0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: DIY tape delay/echo

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 23-Feb-01  @  10:55 PM   -   DIY tape delay/echo

kef

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

im planning to build a tape delay out of an old tape machine by making the distance between the record head and the playback head longer. have anyone of you ever done/tried this? do you have any recommendations as to what kind of tape machine to use and so forth?

i was thinking that before i start to rebuild the cheap tape machine i hope to find, it should be possible to achive a very short delay just by taking the out signal through a mixer and then bring it back into the tape machine's recording input just to see if the tape delay thing works at all. any tips/opinions/general words of advice are very welcome.

/kef

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 24-Feb-01  @  05:11 AM   -   RE: DIY tape delay/echo

damballah

Link?:  Link

I cobbled together a 'frippertronics' like box from an old sony I scammed for free once upon a time by splicing a loop onto it. It's been a while back. good luck.

Message 3/3                 Date: 26-Feb-01  @  06:43 AM   -   RE: DIY tape delay/echo

k

Link?:  No link

as long as the loop gets into the guides ok you can create long loops with tape and splice them (get a slicing block, blade and tape) - coldcut used to do that in the early days, running big loops round the place sometimes apparently just make sure the tape has things supporting it round in a loop, like tablelamps, coathangers etc.
youy will get a delay across the heads if you set it to record and listen to both in & out signal from the play head.. if you build in a varispeed you can adjust the delay time with it by slowing and speeding the tape reels like on a tape echo machine (which is the same except they have more than one playback head.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum