0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Velocities In Beats

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 27-Mar-00  @  10:57 AM   -   Velocities In Beats

nelsonre

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I've been playing around with MIDI on my computer for the last 4 years. I've recently decided to get more serious about it and I grabbed a Roland JV-1010. So enough of the history lesson  .

I'm pretty good at coming up with my own beats, but I have no idea how to take advantage of the velocities that you give each beat to make grooves sound more natural (or real). I heard a lot of good loops this weekend on Detroit's 89X techno show, and the hi-hats sound so fluid. Their probably not all using synths like I am, but I'm sure this box could do more if I knew more.

Thanx in advance for any advice!

-Psycho_Clown

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 27-Mar-00  @  11:38 AM   -   RE: Velocities In Beats

cutoff_freq

as a "rule" of thumb, accent the .1s (1.1, 2.1, 3.1...)
to make the beat groove, and mess with the ones in between. randomizing the velocity values of the rolls will make it sound abit more human. for high hats or tamborines, again make the down beats strong, and half value every other, ie 64, 16, 32, 16, that'll give it some groove too. same when doing snare rolls.
well, those are some starter tips, go from there, have fun, experiment...

Message 3/6                 Date: 27-Mar-00  @  03:27 PM   -   RE: Velocities In Beats

k

Link?:  No link

also, go to download the drum-pattern midi-files here (left-hand column/bottom on the main drum-groove page).... load them up, and anylise the patterns velocity structure... critical to get a groove..

also important is drum 'gate-times'.. especially with open & closed hi-hats.. (other drum-sounds are not so fussy)... if an open hi-hat stays open too long before it decays away it can totally ruin a groove...

Message 4/6                 Date: 28-Mar-00  @  10:26 AM   -   RE: Velocities In Beats

nelsonre

Cutoff, by the 1.1, 2.1, 3.1, etc reference, do you mean the first beat of every measure? Sorry, I've taking music theory for guitar, but not for anything else  .

Thanx to both of you for your advice too!

-Pycho_Clown

Message 5/6                 Date: 28-Mar-00  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: Velocities In Beats

damballah

Link?:  Link

yeah, I think cutoff_freq meant on the one of every measure (ONE and two and three and four and) or every quarter in every measure (ONE and TWO and THREE and FOUR and). that's a pretty robotic way to do it, though. to make the beat groove, you give it human qualities -- variation. also, how you vary the velocity depends on how that module responds. between 16 and 127 might be a touch too wide. I usually have it going between 70 and full on. velocity of 16 would really give me a "ghost hit." damn near inaudible. why don't you play along and take a look at the values you get and use that as a guide.

Message 6/6                 Date: 16-Apr-00  @  02:34 AM   -   RE: Velocities In Beats

gnome

Link?:  No link

model funk   when u play guitar, where do the accents fall on certain rythms? well that's where u should put the accents in u'r beats, a drummer plays drums by picking up pulses in rythms (essentially accents) and a good drummer will accent those pulses to the light of day, and a great drummer will not only accent, but he will find creative ways to do so... "feel the vibe"

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum