0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/25                 Date: 19-Feb-00  @  05:43 PM   -   afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

tjader

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

can anyone give us some afro beat patterns(goodons) thanks ging

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/25                 Date: 02-Mar-00  @  03:15 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Try this, it's a pattern taken from "west african rythms for drumset" by Royal hartigan.

The grooves are refreshing.

This is a sikyi rythm adapted on drumset. Each part of the drums represent a percussion instrument that is traditionaly played by an ensemble of percussionists.

Have fun.

Message 3/25                 Date: 02-Mar-00  @  03:25 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Here's a funkyfied version of this groove.

Snare_gh means that thoses notes must be ghosted
(played softly, low volume)

You can also play it slower & swung (16th note swung to triplets) to give it a funkier groove.

This one I just invented on the spot.

Good luck.

Message 4/25                 Date: 02-Mar-00  @  07:10 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

sox

Link?:  Link

Cool grooves.

Message 5/25                 Date: 02-Mar-00  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Hi sox,

Thanks.

It's too bad the entry box is limited. Here's another variation of the sykyi that's very cool to jam on the drums. The hardest part to master in this rythm is to keep the rythm going and jamming with the left hands on the tom. Like doing call response between high and low.

This one's mixed with a samba bassdrum pattern.

Play slow at first then speed it up.

The sykyi rythm is a "party like rythm" from the ashanti people of ghana. It's sometimes played slowly but usually it is a fast paced tempo. Faster than the tempo markings from the previous grooves.

Totally hypnotic when played right.

Message 6/25                 Date: 03-Mar-00  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

tjader

nice rythems paradiddle,thanks.(what i really want is to figure out is a particular rythem on a fela track ...if i was to send you a small wav,would you take a look it..

Message 7/25                 Date: 04-Mar-00  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Yes by all means send it, I'll check it out.

Message 8/25                 Date: 05-Mar-00  @  05:55 AM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

tjader

paradidlle,i sent it

Message 9/25                 Date: 05-Mar-00  @  03:11 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Hi, where did you send the file?. I didn't see it on this board and I didn't get trought email.

Message 10/25                 Date: 05-Mar-00  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

tjader

i thought i emailed you.....ill send again now

Message 11/25                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  02:58 AM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

It's still didn't get trought, maybe the file is too big. If not, can't you upload it here?

Message 12/25                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  01:34 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

tjader

fela beat

Message 13/25                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  01:53 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

tjader

files to big the track is roforofo fight (fela) dont no if you no it..if not would you do us some conga patterns..thanks ging

Message 14/25                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  04:22 PM   -   flaflaflaflaflaflaFalFalFalBalBalBaalBaalBaal

nobody

Link?: Link

i like some of those grooveTemps. yeah, give us some more  

Message 15/25                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  09:05 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

It's too bad, I would have liked to hear that groove you tried to send. I think hotmail doesn't like messages that are more than 1 meg. I could give you my real e-mail but I'll get spammed for sure.

Anyway here's a guaguanco, pronouced "gwawanko", I'll only give you the basic conga melody cuz it might be a little intricate to write the rhythms on this virtual noiseless drumbox :-).

It's a cuban rythm that grooves a lot. I'm sure you could apply it to any form of music.

In the real style, the music can be played 2 ways that is dictated by the clave "key". One is the 2/3 clave which goes like this:

x x x x x

and the other is the 3/2:

x x x x x

The measure is reversed. Play it and try to feel the 2 ways you can play the rhythm.

You can hear the music in 2 different perpectives.

All forms of cuban music relies on that key (played usually with wooden stick).

This the basic conga rythm:

Message 16/25                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Here's the drumset version (can be played different ways). It only mimicks the traditional percussion parts.

Message 17/25                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Here's a funkier version on drum set.

Remember: snrghost is snare drum played at low volume.
(ghost notes).

Play it with a straight feeling or with a swing feeling (slower tempos)

Message 18/25                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  10:18 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Here's funky groove with a jazz ride pattern.

Play this with a swing/loose feeling. Think "jazz".

Message 19/25                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  10:55 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Here's a drum groove using real drums. (an old take I did directly on the pc awhile ago.)

Message 20/25                 Date: 08-Mar-00  @  01:36 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

tjader

its not easy sending the files is it parrapiddle.thanks 4 the extra patterns though.

Message 21/25                 Date: 08-Mar-00  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

k

shall i rejig the file upload here to allow mpeg & ra too ?... might be an idea eh?...

Message 22/25                 Date: 09-Mar-00  @  04:12 AM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Here's another songo break variation. The hihat part is inspired by a david garibaldi groove (oakland stroke).

Slowing & swinging the beat makes it flow even better.
Remember to ghost the unaccented snare notes.

Message 23/25                 Date: 09-Mar-00  @  04:24 AM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Yeah it would be cool to be able to upload something other than midi files. I'd like to hear some drum grooves from other users.

Here's something else to try. Swing this mother!

Message 24/25                 Date: 09-Mar-00  @  02:21 PM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

tjader

parradiddle,what is the best way to learn more about various rythems...thought about classes(love to do latin percussion)..seen various patterns written in (notation)i cant understand them (read something about a bass and clef chart would that help)

Message 25/25                 Date: 10-Mar-00  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: afro beat (fela kuti is..god)

paradiddle16

Listen!

You just gotta listen man, keep your ears open. You'll pick up on different stuff. Make your own shit out of it. Everybody has something to offer and so do you.

Check your favorite musician's influences. Dig into their roots, get to know how they do what they do.

That's really the best advice I could really give you.
That's the path I try to follow.

Viewing all 25 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 25 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum