0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: dub

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 11-May-00  @  01:04 PM   -   dub

idiolect

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can anyone recommend some basic dub beats? I need something I can easily write/work around in Fruityloops or some other x0x style drum seq. I've no problem writing/playing dub basslines, but the drum patterns I've been coming up with seem to lack a dubby feel... any suggestions for programming?

-justin

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 11-May-00  @  01:19 PM   -   RE: dub

k

well the thing is, certain beats go with certain basslines.... so.... guess what you do next !

Message 3/9                 Date: 11-May-00  @  06:43 PM   -   RE: dub

idiolect

well, um, yeah... I *got* that down, but I was hoping perhaps someone's got some tips/insight on how to refine a rhythym so it would fit better to a dub style. Just looking to improve my own skills, ya know - I'm not completely clueless on the subject. So... if anyone else got .2c to throw in, please do...

Message 4/9                 Date: 12-May-00  @  06:57 AM   -   RE: dub

k

post a file of the groove mate

Message 5/9                 Date: 28-May-00  @  02:09 PM   -   RE: dub

techheadz

Try that 2 step beat that most drumm n bassers seem to be fond of and slow it down.It's pretty generic but it works for staying out of your way.Also PBS had a TV show back in the eighties called "Rock School"SEEK OUT THIS TAPE AND IT SHALL SET YOU FREE.SLY DUMBAR BREAKS DOWN HIS METHOD(hard to understand what he is saying just watch it 500 times or so)Dennis Bovell UK DUB MASTER gets wicked in the studio w/simmons drums,guitar,bass,space echo,harmonizer and a wicked board(a must see,this is the only dub instruction I have ever seen on video).
If you are able to find this tape please email me(my girl took mine when we split,It seems that if you watch the reggae section 3 or 4 times a day people realize how important it is so protect it w/ your life).
Another great resource is the dub me crazy homepage which seems to be down at the moment.Look it up on some search engines.MAKE SURE IF YOU FIND THIS VIDEO (ROCK SCHOOL "REGGAE/FUNK/FUTURE" LET ME KNOW WHERE.

ENJOY YOUR MYSTICAL JOURNEY INTO DUB.

TIP:The BOSS VF-1 has a good space echo emulation if you can't find the real thing(I HAVE BOTH AND HAVE A/B THEM)
IF YOU ARE USING THE FAKE ONE REMEMBER THERe IS NO MULTI-TAP ON THE SPACE ECHO LIKE THERE IS ON THE VF-1.As for the spring reverb try one of those Fender vintage reissue reverbs.You need the real thing so you can strike the unit to make the springs crash into each other.(probably why it would not be a good idea to buy my space echo SO DON'T ASK).

Message 6/9                 Date: 29-May-00  @  08:16 AM   -   RE: dub

k

that 'tape echo' in Logic does great s/w dub delays... but if you use a dig delay you can send some out on an aux, return it down a main mixer channel, then send some out from the delay to the delay again, via the aux on the return channel... to feedback the delay on itself... roll-off the top end to make it sound more 'analog tape' eq-wise - there are some dub beats in the midifiles grooves/beats list accessibel from the front of this forum (left side text column bottom) - there's about 8 dub beats

Message 7/9                 Date: 01-Jun-00  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: dub

in space

Well nothing quite sounds like my space echo,I've left the tape in for 7 yrs.Very sweet.I just carry a spare for that dreaded(no pun)day that it has to become a Hi Fi echo again.

if it sounds good don't fuck with it

Message 8/9                 Date: 01-Jun-00  @  06:14 AM   -   RE: dub

Jasper

look for old 70's and 80's solid-state delay units also.. usually about half rack size wid big old knobs on.. they all tried to sound like space echo's, with varying degrees of success.. but they all feedback to extreme amounts.. great fun.. very dirty sound.. more noise than a boltthrower gig though.

Message 9/9                 Date: 01-Jun-00  @  12:33 PM   -   RE: dub

in space

I've got an Ibanez AD-202 analog delay w/modulation(flange/chorus/doubling)It's 2 rack spaces.Very extreme/dirty/fun.I think what makes the space echo sound like it does is when you speed it up and slow it down it's not as linear a sound.Kind of like catching up to itself.And you can leave the tape in for 7 yrs.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum