0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Best New drums..

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 11-Apr-00  @  10:17 PM   -   Best New drums..

Tryptamine

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Kay....I'm getting a drum module soon...I've looked at the Drumstation, Airbass, Xbass, And that Korg thing......Uh, ER-1? Any insights for any of these? I think I'm headed for the Drumstation or the Airbass, But I need to feel better about whatever I decide so thats where you come in. I need basic 909/808 stuff, but I want to be able to get creative beyond that as well. Whats cuts it?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 12-Apr-00  @  05:06 AM   -   RE: Best New drums..

Jasper

Go for the airbase, cos it's new and has a load of funky new things to play with.

The drumstation is great but it just emulates the 808-909 really well, not mutch else apart from distortion. (oh and a well annoying problem if you have a underspec powers supply).

Message 3/12                 Date: 12-Apr-00  @  10:04 AM   -   RE: Best New drums..

ezra

Link?: Link

I played with the airbass (thats the beigh one right?) last weekend and IT IS DOPE for analog sounding drums. (It actually is analog isnt it?). Just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

Message 4/12                 Date: 13-Apr-00  @  01:47 PM   -   RE: Best New drums..

k

agreed.. the drumstation rocks, but cant get so wacky with it's tunings etc.. it is more like imitating the originals ability... although the drumstation does have that mapped drum sound feature which is good... but dont also innore a sampler obviously cos that gets you an unlimited kit of sounds, plus loops etc etc...

Message 5/12                 Date: 14-Apr-00  @  05:52 AM   -   RE: Best New drums..

Jasper

Funny but I sold my drumstation and bought the a3k, now I'm looking at the airbase after the microwave. (so were talking 2004 here).

I really miss just switching on and getting some beats straight away, the a3k is pants for instant dial up stuff.. should have flash rom, but do they listen? do they f**k.

---------------
the beat is ya typical heavy techno delayed kick, with a linndrum conga overdriven for good measure.. the linndrum conga is 12bits of pure evil but well untunable so use it on it's own. you can find the linn stuff from www.analoguesamples.com

you also need to set some velocities for the clap which should be driven quite hard..

compress the lot and resample, then start cutting up the new loop... oh baby  

Message 6/12                 Date: 14-Apr-00  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: Best New drums..

k

hey jasp... your in the uk right... mail me about the kit

Message 7/12                 Date: 16-Apr-00  @  02:54 PM   -   RE: Best New drums..

Tryptamine

Thanks for the response..I was leaning towards the airbass myself. How hard is it to program though? I noticed, like, two dials on it, yah? I've found that I lose my motivation quite quickly when I have to go through 8 digital pages to change a parameter.

K: By mapped drum sound feature do you mean how the drum kits are mapped to MIDI kit specs? I remember seeing something about that but didn't read further. Does that mean it can be used intelligently with the cubase drum editor?

Message 8/12                 Date: 17-Apr-00  @  07:16 AM   -   RE: Best New drums..

nobody

Link?:  Link

editing the airbase is truly EASY once you read the small instruction manual. you can adjust most every valure from vst mixermaps or logic environments, but many internal airbase values go not just 0 to 127 but o to 255.. also some only go up to 64 i think. get it for it's sounds.. editing it is no task to think of as even a task.. simple. also, make sure if you are buying one new, that it is of the NEW model, which you will know because the outputs are now bolted to the case, rather than sort of hanging there. it's just more durable this way. yeah. i love that little module..

Message 9/12                 Date: 17-Apr-00  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: Best New drums..

k

no, and yes.. yes you can crerate a custom drum map, or use the drumstation with a GM preset midi, then edit the sounds or assign patches to that GM setup... the mapping i refered to is an additional facility that allows the snare to be mapped alomng with the kit.. after the kit note numbers, you can have the snare (dunno about any other drums), but the snare mapped across the remaining keys to play rolls up and down the remaining available free keyboard notes in pitch.. but the airbass rams the DS for wierd-ability... just the DS is simple an reliable for basic roland X0X imitation where you want a cheap reliable superb sounding TR imitation...... want MORE than that?.. Airbass yes....

Message 10/12                 Date: 17-Apr-00  @  07:28 PM   -   RE: Best New drums..

ellipsis

how do the two compare pricewise?

Message 11/12                 Date: 17-Apr-00  @  09:45 PM   -   RE: Best New drums..

nobody

airbase - $800, maybe for $750 if you're lucky.

do they still make drumstation?? it's like half the price i think. i've seen used for $350-$375 i think.. haven't seen used drumstation in a while.. so i can't say more exactish you know?? but i know jomox is around there.

Message 12/12                 Date: 18-Apr-00  @  06:35 AM   -   RE: Best New drums..

Jasper

k - I'll email you (microwave2 right?) when I have the full funds.. currently at 600quid BUT girlfriend is mentioning I need clothes, barbecue, (small) presents for her.. hmmph.

So I need to save another 300 before said girlfriend will allow me to buy new synth, I need to appease her first.. christ!

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum