucks), great midicontrol, decent layout, 5 dedicated dataentry rotary knobs (which are a bit sluggish every now and then..) decent midsized graphic display but i prefer editting in soundforge...(it's the way i grew up....)the a4000 biggest flaw are it's SLOW and buggy scsi transfer...and it't unorthodox way of doing things is a bit of a turn-off for the akai/emu crowd...

I returned my esi for the a4000 beacuse it has sooooo many more options and ways to fuck up samples and play them back i ways that are just beyond belief. and it has a powerfull, pucnhy and clean sound with all the bottom you'll need.... oh and it has a built in EQ for EVERY INDIVIDUAL SAMPLE WHICH IS ACE!...but still the esi is the sampler that does pretty much any thing you want in the most reliabel easy to use way i can think of....it's comparing a tiger tank to a volkswagon stagion or no....aaah never mind.....

what will you be using it for?

Message 3/6                 Date: 18-Apr-01  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: ESI2000 v A4000

liquid909

Thanks for your reply. It will be my first sampler so Im not certain of everything Ill use it for. Definatly drums and loops, which I know the ESI is fine for, but the FX and sample editing option at such a low price is what made me look at the yamaha. Are all the drives accessed using SCSI? or can you put in an internal Zip drive with IDE or something? Is the SCSI errors a big problem?

Message 4/6                 Date: 19-Apr-01  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: ESI2000 v A4000

damballah

esi series can't use midi clocks as a mod source, have to jump up to the ultras to get that with emu. synching lfos and envelopes to tempo can be nice.

Message 5/6                 Date: 19-Apr-01  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: ESI2000 v A4000

Bastiaan

i use an internal iomega zip 100 for storage which is great (ide) i also use a scsi cdrom which is really slow, but most of what i do is on the zip anyway...soundwise you cant't go wrong with the a4000...it's the slow scis and strange operating system that puts some people of.

i use scsi mostly to get raw samples to and from the sampler....some people complain about it's speed and that it's kinda dodgy but I have no complaints myself...

Message 6/6                 Date: 20-Apr-01  @  12:00 PM   -   RE: ESI2000 v A4000

Jasper

use scsi to move the samples and then b-zone (freeware) to name and edit the samples. you can setup drumkits etc in minutes rather than hours.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum