0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: hip hop drum create

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 30-Jan-00  @  12:21 PM   -   hip hop drum create

goer

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

as a former techno comoser, i'm trying to switch to hip hop cos tehcno become so boring..
i was wondering if anyone knows links where to fing tutorials to understand hip hop groove construction or anyone so kind to explain it in this forum with exemples.. thanks

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 30-Jan-00  @  11:04 PM   -   RE: hip hop drum create

Ellipsis

Link?:  Link

get a drum set...learn to play for real...then your programming will be quite good

Message 3/10                 Date: 31-Jan-00  @  05:27 AM   -   RE: hip hop drum create

sox

Your best bet is to listen to the original tracks that
are being sampled on a regular basis by the hip hop artists. ie. James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, etc etc. and then try and recreate them in your sequencer. Or you could use something like Hammmerhead which has some quite good built-in grooves.
The main thing is to keep an open mind to what you use.
Hip Hop uses everything from 606/909 patterns to sampled funk grooves to rock beats for its rhythmic backbone. Its how the groove is applied and the tempo it's used at. Other than an average tempo between 70-90 bpm it's pretty much wide open.

Message 4/10                 Date: 31-Jan-00  @  05:53 AM   -   RE: hip hop drum create

goer

agree.. but i heard about some kinds of constructions like 3.3.3.2.2 beat or somethings.. any ideas?

but more than the drum beat, the most important part for me is what can be call the "ambient" part of hip hop.. the synth part in fact.. any rules or ideas ?

Message 5/10                 Date: 31-Jan-00  @  01:21 PM   -   RE: hip hop drum create

R-Tek

The cliche hip hop bassound is a pitched down 808 following the kik. If u aint got rebirth or whatever DL an 808 kik from one of the numerous resources on the web, pitch it down and have a play. Incidentally, I`ve found that a deep piano note, pitched down slightly and treated to a lopass filter gives a wonderfully warm basstone 4 hip hop - give it a try, hip hops all about the sampler, synths aint so important

Message 6/10                 Date: 01-Feb-00  @  05:08 AM   -   RE: hip hop drum create

bodya

it's a basic hiphop beats. the key is 8th beat. you can set it to kick or snare. 75-100 bpm.

Message 7/10                 Date: 14-Feb-00  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: hip hop drum create

k

nah way with hammerhead, getting good grooves requires real control over velocity and note placement - it cant be too 'square'

Message 8/10                 Date: 25-Feb-00  @  12:09 PM   -   RE: hip hop drum create

ezra

Hip Hop beats are bit like house beats in that shuffeling/swinging the hell out of it is sometimes the key to getting the sound you want.

This doesnt apply to the new york new school hip hop beats (smx/master-P) I think the formula for their beats goes something like this.

1) get an 808
2) if you have any talent, set it aside
3) put down the snares somwhere close to where they need to go.
4) slam down a bunch of hihats just anywhere.
5) slam down a bunch of kiks/snares just anywhere.

now, make sure to use a constant velocity of 128 on EVERYTHING, so as to remove as much rythem as possible.

ta-dah

Message 9/10                 Date: 25-Feb-00  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: hip hop drum create

pulaski

i'd agree about the newer commercial stuff...but i've recently been suprised to find that some of it, usually more on the r&b side, actually has some really interesting drum programming in it, almost sounds like d&b at times...but what's neat is that i've heard a lot of actual drum programming and not just loops...damn, wish i knew track names...the commercial hip-hop station i listen to never gives track ids...but that one song that goes "say my name, say my name..." has a great well programmed rythm to it..love it...peace

Message 10/10                 Date: 27-Feb-00  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: hip hop drum create

Pongoid

If you want some good stuff, get your hands on stuff engineered by Hank Shocklee (Public Enemy), or King Shameek (King Sun, Twin Hype), or Rakim's stuff (can't remember his name), and just study it note for note. A lot of that is an sp12 or a studio 440. Also, you could check out Mantronix if you're in the process of crossing over. Work out your own formula. Good luck.
Ape

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum