0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: aX000 expansion

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 03-Apr-01  @  09:35 PM   -   aX000 expansion

Jemma

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I'm trying to get an internal ZIP or hard drive for an a5000, but my dealer says he can't find a compatible drive. No one makes 8 gig drives anymore, which is the most the a5000 can recognize. What's the point? Is Yamaha about to dump SCSI and go for mLan and USB?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 03-Apr-01  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: aX000 expansion

0/d

Link?:  Link

the a5k will see as 8gb as its max,from my understyanding of the manual you can put any size into it,just the machine will not see more than 8gb(which will probably become a problem because it will get fragmented and all that).

I use an old 800 mb IDE drive i ripped out of an old computer,which is fine for accessing things quick,everything gets put onto zip disk eventually when its not going to be used.

Message 3/9                 Date: 04-Apr-01  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: aX000 expansion

Jasper

Link?:  No link

you could go for an external scsi zip drive for about 65 quid.

Message 4/9                 Date: 05-Apr-01  @  02:17 AM   -   RE: aX000 expansion

Jemma

What about using software samplers instead? What can an a5000 do that Battery or EXS24 can't? I like Yamaha gear, but I'm getting more into softsynths; and it seems to me that SCSI-based gear is getting dangerously close to obsolete (which is why it's cheap).

Message 5/9                 Date: 06-Apr-01  @  03:04 AM   -   RE: aX000 expansion

0/d

Link?:  Link

whatever you feel you would benefit the most from,there is no point in someone telling you why soft samplers would be better or the other way around cause its whatever you feel more comfortable working with.

Message 6/9                 Date: 06-Apr-01  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: aX000 expansion

99devils

Dude, go to ebay. You can find SCSI hard disks under 4 GB for like $50. Honestly, if you can fill 4GB with samples, you probably don't get out enough ;)

-Craig

Message 7/9                 Date: 06-Apr-01  @  09:28 PM   -   RE: aX000 expansion

teknonotice

I fitted a bog standard 2Gb scsi hard drive internally in my A3000 (must be similar) no probs, you have to partition anything over 500Mb though, so if you have say 8Gb then you would have to partition it probably into about 17 partitions (allowing for the odd few Kb rounding up) but you can partition it into as many partitions as you like (I think)  

Message 8/9                 Date: 06-Apr-01  @  09:30 PM   -   RE: aX000 expansion

teknonotice

I've just realised I went off on a bit of a tangent and didn't read the first message properly, Hope the info is of some use to someone anyway  

Message 9/9                 Date: 09-Apr-01  @  01:30 PM   -   RE: aX000 expansion

Neil

Link?:  No link

A h/w sampler can do what you want without using up systems resources that you need for all those soft synths and FX etc!

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum