0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Velocity and samplestart?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 27-Apr-00  @  12:16 AM   -   Velocity and samplestart?

TJ

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I remembered a thread about why you need a sampler for Jungle. In that thread some one talked about samplestart (maybe samplelength) being controlled by velocity. How is it used, higher velocity shorter sample?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 27-Apr-00  @  07:04 AM   -   RE: Velocity and samplestart?

Jasper

you can set the velocity sensitivity to + or - 64 (on the a3k).

So that if +64 a higher velocity will play from a point further into the sample. If -64 then a lower velocity will play further into the sample.

On the Yamaha a3000 the effect is not as extreme (or usefull) as on the Akai s2000.

Message 3/7                 Date: 27-Apr-00  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: Velocity and samplestart?

northern exposure

jasper, is that what a velocity split is? what the hell is a velocity split exactly: i've seen it referred to often but never exlplained fully or defined.

Message 4/7                 Date: 28-Apr-00  @  06:36 AM   -   RE: Velocity and samplestart?

Jasper

I can have a guess at this,

I think it's when you have two samples mapped on the same key, say a bass note with no resonance and one with lots of resonance.

if the velocity of the note is 1 to 64 then sample 1 plays. if the velocity is 64 to 127 then sample 2 plays.

you can also set a fade amount so that it sounds a bit more smooth.

I'd forgotten about that, I'll try it when I get home.

on the A3000 you set sample 1 to have +127 velocity and sample 2 to have -127 velocity.

Message 5/7                 Date: 28-Apr-00  @  06:40 AM   -   RE: Velocity and samplestart?

Jasper

hey, this will work great on basslines.. just have two different samples both mapped across the keyboard.

set one velocity sensitivity to +127 and the other to -127 and then just random the velocities.. might work.

shit, wish I was at home now.

Message 6/7                 Date: 28-Apr-00  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: Velocity and samplestart?

k

'velocity-split' is simply where the velocity of a midi note triggers one of two samples according to velocity (or even more that 2 samples on more sophisticated samplers) - you can also have cross-fade on the velocity switch so that at mid velocity a little of each sample can be heard...

Message 7/7                 Date: 09-May-00  @  08:34 PM   -   RE: Velocity and samplestart?

northern exposure

thanks Jasper and Kilo. appreciated.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum