0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: 2-step beat: how to get it to drive?

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4                 Date: 05-Jun-00  @  10:12 AM   -   2-step beat: how to get it to drive?

better

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

here's a common beat...
how do I get it to "drive" a little as far as the
kiks and snares go?
move the snares up a couple ticks? how many?

would I move the kiks up too, or just the second two?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/4                 Date: 05-Jun-00  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: 2-step beat: how to get it to drive?

ianrhodes

try puttin your kicks on 50 instead of 48 even. Make the second snare a little louder or a little different
pitch.

Message 3/4                 Date: 05-Jun-00  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: 2-step beat: how to get it to drive?

r-tek

yeah, play around with the timings and setup velocity====>pitch and velocity=======>lopass (very slightly) in your sampler so that the harder the velocity, the brighter and higher the pitch becomes, just like with real beats.

Message 4/4                 Date: 06-Jun-00  @  12:31 AM   -   RE: 2-step beat: how to get it to drive?

mymail

well man, you gotta have relation, not just to the drums but to the bass to. I has to have feel along with the bass, because the bass and the drums together give the song its energy and its drive. how many people can sense a snare that is 2 midi steps slow or fast? you can't program feel... Just lay it down as natural as possible, and listen while you play, music doesn't involve the rational side of your brain, not in the timing at least, maybe in other things but not the timing. I like to think about as a conversation. when you have two parts speaking to one another then you have something. when the drums give the bass time to talk it is a good thing, just like when your lady tells you to listen to what she's sayin... The bass has to listen to what the drums have to say and vice versa. but of course arguments happen, and then sometimes both people are communicating at the same time, and both understanding. but this abilit is beyond speach, it usually happens through no-verbal communication... So there is communication within a song, how do you wish that conversation to go... don't answer the question with your head, just act it out on your keys..
to all those who love music...

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum