0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: transcribing beats

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 01-Mar-00  @  08:27 PM   -   transcribing beats

dalimachine

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

A tip for those new to programming beats. Transcribe. Grab a beat form a tune you dig and put it in a sample editor (like soudforge or goldwave).
1. Loop one bar of it and slow it down by half. Go into a midi sequencer that has a score editor (most should have this). Listen to the loop.
2. Start with the hats to get an idea of the tempo. When you've done that, match the bpm of the midi sequencer to the bpm of the loop (if you use a more modern multitrack type app (cubase or logic) you can do all this in the same place, a better thing probably).
3. Go through and transcribe all the other bit (snare and kick).
4. Now the rough transcription is down, go through again and listen for the idiosyncracies of the loop. Adjust the velocity of the notes correspondingly (like a hip hop beat will have a slightly louder hi hat towards the end of the loop)
5. Listen for ghost noes. These are very quiet hits, like a tiny roll before a solid hit or the sound of the snare ringing when there is a loud kick.
6. By listening through and transcribing beats, you'll be able to hear what it is that makes that beat good.
I found transcribing jazz one of the best ways to learn all the intricate details and how the different grooves worked.
Good luck.
If any of this doesn't make sense, mail me at: dalimachine@hotmail.com.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 01-Mar-00  @  11:00 PM   -   RE: transcribing beats

d-range

Link?:  No link

it've seen that called 'the think break' so 'think' is probably part of the name of the orgianl track.

Message 3/9                 Date: 01-Mar-00  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: transcribing beats

d-range

i dunno what just happend, i replyed to the thread above... hmmm....sorry

Message 4/9                 Date: 01-Mar-00  @  11:19 PM   -   RE: transcribing beats

dalimachine

that's ok, did you read my post anyway?

Message 5/9                 Date: 01-Mar-00  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: transcribing beats

Ellipsis

great idea...iused to do it...

Message 6/9                 Date: 02-Mar-00  @  05:28 AM   -   RE: transcribing beats

sox

Link?:  Link

Helpful Hints:
Put each MIDI drum on it's own track. When you do your editing you can solo the edit until it's the beat is in the right place.
Turn the "Snap" off and use the Boot tool to kick each beat into place (that's in Cubase, don't know what you'd have to do in Logic, sorry).

Message 7/9                 Date: 02-Mar-00  @  06:14 PM   -   RE: transcribing beats

dalimachine

Right. And to get more detail, use a couple of differnt drums on each (map a different sound to each octave type of thing). You can get really cool hi hats going by having them not so loud at one point and then add in another hat. That gives it a bit more depth, and hopefully, capture what the original sounded like. That's all well if you want to emulate real beats (which is sort of the purpose of transcribing)

Message 8/9                 Date: 02-Mar-00  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: transcribing beats

d-range

yup i read it, and i do somthing like that... except i'm ghetto and use a DOS tracker program, cuz my computer sucks and i'm poor.. but thanks for the info...

Message 9/9                 Date: 02-Mar-00  @  06:56 PM   -   RE: transcribing beats

dalimachine

Beats is beats man. So long as you can make 'em.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum