0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: what synth to purchase?!?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 13-Jul-00  @  01:19 AM   -   what synth to purchase?!?

djbleak

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Got an itch to purchase a high quality synth that will allow me to create dark Techno sounds and supa phat basslines for Techno or D+B. I only have an A4k and i'm borrowing a Cs1x. I like some bass sounds but it's sounds are not really up my alley. I can only afford aprox. $1200. I love analogue sounds. Any feedback on this subject to help me make the right purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Chris..

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 13-Jul-00  @  06:02 AM   -   RE: what synth to purchase?!?

Jasper

before everyone starts saying 'virus...virus...virus'.

I'm gonna say Waldorf microwave2 ... I'm well happy with it for dark techno.. at the moment I'm messing with tunes that just use one note.. all the rythm and variation in the loop comes from the modulation you can do..

however there aint a lot between synths these days when it comes to modulation.. they're all providing lot's of scope for interesting and evolving sounds.

but yeah, I got my mw2 recently and I've been in shock for 4 weeks now.

I had an a1nx but I ditched it... too clinicaly clean like a trance-o-matic or summit.

Message 3/10                 Date: 13-Jul-00  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: what synth to purchase?!?

r-tek

microwave all day mate, all fucking day. I`ve had my uwave1 for about a month too and now I`m selling a coupla synths cos I dont need em. The sheer range of ounds its capable of is scary - dark, evolving pads, digital buzzes, gentle basses and, well, if you stack all the voices you`ve got a jabbering monster of a bassline. Another is the Waldorf pulse - monophonic, no efx but dude, the tone is incredible, 6 months of constant b-line pressure in my studio has caused the screws on my door handle to work themselves out of their threads and I`ve had to screw the buggers back in   Apparently it makes the lampshade downstairs vibrate too, but I dont care about that.

Message 4/10                 Date: 17-Jul-00  @  12:40 PM   -   RE: what synth to purchase?!?

Chris

Well, i'm very interested in the XT but i'm a bit unclear about the different O.S.'s. There is one at a store near me but, i'm certain it's one of the earlier releases, not the Mic 2 XT. If i buy an earlier release is it just a matter of downloading the new os and installing it and it's the same machine or is model 2 actualy a new piece? Is loading the new OS easy or a pain in the asss?

Thanks for the feed back because i was seriously thinking of the virus, but i now think the Mic, might be better suited for me.

Chris...

Message 5/10                 Date: 17-Jul-00  @  03:04 PM   -   RE: what synth to purchase?!?

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

New OS is a bit tedious, but not too hard. Read the info on the ftp. µWave is the shit for big fat ugly basses. The µWave2 or XT are also pretty good, but not as thick or warm, cuz the µWave1 has real VCFs. You can get a bit more complex with the newer ones, but not as big and fat. Any one you get, you'll do fine. Just be prepared to spend some time programming the thing because it's DEEP. It'll take you a bit to figure out the architecture, and Wavetable synthesis in general, if you're not familiar with it, but it's not that hard. Good luck.

Ape

Message 6/10                 Date: 18-Jul-00  @  07:20 AM   -   RE: what synth to purchase?!?

Jasper

to update the os (latest release mw2/xt is from January 2000) you just download the os sysex file and load it into your sequencer..

play the file from your sequencer and it updates the os automatically.

there are some usefull filters on the mw2.. the sin, wave and FM filters are well usefull.

Message 7/10                 Date: 18-Jul-00  @  03:10 PM   -   RE: what synth to purchase?!?

thomas

Link?: Link

For phat dnb style basslines try out the free software buzztracker. http://www.buzz2.com

It does take some programming but the results can be very good.

Message 8/10                 Date: 19-Jul-00  @  01:15 PM   -   RE: what synth to purchase?!?

Chris...

Still confused on the OS, went to download what waldorf calls the latest OS and it turns out to be ver. 2.29. Just purchased one with OS version 2.33. UHMMM, what's wrong here? i'm assuming 2.33 is the latest? i have written to Waldorf but they haven't gotten back yet. What Ver. are you guys running?

Also, is there a list about the XT i can join to get ideas from experienced users?

Message 9/10                 Date: 20-Jul-00  @  05:56 AM   -   RE: what synth to purchase?!?

r-tek

theres is a mailing list at the waldorf site, I got chucked off it tho cos my mailclient kept bouncing mails   It didn`t seem to interesting to me really tho. Alas, I have a uwave1 so I cant help you out with the xt OS, good luck anyway.

Message 10/10                 Date: 20-Jul-00  @  06:11 AM   -   RE: what synth to purchase?!?

Jasper

you downloaded the wrong one then, I got 2.33 off the website two weeks ago.. Waldorf leave all the os versions on the site though.. I'm pretty sure the version is in the file name.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum