0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Properly treating a studio?

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 24-Mar-01  @  09:19 PM   -   Properly treating a home studio?

syprik

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Recently I've built a home studio in the basement of my home. Dimensions include 13ft x 9 ft x 7ft high. 2 walls are against concrete surface, the remaining 2 are facing open area of basement. A thin layer of sound proofing material was tacked onto thin strips of wood I had secured to 2x4 studs...then I placed 1/2" sheetrock on top of this. Applied 2 coats of heavy latex primer and 2 coats of heavy latex paint (btw latex paint absorbs sound to a respectable degree, so use it   ) to sheet rock. Then liquid nailed a waterproof carpet padding against concrete floor and then tack stripped over a commercial grade carpet. Now comes the unknown how to's for me:

1. I've framed out a heating duct on the ceiling and sheet rocked it appropriately, but the duct runs right down the center of the room and I'm worried it will create some strange echos. The duct is 2 feet wide, drops about 1 ft from the normal height of the ceiling and runs the entire length (13ft) of the studio. How should I treat this area...I've heard to just leave the ceilings alone and worry about the wall behind the console/monitors and adjacent walls/corners.

2. How much foam should I throw up behind the console (the wall is 9ft wide/7feet high)...and the two adjacent walls are 13ft wide/7feet high). Should I smoother the whole thing with foam...no gaps, or evenly place gaps along the whole wall in a checker formation?

2. What's the deal with sound diffusors? Any one use them?

All in all, I just want to get this done right the first time around. I'm looking to keep it reasonably priced, so if you guys have any tips, let me know. Most of my comrades I work with are gun-ho about going all commercial studio grade and spending hundreds upon hundreds...but I simply can't afford this at home...I have the commercial studio available to me since I work at one, but having a home studio is what I've always wanted...peaceful and all at my disposal...just want it to be done right.

Thanks in advance.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 29-Mar-01  @  05:33 AM   -   RE: Properly treating a studio?

k

Link?: Link

can you add a simple B&W line drawing floor plan of your studio showing the walls & monitor positions ? just add it to a post, and what is 'sheetrock' ?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/6                 Date: 30-Mar-01  @  03:48 AM   -   RE: Properly treating a studio?

syprik

Well here it goes, be it crude or not...not at my home PC with drawing software:

Wall A
l-------10ft--------l
l1 M ---7ft---M l
l l
l l
l l
l l
C l -13ft- B
l l
l l
l l
l l
l l
1-----------DDDDD---l

Wall D

Message 4/6                 Date: 30-Mar-01  @  04:03 AM   -   RE: Properly treating a studio?

syprik

Well here it goes, be it crude or not...not at my home PC with drawing software 

Wall A
l------10ft--------l
ll M ---7ft---M l
l l
l R Console S l
l R S l
l l
C l -13ft- B
l l
l l
l l
l Couch l
l l
1-----------DDDDD---l
DOOR
Wall D

M = Monitors (about 7ft apart...42inch high and few inches from wall)
- Upper left hand corner...this corner is jutting out (has a pipe that's been framed out), so it sticks out about 10inches...nothing serious, but should be considered I think.
- S = Synth Keyboard Stand
- R= Rack

I work with very heavy bass and low hz'...trance musician, so trapping the bass is going to be key. I plan on placing base traps in all four corners...but should I stack them from floor to ceiling though?

Sheetrock is the material we use here in states to place over 2"x4" wood studs to create a wall. Also known as drywall. It's like plaster/concrete sheets' about 1/2" thick and 4'x8' in size.

Any other info you need, let me know. Thanks K. Also, do you think I can post this in a more active forum thread...this one doesnt see too much traffic i think.

Thanks again.

Message 5/6                 Date: 30-Mar-01  @  04:05 AM   -   RE: Properly treating a studio?

syprik

File?:  File

floor plan.txt

My bad...I now copied it to a text file...hope this works.

Message 6/6                 Date: 30-Mar-01  @  04:49 AM   -   RE: Properly treating a studio?

k

nope - i need the image just simple line drawing arial view from above to see the dimentions & speaker position - not too big about 500pixels wide max @72 dpi

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum