0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Which came first?

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4                 Date: 16-Mar-00  @  03:43 PM   -   Which came first?

rak3889

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ok, I'm a relative beginner to making music, especially drum beats (i started with guitar so it's a bit of a change) so what I wanna know is do you find it easier to start with a drum beat, or the bassline? I tend to do a bassline first, but find it difficult to match a drum beat to it.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/4                 Date: 16-Mar-00  @  03:59 PM   -   RE: Which came first?

damballah

Link?:  Link

Well then, at least play your bass line to a click track. Or a basic kick/snare pattern with closed hats on the eighth notes. Or download some of the midi grooves here and use them as starting point. Once you have the bassline in the sequencer, you can stick kicks on notes you wanna emphasize. Or not. It all depends on where your idea is coming from: a drum pattern, a bassline, a chord progression, a sound effect &c &c &c. It sounds like you need to lay your foundation before you start building your house, though.

Message 3/4                 Date: 16-Mar-00  @  07:02 PM   -   RE: Which came FIRST????????????????????????!?!??!

nobody

Link?:  Link

the EGG.

Message 4/4                 Date: 16-Mar-00  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: Which came first?

SB

Link?:  No link

If you've came up with a bassline first then try putting it aside and laying down a drum loop. Then use kilos tip of playing along with the beat (ignore which notes you play) until you get something that grooves. Take the note sequence from your original bassline and apply it to the timing of your new groove, play about with it(add/move notes)and see what happens. This method works for me anyway  

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum