0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Recycle vs Acid or get both?

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 18-May-00  @  05:46 AM   -   Recycle vs Acid or get both?

phunkytek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Recycle or Acid? I was thinking of getting some pre-fabed loops into my mixes to spice up my rythms and add some fills, sweeps, and textures. I need more variations and layers in the beats.Beats are the final frontier for me. I thought Acid would be good for remixing my songs and Recycle would be good for adding those gritty unaturally chopped up drums. On another note what can I do to improve the sound of my sampled drums. They sound to bright and crispy in the mix. Should I compress them in the mix or in the sampler? And at what ratio and threshold ? I've experimented a bit with diferant ratios but when i listen to my final mixes they leave something to be desired. I know it's compression, but I can't get it right. Please make any comments about the two programs and getting my samples in order, and any comments about sample volumes related to breaks and trance for those programs would be apreciated.I'm using an Emu E-6400 and Cubase.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 18-May-00  @  06:44 AM   -   RE: Recycle vs Acid or get both?

Jasper

a easy way to get drums less dynamic is to sample them at a lower rate than say 44khz at 16bits.

try 22khz or even 11khz and different bit rates.

remember the 909 used 8bit samples for the hats and don't they sit well!

another good trick is sampling some noise or my favorite is a ride or something at 22khz compress really hard so it don't die away and there isn't a clicky attack.. then detune it and place it very low in the mix (almost inaudible) just something for the drums to sit on.. sort of makes it less boring.

Message 3/6                 Date: 18-May-00  @  11:26 AM   -   RE: Recycle vs Acid or get both?

damballah

Link?:  Link

Filter 'em, too. Maybe map velocity to filter so they only get bright at full velocity. If they're a little duller and have a touch of room reverb on 'em, they'll sound more like you're listening to a drum kit, rather than a bunch of individual drums with your ear an inch from each one.

Compression generally will fatten things up and bring them up in a mix. Kicks and snares individually, ratio starting around 4:1, back off on the attack time to let the transient through, then lower the threshold till it starts to work. Fiddle with the ratio and threshold from there -- they interact. Your release should be related to tempo -- that is if it hasn't released by the time the next note is played, you'll miss the attack of that hit.

Another trick is to send your drum mix to a pair of subs, route the subs to left/right, but also pull a pair of sub outs to a stereo compresser. Return the compressor to a pair of channels routed to left/right and bring 'em up just till you notice a difference.

Message 4/6                 Date: 18-May-00  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: Recycle vs Acid or get both?

Phunkytek

Good info. Thanks. Also I did want to add some loops to speed things up a bit and get some rythms I might not have thought of. should I just use recycle and export them to my sampler, plus Cubase suports .REX files anyway. I did want to be able to just throw in some airy sweeps and drum fills and rolls: the texture stuff.That is why Acid might be an option, since it is synth and rythm loops, not just a rythm oriented program. Basically is Acid worth the money and are the loops for Acid usable for trance and breaks?

Message 5/6                 Date: 05-Jun-00  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: Recycle vs Acid or get both?

deltasleep

Link?:  Link

Acid is LAAAAAAAME man. It wants to freakin turn everything into a loop. My recommendation is get fruityloops and beat slicer, pick up some cheap samples, and make your own. Fruityloops can export things "ACID" ized anyways. It supports VST plugins too. can't miss!

Message 6/6                 Date: 06-Jun-00  @  08:06 AM   -   RE: Recycle vs Acid or get both?

Jasper

Acid is usefull for creating new loops, apart from that I wouldn't want to write a track on it... why not cut out the middleman and go straight for a sequencer.. cos you will eventually anyway.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum