0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: producing breakbeats: how?

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/24                 Date: 27-Feb-00  @  08:15 AM   -   producing breakbeats: how?

jwa

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

All of you must get this question every week or so...and I'm sorry to be another person asking agian... but how do you go about making breakbeats.

Ok, so I just got myself a A3000 and I've got cubase running. I've found myself some hits, etc... but how do you go about making a nice rolling old school jungle beat.

Any input would be great. Do you know any sites that go through the process?

thanks

Cal

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/24                 Date: 27-Feb-00  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

R-Tek

an old-skool jungle beat invariably involves loops rather than programmed beats, with the almighty "Amen" beat being the most obvious. DL some of the loops from the filez section of this site and either use the loop remix function on your Yam or do it the "old skool" way which is 2 make 8 copies of the same beat and then cut each one up into an 8th of the original. ie - if the sample is 40,000 samples long, truncate the first so that 0 - 5,000 remains, the second from 5,001 - 10,000 and so on. Spread those across your keyboard and get jamming.

Message 3/24                 Date: 28-Feb-00  @  08:17 AM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

jwa

Thanks for your input R-Tek... well the truth is that I have no real idea how to use cubase, at current it seems highly complex. I'd like to know what kicks, hits, etc you need, and how to layer those probley into cubase to make a breakbeat. To be honest I don't know where to start. Yep, i've played with the loop divide and loop remix on the a3000, but it doesn't so me what I'm after. I think I need to learn some basics first. Thanks for your help. Cal

Message 4/24                 Date: 05-Mar-00  @  04:04 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

spectraphonix

I like very much breack beats ,but I'm searching for
new sounds and structure,soiuse to cutand paste micro fragment of jazz drum solos.
It involve to waste a littlebit of time ,but results are good!
What do ya think about?

Message 5/24                 Date: 05-Mar-00  @  10:07 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

chris

Link?: Link

Here's a cheap solution for making breakbeats. Go to the link above and search for "amen." This program rearranges beats ( 16 bit, mono only.) The results may vary, but sometimes beats come out like you want them to. You can then save them as wave files and load 'em up into your sampler. This program may help you, and if not then...oh well!

Message 6/24                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  07:23 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

www.mp3.com/djspinback

sometimes its good to do a very basic breakbeat using only a kik and snare and then where you would normally put hats and crashes use pitched up speech/synth/wierd samples. you should come away with some god stuff or at the very least some good ideas.

hope this helps.

Message 7/24                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

www.mp3.com/djspinback

oops that should be good stuff not god stuff. if i was making god stuff id probably be sitting on a tropical island sippin cocktails and tappin that ass.

Message 8/24                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  07:53 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

jwa

Thanks all for you input... I've just discovered that you need to go to drum edit in cubase and program from there (shows you all how little I know).... anyway the problem I'm finding is that say with a pattern with 16 elements to one loop, I'm finding that I can't get an even four elements... ok I'm probley making no sense hear... ummm...

1 0 0 0 | 2 0 0 0 | 3 0 0 0 | 4 0 0 0

part 1 part 2 part 3 part 4

ok... each of the four parts (I have know idea how to describe it)instead of getting 4 I end up getting 6 or 12 within cubase.... so how do you change it to four?

OK.... don't know if I've made this clear, but if anyone can help a beginner out that would be great, you may get a laugh out of it as well.

thanks Cal.

Message 9/24                 Date: 07-Mar-00  @  03:43 AM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

jwa

Does any know where I can get some quality hits, kicks, etc for jungle... and does anyone have the programing or grooves patterns for any classic old school jungle beats... thanks once again Cal

Message 10/24                 Date: 07-Mar-00  @  03:52 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

e_puttock

Try getting a loop and chopping it up into the individual sounds (bass drum, snare etc), and program a simple beat with just kick and snare. Then add more stuff over the top to make it more complex. Loops with cymbals over the top work particularly well for that chopped up jungle sound.
Ed, www.mp3.com/rubytech

Message 11/24                 Date: 07-Mar-00  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

Rhea

As R-Tek said, you should start messing around with loops. For example, you can sample an old Hip Hop loop, cut it up into sections, pitch it up/down, timestretch it, etc., spread it across your board and have fun with it.

Hang in there, it will all come to you!

Cheers,

Rhea

Message 12/24                 Date: 08-Mar-00  @  10:06 AM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

R-Tek

Yeah, best not 2 bother with individual hits 2 start with if u wanna do old-skool jungle.

Message 13/24                 Date: 10-Mar-00  @  07:51 AM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

goldbug2000

HI
maybe adding a delay to the snare track or off beat or down beats acn groove a track ...esp in breakbeat grooves.
try !!

ciao

Message 14/24                 Date: 12-Mar-00  @  04:09 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

bram bos (bram

Try it with The Tuareg. It's a virtual phrase sampler that lets you create breakbeats very easily. You can use the built-in sounds, or load up your own. Tuareg does all the hard work for you. It's freeware, by the
same guy who also made HammerHead...
download it here: http://www.brambos.com

Message 15/24                 Date: 14-Mar-00  @  07:11 AM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

jojo the dog faced boy

i love it
"by the same guy who also made
HammerHead...", yet he puts his name on it.

I love it .

Nice work bram dude.
Incidentally, you and that tehchno toys program seq 303 are the very things that got me doing this money wasting time consuming , yet fun adventure of sound
THanks a bunch again

Message 16/24                 Date: 27-Mar-00  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

cutoff_freq

why are people constantly discouraging the production of jungle/dnb beats from scratch? chopping up other people's beats is kinda limiting, i find... and i feel cheap about it. granted it takes abit of skill to create your own, but it CAN be done. if you need samples, try my website, got lotsa drums there.

Message 17/24                 Date: 27-Mar-00  @  09:50 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

raph

drum&bass is heavily programmed - and I think not overly discouraged, unless resricted to non-variable 2step (although this still sounds phat in most tracks).

Can't say that jungle is ever something that was meant to have programmed beats at the core.

raph

Message 18/24                 Date: 27-Mar-00  @  10:45 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

chris

MUSIC- subject to change without notice.

Message 19/24                 Date: 28-Mar-00  @  01:31 AM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

change

the nature of everything is to be unable to remain the same. better or worse, left or right, change is a constant. embrace it. try & avoid it yer fucked. change is good. beats are good too (both opinion).

Message 20/24                 Date: 01-Apr-00  @  06:02 AM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

raph

subject to change yeah! With out notice?

Stop labelling and start making, some things have a small window of existence, but are the first steps in progession to other things - let us hear the other things, and the changes within them, rather than constantly recreating each genre whenver you feel like it.

Message 21/24                 Date: 02-Apr-00  @  03:31 AM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

ellipsis

Link?:  Link

ever listened to house ? i'd say it could use some change...in the drum dept anyway....where'd all those 16th triplet snare variations go?

Message 22/24                 Date: 02-Apr-00  @  08:41 AM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

SB

Good house and garage have excellent drum patterns, it's the trance side of things that's falling into the boring department, and the more commercial side of house.

What house music are you listening to?

Message 23/24                 Date: 02-Apr-00  @  05:15 PM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

R-Tek

agree with SB. When done badly, 4 to the floor (which aint always the case with garage) is the worst fucking beat in the world - lifeless, soulless and totally bereft of any funk or humanity. While I aint the biggest fan of either genre, I`ve heard some stuff when its been done well, and it truly is an artform and can b funky as hell.

Message 24/24                 Date: 09-Apr-00  @  10:43 AM   -   RE: producing breakbeats: how?

unknown_talent

let's see ...

is this breakbeat ?

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum