0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: HELP! Casio RZ-1 repair plea

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4                 Date: 19-May-00  @  08:32 AM   -   HELP! Casio RZ-1 repair plea

jgehner

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I recently purchased a (dirt-cheap) used Casio RZ-1 drum machine. Two of the pads (Tom 2 and BD [bass drum]) are unresponsive--to the point that their sound is barely audible even with the volume slider in the max position. There's no "springiness" left, it seems.

Can anyone offer repair tips or provide me with a
copy of the repair manual for the Casio RZ-1? I've contacted numerous places for help, without any results. I know it's just a cheap box, but I love the little bugger.

With thanks, --jgehner@siu.edu

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/4                 Date: 19-May-00  @  05:47 PM   -   RE: HELP! Casio RZ-1 repair plea

r-tek

Link?: Link

afraid I cant help there buddy, try the above link tho - they`ve got forums 4 just about every drummachine available including the RZ, so thats prolly yer best bet (assuming u aint already tried there).

Message 3/4                 Date: 21-May-00  @  12:32 PM   -   RE: HELP! Casio RZ-1 repair plea

mratx

Questions: When you play already programmed patterns that have those sounds, are they still faint? If so, it's not the pads, but the voice or output circuitry. Is the sound faint when using both the mix and direct outs? If so, that seems to point to the individual voice circuits. The easiest things to try are to spray a deoxit or some other electronics cleaner into the volume sliders, and perhaps open it up and look for bad solder connections.

Good luck, I have an RZ-1 too and like it a lot (except for the no switching patterns on the fly part.)

Message 4/4                 Date: 22-May-00  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: HELP! Casio RZ-1 repair plea

jgehner

Thanks for the replies! I have posted my problem in several different forums & sites, but somehow forgot to leave a note in drummachine.com.

Anyway, in response to mratx: after some fiddling, (I think) I've confirmed that the problem is not with the pads themselves nor the volume sliders, though I may spray some cleaner in there anyway. I've found that the pads for "Tom 2" and "BD" do actually work sometimes for the first 3 minutes or so that the machine is on, but then the sound inexplicably fades away to nothing. (Perhaps this problem is associated with the unit "warming up?")

I'll double-check the outs, but I think the problem may be with the individual voice/output circuits. (DAMMIT!)

I can't afford to have a tech service the unit, and (barring any other unexpected problems) I think I've resigned myself to life without Tom 2 and the (wimpy) BD.

Yeah, it does stink that you can't switch patterns on the fly--it would be a key improvement on the RZ-1 MkII (harharhar). I use my RZ-1 in tandem with a Boss DR-660 --which primarily provides my kick drums, etc. I've found it's not too difficult to kill the RZ-1's active pattern, tap the scroll button(s) to get to the next pattern I want, and then trigger the play button on the RZ-1 in time with the rest of the music. I mean, if a DJ can work three turntables, for chrissake I can tap a couple buttons now and again. In fact, even if I'm a little "off," it often adds a nice sort of shuffle or swing to the whole thing.

Meticulous programmers are to be applauded, but there's something to be said for serendipity and delightful-
sounding accidents. You can't buy soul, no matter what Roland may tell you.

If anyone can offer specific advice on fixing my problem--that is, what EXACTLY should I look for now?--I'd be most appreciative.

I'm waiting (and waiting and waiting) for Casio to respond to my request for a repair manual.

Finally: I have very few patterns saved and I've already run into "memory full" messages. Any comments?

With thanks, --jgehner@siu.edu

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum