0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: 4/4 is too restrictive

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 19-Jun-00  @  05:11 PM   -   4/4 is too restrictive

yams

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

This is just my opinion and was wondering if other felt the same. I know it doesn't do much for drum'n'bass.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 19-Jun-00  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: 4/4 is too restrictive

pimilk

so then what do you recommend ?

Message 3/10                 Date: 20-Jun-00  @  01:44 PM   -   RE: 4/4 is too restrictive

damballah

Link?:  Link

If you get too whacked out, you'll never get white people to dance to it. They'll just stand there, twitching, with stupid expressions on their faces. Come to think of it, that sounds kinda fun.

Actually for shits and giggles, I started a piece in 5/4 with the quarters busted into quintuplets. It had a cool feel once you worked your way into it, but coming out of a straight ahead 4/4... eeeeeeek!

Maybe 6/8 or 12/8 is for you.

Message 4/10                 Date: 20-Jun-00  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: 4/4 is too restrictive

pongoid

Link?:  Link

4/4 is pretty cool. try looking at it like sine waves and rythmic clusters as harmonics to add to reshape the waveform/dynamics into an interesting form. Additive harmonic and FM theory here. Try it. Not as limiting as you might think, and nice to boogie to. Also, try listening to Super Collider. They do good stuff with 4/4, but trash the Dj Dan remix. It's sacrelage. You can find stuff on Napster. Educational material.

Ape

Message 5/10                 Date: 20-Jun-00  @  09:35 PM   -   RE: 4/4 is too restrictive

H

Sort of like a big FAT click track.Wonder if I can modify my metronome to get that 909 punch;)

Message 6/10                 Date: 20-Jun-00  @  09:40 PM   -   RE: 4/4 is too restrictive

H

You are talking about the kick drum right?If your talking about the time sig go play prog rock.there's eonz of life left in it.The 4/4 not the prog rock.Maybe new age is your cup of tea.OVERHEARD @ A YAMS LIVE PA"where's the one?"

Message 7/10                 Date: 21-Jun-00  @  06:00 AM   -   RE: 4/4 is too restrictive

Jasper

do junglists or dnb'ers actually dance... evidence I have collected seems to suggest they just swing around in a vague realtion to the tempo.

you aint fooling anyone guys.. black or whatever. :P

Message 8/10                 Date: 21-Jun-00  @  11:23 AM   -   RE: 4/4 is too restrictive

H

Just wait until that day they crank the tempo up to 255.

Message 9/10                 Date: 21-Jun-00  @  01:22 PM   -   RE: 4/4 is too restrictive

r-tek

what r we talking about here tho? The actual time signature as H said, or the four 2 the floor house/techno doof-doof-doof-doof stylie? Jasper - course junglists dance......at least they used 2, theres too many dumb-fuck studentes around on our floors now tho who just seem 2 jump up and down  

Message 10/10                 Date: 22-Jun-00  @  06:02 AM   -   RE: 4/4 is too restrictive

Jasper

I know what your sayin, same thing happened to the techno scene with those f'ing dayglow crusty types... stumbling about bumping into decent folk.

I was only jossin by the way ;) I like a dance to jungle as mutch as the next geezer.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum