0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: loops vs. sequenced rythyms

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 14-Jun-00  @  08:54 PM   -   loops vs. sequenced rythyms

dan.wheeler

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Hey all, forgive me if I'm asking a question that has already been discussed. I searched, but didn't find much to answer my question. Disclaimer: I dont know what I'm talking about. With that, I would like to ask about the ad/dis-advantages of sequencing drums vs looping them. I've always done 4/4 so maybe I should start out a little slower. When someone says "drum loop" I think of using a sampler to record a short little drum beat, then playing it back using the sequencer. What I'm not sure of is exactly how... do you fire off that sample on 1, 2, 3, 4, etc? And do you change the pitch/speed so that it fits 4/4 time? Geez I'm confused, but I gotta figure this out because I'm bored to death with boom ch boom ch boom ch boom ch. Thanks!!!

dan

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 15-Jun-00  @  06:54 AM   -   RE: loops vs. sequenced rythyms

Jasper

Link?:  No link

both mate... it's sort of a free range... so do both, and cut the loops up and trigger bits of those.. experiment.

Message 3/8                 Date: 15-Jun-00  @  01:56 PM   -   RE: loops vs. sequenced rythyms

SB

Get Fruity loops, Acid and some plug-ins. Sequence patterns in Fruity, record them as loops and then arrange in acid. You can use loops and one-shot samples in both progs...as Jasper says, use both and experiment.

Even if you have a sampler I think you should still get Fruity for rendering waves. It's the ultimate drum, bassline sketchpad!

Message 4/8                 Date: 16-Jun-00  @  02:14 AM   -   RE: loops vs. sequenced rythyms

gs

What about Fruity Tracks or whatever it's called, rather than ACID. Anyone used it much, any good?

Message 5/8                 Date: 17-Jun-00  @  09:57 AM   -   RE: loops vs. sequenced rythyms

H

Why choose?If you need a loop use a loop,if you need to sequence it by all means feel free.

Message 6/8                 Date: 17-Jun-00  @  10:20 AM   -   RE: loops vs. sequenced rythyms

k

well one greast advantage is this: You get a sequenced drum pattern together, add some fx, compression mebbe, delay, reverb whaetever... THEN, sample the whole loop .... then you can free-up those fx/processor resources to use on other stuff... the downside to this technique is this:

if you use the actual sampler to provide the individual drum samples used in the original pattern it may not be possible to have that sampler play those drum sounds in the pattern, AND then at the same time record the whole pattern as a loop... internal re-sampling can help here, but then the3 fx need to be internal.... but you could sample it all to the pc and then transfer it to the sampler etc... there are work arounds, or if you use other sounds like drumbox sounds etc then no prob's..... but you could sample just the hat pattern and save that polyphony from being used up on the hat pattern etc... be creative.

Message 7/8                 Date: 17-Jun-00  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: loops vs. sequenced rythyms

Frostbyte

why vs. ? Do both as k outlined

Message 8/8                 Date: 26-Jun-00  @  04:33 PM   -   RE: loops vs. sequenced rythyms

dj_whitelist

Yeah.. besides Fruity I can also really recommend
Tuareg by that hammerhead guy. You can do the
sweetest things with loops you made with other
tools. Just import them and experiment with it.
I've never come up with so many original sounds
before.

I think you can get it at either shareware
music machine or at www.brambos.com, not too
sure about that last url though.

WL

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum