0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Song Progression

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4                 Date: 19-Apr-00  @  11:40 AM   -   Song Progression

atomicdream

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

I've just started producing Trancecore and Hard NRG music. My equip consists of MPC 2K, Quasimidi SIRIUS, Yahmaha PSR 260, pedals, eqs, effect processors,etc. The problem is that I don't exactly know when certian things are supposed to come in or go out! Of course you can feel when the changes are coming but what are the numbers?? Is it every 8 bars of quarter notes(32 notes)? When does the break down happen, build up, progression happen?? Please help!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/4                 Date: 19-Apr-00  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: Song Progression

ModAsBlueq

Link?: Link

No rules, baby.

A Tuetonic Minimal track will remain nearly unchanged for 5 minutes but will be interesting enough and subtle enough to sustain itself.

Shite ass trance predictably progresses in 16 or 12 bar segments and breaks, and snare rolls etc...

listen, be derivative at first, transform and expand your creative vision, and innovate.

Message 3/4                 Date: 20-Apr-00  @  03:53 AM   -   RE: Song Progression

Neil

Link?:  No link

Totally

I had/have the same problem. I highly recommend taking your favourite record and trying to copy it, at least in terms of the structure. Try to isolate individual sections as count the bars. You only need to do it a few times. You might be surprised to find that even some quite esoteric tracks have Verse/Chorus/Breakdown structures.

Drum rolls and other tension builders are generally used to build and signal the next section or just changes (like the addition of the hi-hat for example).

This is a structure I took off a hard-house track recently:

Intro (weird noises & bringing in the drums etc)
Verse (nice groove)
Break-down
Chorus (nasty synth action)
Verse
Breakdown
Verse
Breakdown (longer & bigger than the others)
Bridge (something else so u forget the last chorus)
Chorus2 (EVEN bigger, woohoo! etc)
Outro (pointless rythmic bit for slow DJs)

There were little rhythmic drum bits signalling the start of each 4 bar group, 8 bar drum rolls signalling each major change (verse to chorus) and loads of other stuff going on.

The next one I listened too was not remotely the same!

If you do this, please post your results. i for one would be v.interested.

Neil

Message 4/4                 Date: 20-Apr-00  @  04:53 AM   -   RE: Song Progression

atomicdream

Link?:  Link

Thank you both for your response and info, I appreciate your time. I'm going to go and work on the structure/progression now! I'll write back teliing you how it went! Thanx

Atomicdream

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum