0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: How do I create a breakbeat ?

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 22-Mar-00  @  09:35 AM   -   How do I create a breakbeat ?

Shoto

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What do you need to create break beats,(software, hardware) and how do you go about it tecniquely ? Any tips will be licked up happily?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 22-Mar-00  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

nobody

Link?:  Link

i'd say, if you have some beats recorded, wavesurgeon is some great software to chop them up with. cool edit is great for mixing drum sounds together with precision (my opinion) and useful for panning & volume ramps over time.. that's really all the software i use... except cubase occasionally, but that's not the topic. hardware???? that's a huge question. i think any sampler can be used to make breaks, and probably a lot of drum machines are good at it too. technique?? ooh.. um.... shit, i don't know. i sit between various machines & do what i think needs doin' really. edit samples for way too long, have eye strain from computer screen. go outside & do something. play with sequencer & various sounds, filters, um... er..... maybe that Tuareg software is really good for getting some breaks together. i don't know. free though, can't go wrong there! off to work now.

Message 3/13                 Date: 22-Mar-00  @  11:43 AM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

SB

For programming breaks:
Study midi files...or try starting with a simple two-step and add a snare or bd in different positions and listen to the way it changes the groove. Then try recreating what you hear in other tunes. Use Fruity loops if you've got it.

For sampled breaks:
wavesurgeon or recycle...

...or you could combine both!

Message 4/13                 Date: 23-Mar-00  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

Chay

shoto - Just keep trying to recreate vbreaks with single drum hits. If you chop up a loop into its various parts, and then try to sequence them to recreate the original loop, then you will pick it up. Eventually you will just start to 'see' how breaks go. Listen to hiphop loops as well esp. older stuff 'cause the drums are raw. DnB breaks and such (apart from 2 step I mean) are just speeded up hiphop breaks and the science is the same. Also try to use a few snares and hats etc. rather than just one of each. It will really help the break work. Even slight nuances on a snare will add something special to the feel of the loop.
One last tip is get the velocity of the note right. Offbeat snare sound alot better if they are subtle and a little quieter. Also with kicks. The louder hits should just be the ones that define the beat (eg the 2 step kick pattern) Oh and vary the loop by having fills that start on a snare. You will see what I mean.... 

Message 5/13                 Date: 25-Mar-00  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

jungilmun

Perhaps this sounds silly, but is the "2 step" pattern I hear so much about?

Message 6/13                 Date: 25-Mar-00  @  10:29 PM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

Chay

Its like modern DnB drums. Not specifically breaks. Its like this........basic

Message 7/13                 Date: 28-Mar-00  @  06:10 AM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

Jasper

Read boring for the above.

Message 8/13                 Date: 28-Mar-00  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

SB

Simple? Yes, but not boring...it depends where you go from there. I get your point though as most new dnb I've heard doesn't stray too far from the above example.

R-tek?

Listened to any interesting new stuff you'd recommend?

Message 9/13                 Date: 29-Mar-00  @  11:12 AM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

R-Tek

Ummmm.......2-step aint *alwyas* boring but the fact that pretty much every frigging producer is doing nothing but is getting boring. The only thing this year I`ve liked really was the Ray Keith album which was more old skool style. I still love d+b, but I wish every fucking producer would stop wishing they were Optical..........I`m still feeling Renegade Hardware though, even if it is deriviative 2-step and I guess I`ll buy the BC LP even though thats gonna be more of the same. *sigh* bring back hardstep, thats what I say.

Message 10/13                 Date: 30-Mar-00  @  06:28 AM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

daisuke

I would love to hear more complex drumtracks ala goldie ("timeless" & "saturn returnz") and 4hero ("two pages") for example, or hard drums like grooverider's remix of "share the fall" originally by roni size. 2-step actually is toooo much overused. Since drum&bass is mainly done by DRUM a BASS parts at least let's try to make complex drum and bass rhythms ;) and... r-tek, could u explain me what do u intend as "hardstep"? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. bye!

Message 11/13                 Date: 30-Mar-00  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

R-Tek

Hardstep was kinda the predecessor 2 Tekstep - tuff, militant beats with shitloads of atmospherics and fat b-lines. It wasn`t so depressive though u know? More dancefloor kinda stuff that girls were more than happy 2 shake their arses 2. I think Grooverider actually coined the term himself with some mix album he put out.

When I wrote that last message I was in a bit of a mood about it all, I still love dnb as much as I`ve ever done and a well-pregrammed 2-step beat can tear up the dancefloor bit time, but I kinda agree - we need more variety, producers need 2 start thinking 4 themselves again rather than doing the done thing 2 get their tunes bought. More soul please, more funk, more girls back on the dancefloors.

Message 12/13                 Date: 31-Mar-00  @  06:15 AM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

Chay

Sometimes 2-step can get kinda boring, but its the simplicity that makes it work. You can concentrate on drum sounds, and slight variations will sound cool cause it changes th feel. But programming it is boring. I like creating rolly breaks with some complexity. Ya know?

Message 13/13                 Date: 07-Apr-00  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: How do I create a breakbeat ?

unknown_talent

is this breakbeat ? ...

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum