0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: mastering for vinyl

Viewing all 1 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/1                 Date: 11-Apr-01  @  04:21 PM   -   mastering for vinyl

bassbrap

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi. I already posted this to the main forum but didn't get any replies. I figured maybe this would be a more appropriate place (?) for this discussion.

Me and my partner are getting ready to put out our first 12' release. I will be making a few posts here in the next few days on various aspects of this matter.

Our first concern is mastering. I have been fooling with mastering using various plug-ins with some success for the dub plates that we have been cutting. We have realized though, that this wouldn't quite cut it yet for a 500 piece pressing. We have heard that mastering for vinyl is a completely different beast compared to mastering for cd, whickh makes thing even more complicated for us. The way we see it we have two options:

1- find someone here in the states that is experienced in mastering to vinyl. If we go this route we would prefer to master down to a half inch reel to send to the pressing plant. the forseeable problem here is cost. We are already going to be paying at least US$600 for these to be pressed, and we don't want to pay out the ass for matsering, though we all know you get what you pay for. Does anyone here know of a good mastering engineer in the states that is experienced in matering for vinyl?

2- My partner has access to a dbx quantum mastering processor. From what I understand, all the presets in the thing are set for mastering for cd, so we would need to know what to do as to set it up properly to go to wax. Has anyone here used the dbx quantum, or TC finalizer for going to vinyl, and how satisfactory were the results?

We are trying to learn a lot in a very short period of time here. If any of you have any advice on this kind of stuff, it would be so cool of you to hook us up. I feel like i am forgetting to mention something, but oh well, if I think of it I will post again.

thanks a ton - peace

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Viewing all 1 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 1 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum