0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: skull cracking snare hits

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7                 Date: 18-Feb-00  @  11:10 PM   -   skull cracking snare hits

nobody

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

how is it no snare sample sounds nearly hard enough? none i've heard on any sample cd, from any drummachine/module.. none of them even feel even as hard as a minor concussion. i want the hardest CRACK sound anywhere.. or it can sound like KKA or something. r-tek? anyone else know those sounds i'm searching for? maybe that sox guy was right when he told me to hit cardboard boxes with drumsticks & mic it..

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/7                 Date: 19-Feb-00  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: skull cracking snare hits

damballah

Well, you could roll your own. Or find one that's almost there, pull it out of its own output and process the living shit out of it with outboard eqs and compressors. That might help you work the right tone and dynamics into your mix. Sometimes things that sound good on their own go flat in a mix.(Works for kick drums, too). I like drums to have a physical presence. I like my kick to be a punch in the gut and the snare to be a slap in the face or a crack to the jaw, so when you're recoiling from one, you get whapped with the other. Would work with DavidM, too, 'ey nobody  

Message 3/7                 Date: 20-Feb-00  @  10:36 AM   -   RE: skull cracking snare hits

k

Link?:  No link

aha, try my personal collection of snare hits in the FILE LIBRARY section... look on the right opening page for SAMPLES... look for the snare zip ... there is snares in there harsh enuff to crack the windows... you can layer 'em obviously... i made 'em with a brass vintage Rodgers snare... lots of rimshots for 'snap' (real rimshots, not what a drumbox calls a rimshot)

Message 4/7                 Date: 21-Feb-00  @  08:06 AM   -   RE: skull cracking snare hits

lyrebird

eq, gain, compression

swing a parametric around till u here what you want,

compression can make snares real snappy

also layering a snare hit with a distorted open hat is what I hear a lot.

Message 5/7                 Date: 22-Feb-00  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: skull cracking snare hits

menshevick

I've sampled some really nice snares from dub albums.

Just a suggestion
R

Message 6/7                 Date: 23-Feb-00  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: skull cracking snare hits

kierkegaard

Compressor with a slowish attack, slow enough to let the front 'crack' through, longish release to drag the 'tail' down, use a high ratio and you can crank the make-up gain up to make the 'crack' ring out. Parametric EQ is useful for fine-tuning too.

Test it on small children (5 or 6 years of age). If you can make them cry then it's a good 'un.

Message 7/7                 Date: 23-Feb-00  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: skull cracking snare hits

nobody

cool shit, i got answers!

thanks.. i've got to do it without a compressor or outboard eq, though my sampler did have parametric eq & distortion fx.. so now it's fx board has to go & be defective   i'll spare you the details, but i should get a replacement in 10 days time, maybe a few less.. any more ideas though, um.. go ahead?

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum