0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Creating Beats

Viewing all 115 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

Original Message 1/115                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  10:29 AM   -   Creating Beats

karibe

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I'm wanting to know what do I really need to create some fat beats I have no hardware except for a computer with alot of memory. What all do I need to get started and how much would it cost.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/115                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  03:30 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

U could do it all on yer computer with the right software and a half-decent soundcard but you`d probably b better off with a sampler of some description and a mixer.....and software, of course....and a half-decent soundcard......which is when it all starts 2 get a little expensive.....

Message 3/115                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  05:42 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

toejam

If you have no budget and no external gear, download the freeware program called Hammer from Shareware Music Machine. It's a must have toy for even us professionals.

Message 4/115                 Date: 07-Nov-99  @  06:00 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

sox

Link?:  Link

I think you'll find it's actually called Hammerhead and
Kilo has it in his "Filez" pile somewhere on the site.
And you're absolutely right about it being an essential in the drum sequencing arsenal. For a lot of people it's THE starting point.

Message 5/115                 Date: 11-Nov-99  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

karibe

Ok what kind of sound card is the best .I really do not have a budget of any kind as long as it does not go over about $5,000 that is the most I think I am willing to spend to start . I just need the names of the software and hardware that will work the best i already got cakewalk 9 sound fordge vegas pro cool editand some other programs that i was talked into buying but i need more If anyone can helpit would of much help to me thanks

Message 6/115                 Date: 12-Nov-99  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

The computer is a good recording and editing tool but it's not really something that you can 'play'. Try getting something that you can interact with like an analog synth keyboard that can do good bass. The Virus Kb just came out and is really great for the money. Maybe think about some of the DrumKat trigger boards for playing your beats with sticks. Samplers like the Emu ESI's are very friendly and powerful. Samplers are the heart of most studios, particularly if your making dance music. And of course try to get yourself a good mixer with sweepable midrange EQ. Don't skimp and get crappy patch cables. Get the ones that are guaranteed for life like Conquest or Switchcraft. They really do sound better. As for soundcards I particularly find the Event Layla interesting although I do not own it. If I was you I wouldn't go out and spend $5000 all in one big wump. You'll maybe end up getting stuff you dislike and wish you had looked around more. Take your time and learn as you go. It's your talent and experience that will make your music sound good not necessarily the equipment. I've met people with tons of fantastic gear that really don't know what they are doing with it. And once in a while I meet folks that can make a pile of shit groove like hell. Just my opinions. Everyone will have a different approach.

Message 7/115                 Date: 13-Nov-99  @  07:31 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Delta Sleep

Link?: Link

WHOA WHOA WHOA
where have you folks been? Fruityloops makes all this crap look so unprofressional. i'm dissapointed that a 16 year old kid knows more about this stuff than you.
oh yeah, i was looking on another board and obviously none of them know anything about jungle either, so i dropped a groove for you

Message 8/115                 Date: 13-Nov-99  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

....we know nothing about jungle? I`ve been listening to it 4 8 years now! Half your fucking lifetime mate!........Fruity Loops is good (better than Rebirth) but inflexible 4 proper jungle "grooves"........

Message 9/115                 Date: 14-Nov-99  @  01:45 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

For sale: JP-8000, Moog Modular, Nord 2, Oberhiem Matrix12, Access Virus, TR909, TR808. Will only accept trade for Fruitloops or enough cash to buy it... Go Fruitloops!...Yeah man, yeah!!

Message 10/115                 Date: 14-Nov-99  @  01:57 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Omega Flatulance

Hey Delta Sleep, that's a mighty fast hip hop groove you got there.

Message 11/115                 Date: 14-Nov-99  @  06:56 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

.......next he`s gonna tell us the soundblaster live card is the best sampler money can buy..........

Message 12/115                 Date: 14-Nov-99  @  10:33 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Delta Sleep

haha, well, i programmed alot of the stuff you guys have put up, and it sounded like a marching band, am i doing something wrong? Hammerhead is too limited in the amount of samples you can have open, thats the major downside, it is a fairly quick little program though.

Message 13/115                 Date: 14-Nov-99  @  11:14 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

...if it sounded like a marching band u r probably using the wrong type of beats, the only groove I`ve put up is "Funky Drummer" and if U cant get that 2 sound good, u should take up house music or something else less cerebrally challenging...........or maybe even "Marching band" music.........

......look, no offence buddy, but u really need 2 show a bit more respect 4 the people on this site, some of whom (myself not included) r professionals who know a damn site more than u do. If u`d read the other threads properly u`d know that Sox is a drummer of some distinction and if HE says Hammerhead is an important piece of the drumtrak arsenal, then who r u (or me 4 that matter) 2 argue?..........

Message 14/115                 Date: 14-Nov-99  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

No Offense to you Delta, even though you have offended everyone that has ever contributed to this site, but the patterns are what you make them. If you can't make them sound interesting then that says more about your own experience level than the people who wrote them. Dynamics, Pitch, Timbre, Equalization, Fx, Quantization Style, and context that the groove is applied to all have a drastic impact on the way the loop sounds. It doesn't matter if you just closed your eyes and randomly picked out the hits for the groove. The experienced programmer could make it burn if he had to. If you wan't people to take you seriously, then stop putting us down and simply inspire us. We are not competing against each other. This is a help forum for people to get better informed. Why don't you ask us how to make your loops sound better rather than assume that you are a seasoned expert who knows more than everyone else. So far no one is convinced.

Message 15/115                 Date: 15-Nov-99  @  05:01 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Heyyyyyyy! Deltaaaaaa! My maaaaaaaaaaan! 4 a laugh, I thought I`d program your "groove" 2 c what it sounded like and u know what? U have NO understanding of d+b, its obvious u dont mix, cos if u did, u wouldn`t have a snare as the final beat of the bar b4 the 1st downbeat - always use a bit of percussion as the last beat of a bar, DJs need a nice clear 1st beat so they know what the fuck is going on and keep a track of their mix while chopping and seguing. Just thought I`d mention it........I`m so disappointed that a 22 year old whos been into jungle since its inception knows more than a 16 year old kid with an attitude problem.............................hit me with it toughguy....................

Message 16/115                 Date: 15-Nov-99  @  05:17 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

chris

R-tek is correct.......

Message 17/115                 Date: 15-Nov-99  @  08:14 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

wai

Wow!! These threads look interesting, What the Fuck is Delta on?? Still E'd up i guess. He'll be saying that Evolution Dance Station's the best sequencer around.
Nothing wrong with that tho

Message 18/115                 Date: 15-Nov-99  @  09:16 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

ha

Message 19/115                 Date: 15-Nov-99  @  10:44 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Delta?.........Delta??!!........Hmmm. Scared him off. At least BSTANTON had balls enough to defend himself. If he's gone, he's just gonna pop up as someone other...uh, well you know. ANYHOW that's interesting about the last beat thing, R-tek. I always sort of did it but never knew why I did it or even payed any attention to it. What other general 'rules' are there? It's interesting to break it all down like that sometimes.

Message 20/115                 Date: 16-Nov-99  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Well, there r no rules really, I guess thats the point of dance music in general and I dont want 2 advocate "Music by Numbers" formulas either but, d+b is made 4 dancefloors and the DJ, basically, has 2 ride the tunes he (or she) is playing to move the floor. So basic things which I guess u already know r 2 put plenty of movement in the to rythym section throughout the tune - constantly evolving drums so the DJ can use each change in rythym as an index 2 work the EQ, faders etc. Another thing is to put cues (stabs, breaks, FX etc.) at the start of 16/32 or 64 bar phrases 4 the same reasons. Intros r something that really piss me off, if you`re gonna have a nice long synth intro without any beats in yer tunes that fade in, PLEASE put a little bit of perc; fx or even the sound of yer dog breaking wind so u know where the tunes actually starts and can cue from it (I know that sounds obvious but u wouldn`t believe how many producers go through the bother of orchestrating an epic opening to their track and then leave nothing 4 the DJ 2 cue, or even index from). Also, in intros and just b4 and after the 1st break in the rinse, have lots of nice drum edits and FX, stabs etc. - maybe something a little bit wilder than the rest of the track so the DJ can segue in and out these bits and also say, the last bar of 16/32 or 64 phrases, kill the beats and just have a bit of bass or kill the bass and just beats 2 ease the transition into the next record. Same again in intros. Dont have a big long bassline running through the intro either, its impossible 2 EQ out and mooses up the mix. Instead, put little stabs of bass or FX for the last bar of 8/16/32, again, for seguing. Theres plenty more, but really, what I`m getting at is this: think about the dynamics of the tune you`re making both in structure and in sonic movement. Dynamics, dynamics, dynamics; movement, movement movement..................

Message 21/115                 Date: 16-Nov-99  @  09:12 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

There's this surreal human voice reciting some odd lines then it disappears in a flurry of distortion then the beat comes in. Hard to describe but its the intro for the track that I'm doing now. I hadn't thought to give a rythmic cue at the end. I'll try incorporating that into it tonight and see if it will add the necessary anticipation. The end of the track kind of thins out to single elements that swap rapidily from one to another then disappear all of a sudden so I guess that will be perfect for DJ'ing. As far as dynamics yeah I think I got that and then some. I usually have to tone the whole thing down a few times as I'm working on it cuz I end up going nuts then have no room for bass. In the end I just trim and trim and trim until I get a dynamic sound with fewer elements. Less is more sometimes. Anyhow, thanks. This gives me something new to think about as I wrap this track up.

Message 22/115                 Date: 17-Nov-99  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

stephenb

Nice one R-tek. Thats the first time I've read a detailed post about the relationship between making club music and DJ'ing.

This applies to all club orientated music. As a DJ, the amount of tracks I wanted to implement into a set but didn't due to their DJ unfriendliness was ridiculous.
Most DJ's seem to overcome this by ignoring it, they concentrate solely on beat matching and don't seem to care about key clashes or the resultant noise they create. Then again, most DJ's don't even seem to be capable of beat matching!

Cutting in records can be just as creative as beat matching, so if it ain't going to mix - don't mix it!

Of course, everybody at Dancetech will be producing tunes with long percusive intros and outros from now on so DJ's can mix and chop 'till their hearts content!

Message 23/115                 Date: 18-Nov-99  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

being a good dj is really about the tunes u play and nothing more but, it really pisses me off when u pay good money 2 see a big name dj and all they do is mix one tune into the next with just the x-fader (no EQ, no seguing, nothing) and as u rightly said Steve, a lot of the buggers cant even manage that properly. I definately prefer the smooth, seamless approach but a good dj, when they get busy on the fader, can cause dancfloor devestation just by cutting between the tracks and dropping various elements into the mix. If iI hear a dj fuckup a mix it dont bother me as long as I know their trying which (trying to work the records)is something very few of `em in d+b at least dont seem 2 do anymore.................steve - is that DMA design, as in "Lemmings"? And Fresh - u gonna post that tune when its done? Sounds interesting......

Message 24/115                 Date: 18-Nov-99  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Yeah, It's all done but I'm gonna let it sit for a while then go back in a couple of weeks and remix it. That usually keeps me from getting ear fatique on the mixdown.

BTW, I'd really like to get into DJ'ing as a second hobby but I wouldn't know where to start. Have you done any of it R-Tek? Anyone have input about how to start off DJ'ing? I got all the gear I need to do it I guess just not the faintest clue how to start.

Message 25/115                 Date: 18-Nov-99  @  06:26 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

I aint ever played out (jungle jock saturation in the UK) but my mixing`s fine and I can post a message on the very basics if u want Fresh. And if u need more help, just post another message and I`ll fill u in on intermediate technique....I`m always floating about on this site somewhere..........

Message 26/115                 Date: 18-Nov-99  @  07:37 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

wai

On some records with synth/ vocal intros or whatever but without drums, the time signiture or whatever you call it is the same as the main track itself. You just have to practice at home and see which ones that are b4 playing live.
When i mix, i love to mix from the intro so when the drums stop on the other record, the new record's drums kick in, or something else happens on the new record i.e. new verse. That's when you know when you got a good mix. In Da Fucking mix!!
It's mainly about timing personally speaking.
R-Tek, you'll be able to hear what i mean cus i sent you that cd today (thurs) at last....

Message 27/115                 Date: 19-Nov-99  @  04:25 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

wheresbob

Yep....I practice by remixing everyday songs....did a remix of Block Rockin Beats by the Chem Bros that came out pretty wild. I start it off with a loop I yanked out of a Zep album...also mixed in ZZ Top, Sugar Ray, a Hendrix guitar solo and anything else I could grab.

If yer curious you can grab it from a link at:

www.mp3.com/digitaloverdrive

I'm just starting to lay DnB tracks....that remix has cool drums...but not really DnB.

Overdrive

Message 28/115                 Date: 19-Nov-99  @  11:34 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

a

I don't like Fuity Loops filters.
I don't like compressed sound.
I don't like fruity fx.
But it's good apps

Message 29/115                 Date: 19-Nov-99  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Wai - You`ve misunderstood what I said. Synth intros r fine cos they r always phrased 2 the rest of the song, I was talking about synth intros that fade in from the start so that its impossible 2 actually cue from, cos even when u turn yer cans right up u cant tell where the actual beginning of the track is. Check "The Pulse" or "Killa Beez" 2 see what I mean. All they had 2 do was put a little hat at the very beginning of the tune but they didn`t so u have 2 cue from further on.

Message 30/115                 Date: 19-Nov-99  @  07:04 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

I'll definitely take you up on that technique, R-Tek. I don't have good enough turntables but I have enough digital type stuff that think I can do live mixing in an alternative way. What's expected of me in order to wow people? How should it sound I mean. If you think that I really need turntables then I can look into it but perhaps I can give it a shot without them at first. I'm all for being different.

For all of you who know what it means to be broke, I am talking shoebox. I need music but don't want to go out an buy 500 dollars worth of records. To start off, I'd like to use stuff that I have and maybe get a few disks that you guys could recommend. Dark agressive jungle is really where my mind is these days. Even a track or two that you know of will get me out there buying the stuff. (I'm in the Boston USA area if geography vs. style is important). My real goal in all of this would be to create an outlet where I can play my own music in clubs. I would do it gradually, trying to get a feel for the mixing part at first. I've been pondering this for about a year and know that it's time that I get out there...somehow.

Message 31/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  01:33 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

dsb

one thing that you hear in alot of tech style jungle records is leaving out a bar of kicks and snares after the drops on the 32 or 64s. ie after the bass breakdown the beats kick in one bar after expected, its become a bit of a standard what with everone following the lead of johny l and optical. the first toon i noticed this on was johny l's "piper"

Message 32/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  03:39 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

georgeofdajungle

"Mission control to Delta SL33P, do you read me?...I repeat Mission Control to Delta..."

(long pause)

"Mission Control to Delta do you copy, over."

(longer pause)

Delta: "Ah duh...Dis is dum de dum Delta, what's up?"

Mission Cntrl: "YOU ARE! You're way too high on yourself and you must come down at once!!!!"

Message 33/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  09:07 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

there a Satellite in boston still?

Message 34/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Fresh - u didn`t really let on too much about what equipment u have. If they`ve got something in the way of pitch control, then u can learn 2 beatmix; if they aint, then all u can do is drop-mixing using the pause buttons.

As far as tunes go, the darker, ruffer stuff is everywhere right now, check ANYTHING on the Renegade Hardware label, anything by Dom and Roland (especially his remix of Daniel Savines "This Time"), DSCI4 records, anything by Trace (DSCi4 is his label - he lives in Philly now), Ram Records and their sister label Lifting Spirits, No-U-Turn records, Dread Recordings, Metalheads, Protoype - theres so many. Specific tunes 2 look 4 - "Sonar" by Trace, The Armageddon LP sampler, Rymetymes "Payback", The Underfire LP - "Blazin", U should still ba ble 2 find Grooveriders LP - "Mysteries of Funk", Any of the Konflikt tunes on Hardware, Ed Rushes WICKED remix of A-Sides` "Calibre" on Eastside and J Majiks Nightvision LP - not dark, more deep; likewise the nu Ram Album "Molten Beats" (their last LP "Sound in Motion" was a lot darker, the nu ones more in the way of a twisted funk kinda thing), Cybins "Roller" is a hell 4 leather Amen rollout as well (on Emcee Recordings).

Check the Drum and Bass Arenas "Listen" section 4 forthcoming releases and some old classics (Link Above). U can mix with CDs, but really, a lot of stuff only comes out on Vinyl. I dont wanna talk u into spending all that money 4 dex, but if u wanna mix, theres not a great deal else u can do. The only record shop I know of that remotely in your area (and I mean remotely) is Breakbeat Science in NY - they do a mailorder service, but obviously u dont get 2 listen 2 the tunes b4hand.

If yer digital sources do have pitch control - leave a message and I`ll post a little beginners run-through.

Message 35/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  09:57 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Doh! Try this one.............

Message 36/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  11:40 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

see Satellite in boston...if they are still there. the one in NY is very good...but yes, breakbeat science is a very good domestic shop. however all people who works at record shops in NY hate people who don't know everything..so in other words they get attitude if you ask them questions...fuckers. best to go look through the bins yourself...whenever i buy records i get them direct from england... www.juno.co.uk

but um...records are very expensive because it's hard to stop buying them all all of them

Message 37/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  12:14 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Aye, I can` t help meself either. I got hundreds of the fuckers I never play. I even bought "Miles From Home" even though I didn`t really like it - just thought I should, U know. I listened 2 that maybe 1.5 times! I`ve bought some shelving 2 rack all mine up today so I might actually b able 2 records I`m looking 4..............I think I might need more shelves though..............its definately an addiction.........

Message 38/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

I've got 2 hard disk recorders Fostex D-90, DMT8VL, and 128 Megs in my EMU sampler. I have multiple ways to fire samples too. So far I've been pitch shifting and time stretching with the sampler. The Hard disk has pitch control but I havn't had use for it yet. Once it gets on the hard disk it's already stretched and locked to MIDI. Today I've been chopping up tunes by measure and building massive presets of songs that are shifted and stretched into compatible tempos. I've really been having a great time with this. I'm going to print out your music list and keep it with me when I get the new stuff. A beginners run through would do me some good now. Thx.

Message 39/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  08:03 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

OK. I`m not sure how feasible this is, you`ll need some way of gently nudging the pitch so if u cue up slightly out of phase, u can get everything running in time. I`m also assuming your H/D recorders play instantly when u press the "Play" button and that the tunes u have loaded up in them r all at the same tempo otherwise this aint gonna work. I`m guessing u dont have a Dj-style mixer either but u may b able 2 do the same thing on yer desk albeit without the flexibility of an x-fader (not a massive problem; 4 smooth, seamless mixes u should always use the vertical fader anyway).................

Right, get yer 1st tune playing through one of the channels in yer desk (it helps if u have stereo channels, 2 monos will mean u have 2 make all changes 2 both simultaneously) fully EQd with the gain set so u aint jumping into the red with a fader level of 0 (never turn the verts up fully so u always have somewhere 2 go with the volume).

Now prepare the 2nd channel with which you`re gonna bring yer next tune onto - make sure u have the vertical fader(s) turned down fully. This is where I`m not sure its gonna work, see, because u need 2 hear the tune you`re gonna bring in 2 cue it and 2 set the levels without it being played over the monitors - u need 2 listen 2 the tune you`re about 2 bring in in your cans and crossreference with the tune playing 2 set the gain so they r roughly even (dont matter if you`re a little way out, u can always adjust that on the fly) I`ll assume u can work round this so I`ll carry on regardless. Turn each EQ setting down (not too much but further down from where u intend 2 play the tune.

Now u need 2 really know the tunes u r playing 4 this bit `cos u cant look at the groove density of the vinyl 2 c how the tune is structured. As u already know, all jungle is structured in to strict 16/32/64 bar phrases and, as I mentioned b4, at the end of these phrases u`ll usually find some kind of extra movement at the last bar. These r indexes 4 u 2 cue the next record into the mix. U need everyhting setup in a way so that u only hear the tune you`re bringing in in yer cans and not the tune playing - another reason why I`m unsure of this method. Assuming u can do that, wait till one of the phrases ends and, at the very 1st beat of the next bar, simultaneoulsy press play on yer H/D and move the vert up 2 about "10" maybe - this all depends on yer mixer, you`ve probably got a good enough feel 4 it anyway, so basically a setting that gonna b audible in the mix but not overriding whats already playing. Now, listen 2 the tune you`re bringing in; in your cans while referencing this with what coming out of the monitor. If its out of time, adjust the pitch; dont panic, you`ll ALWAYS hear if the tunes out of time in yer cans b4 it becomes noticable. Once you`ve got it in time, you`re laughing, cos unlike Vinyl/CD you wont have 2 adjust the pitch again. U may wanna bring the tune in on the outro of tune 1 2 start with so u dont get any breaks catching u unawares ans mossing yer mix.

Now assuming both tunes r in time, every 8 bars or so, bring tune 2 in a little more - up the tops a little (not too much though - bringing too much treble in will kill yer mix stone-dead); Bring the volume up, mids, bass - u get the picture. Bear in mind 2 always watch the VU meter 2 make sure it dont clip. Untill u have both tunes at equal levels in the mix.

Then, as far as mixing tune 1 out goes, u can do it quickly - just drop the faders at an appropriate time (in phrase with the mix, remember) or u can bring it out slowly - a reversal of mixing it in.

Now, I`d really advise u 2 at least get a cheap DJ mixer `cos I`m not sure the above method will work and u can make the process a whole lot easier by just concentrating on x-fade beat mixing 2 start with, 2 make it a whole lot easier 2 learn. 1 more point if you`re planning on buying vinyl and copying it onto yer h/d - b very carefull, even Technics dex dont have immaculate pitch control, they`re renowned 4 having wobbly pitch around the +/-1 mark and I`ve even taken samples off vinyl at 0% when the quartz control is supposed 2 lico the pitch, but when I get it into the sampler, the pitch is allover the show. Als, if a record has been pressed slightly off centre (a lot of jungle is) or is warped; it will need constant attention in the mix in order 4 it 2 b kept in time.

I`m not sure if I`ve explained all that properly `cos I`ve had 2 guess how it`d b done with H/D recorders and the technique is totally different from vinyl. I would REALLY advise u 2 get a mixer though - I`m pretty sure the above method wont work but u could apply the same principles albeit with more ease with a dj mixer. Any old cheap piece of shit will do - if you`re really on a tight budget, check the ones labelled "scratch mixer" though these often dont have seperate eq or gain on each channel.

If I`ve missed anything or got something wrong please dont anybody write some follow on message slating me - its 1am, I`m slightly drunk, very tired and I`ve just written the above as I went along without much thought...............and now my head hurts...............

Message 40/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  08:10 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

.....2 more things I forgot 2 mention - pay attention to the volume levels of yer monitors and cans, if these r set properly (so u can hear both clearly) it makes learning a whole lot easier (I know how simple that sounds, but its not always something thats immediatley picked up on). And MOST importantly of all, whenever u fuck it up (which u will, even pro Djs do, more regularly than they care 2 admit) remind yourself that is the reason why u r practicing - again I know that sounds stupid, but I found that a massive help....................

Message 41/115                 Date: 20-Nov-99  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Great mixing seminar R-Tek (Sorry about your head pain). I think the only problem I'll have, as you already indicated, is not having a cross fader. Looking into this. Damn credit card is going to be the end of me. I have enough mixing gear that I can pre monitor stuff though. Despite approaching this in a 'different' way, it seems that my end result will be similar. In principle it sounds easy but I know that it will require some practice. First I'm going to compile the music and figure out the technical hurdles so I can just sit back and get the hang of it. I checked out the D'n'B Arena - Listen link. Way cool. The albums "Blazin LP","Hostage", and "Both Worlds" sound awesome. I'll be going there all the time now...Hey, what the...I'm mixing other peoples stuff into my own music now! Last week I was just telling you how I...Never mind. One more question for now: How long would an amatuer DJ take the floor for? Yeah, maybe this is a question that can't really be answered acurately but I have a disk space limitation. I think 50 minutes or less wouldn't kill me. Please don't say two hours. If I have to buy bigger drives then it would be cheaper just to get the tables.

Message 42/115                 Date: 21-Nov-99  @  01:39 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

wai

God, nice one R-Tek. I'd do one for you aswell Fresh, but i have trouble in expressing myself, i know what to do , but explaining to someone!!!to me it's like sitting an exam. Anyway you don't wanna bother with anything but Technics. because it's nearly impossible to get a good mix on them fuckers, and they blow up while the Technics keep on going. When your cueing a record, the Technic's reach the pitch almost instant, whereas the cheaper ones take about 5 hours to get there, you can use your fingers to speed it up but then them fuckers go way too fast. Then you slow it down, but them fuckers are too sensitive. Not like the Technics. Dunno about the new digital deks tho, their more expensive than the Teks aren't they?

Message 43/115                 Date: 21-Nov-99  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

georgeofdajungle

I am George of the Jungle!! Who wants to talk Jungle?

Message 44/115                 Date: 21-Nov-99  @  07:31 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

i like math

music is good, especially d+b type

kill whitey

Message 45/115                 Date: 21-Nov-99  @  08:19 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

`nics r far from the best dex around now. The Vestax dex have a faster startup time, more stable tonearm and a reliable pitchshifter with a quartzlock that operates throughout the pitchrange, likewise the new Numark dex. That said, I`d always advise 2 get `nics cos they last 4ever and never let u down. I started out on Soundlab dex and all I can say is DONT DO IT! Well, maybe if you`re desperate but they really r shit.

Message 46/115                 Date: 21-Nov-99  @  11:16 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

.....but....the best dj mixer (two channel) is the rane ttm 54

Message 47/115                 Date: 21-Nov-99  @  11:59 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

...yeah, but those Rane mixers cost a fortune..............I was reading about their new "NY Style" mixer the other day and its got no gain, no x-fader and no EQ!!! Its probably a great piece of kit an` that but I`d rather sacrifice a bit if sound quality in favour of somrthing more versatile..........

Message 48/115                 Date: 21-Nov-99  @  11:44 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

wai

Hey George, can you stop refering D+B as Jungle, Jungle's been dead a long time, remember DRUM AND BASS!!!! I should know cus i'm Tarzan- the King of the Jungle and died, reincarnated into something to do with super sharp beats and ruff nek b-lines

Message 49/115                 Date: 22-Nov-99  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

....don`t matter what u call it Wai, its only technically different.......don`t forget the phrase "Drum and Bass", even though it had been around 4 a long time, only became popularised when it became trendy; and the people who`d previously slated "Jungle" could save face by using another term.....

Message 50/115                 Date: 22-Nov-99  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

What became of Drum n Space? Heard some great stuff on the radio last year then it kind of fizzled off.

Message 51/115                 Date: 22-Nov-99  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

georgeofdajungle

I agree Wai, "Jungle" is a lame term these days, but what do I call myself then, "George of the drum n' bass?!?!?!"

Message 52/115                 Date: 22-Nov-99  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

So, nobody here would describe themselves as a junglist, then?...........

Message 53/115                 Date: 22-Nov-99  @  07:19 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

wai

You could call yourself George Drummond Bass,and i'll get it patented for ya

Message 54/115                 Date: 22-Nov-99  @  08:23 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

I don't think it makes a hell of a difference what you call it. Say Jungle, say Drum 'n' Bass. When I call it Jungle, my friends all think I play gourds or something. I say Drum 'n' Bass and they ask me if I can somehow play both at once. I'd rather drop the two lame ass names and call it somethin like BadmuthaFuk 'n' breaks.

Message 55/115                 Date: 22-Nov-99  @  11:03 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

i try not to call anything anything. by avoidance of terms to describe sounds i create happy feelings for myself & others ask me what type of music it is i'm doing...i smile, i look at them & smile. oh dear, i seem to have misplaced my

Message 56/115                 Date: 23-Nov-99  @  04:33 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

sox

I call our music "Jazz" because a lot of it is improvised around the sequences. Once upon a time jazz was "the" dance music. As a matter of fact, the first time I heard jungle I drew a comparison to Be-Bop with computers.
Check an album called 'Drum 'n Bass n' Guitar' by a guy named Derek Bailey (very well known spontaneous jazz guitarist) to see what I mean.

Message 57/115                 Date: 23-Nov-99  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Olla

Speed on this

Message 58/115                 Date: 23-Nov-99  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Olla, what's a splinter?

Oh and here's a question that I'd really like some specific answers for. I've asked this before but wasn't able to give an example. Please click on this link and tell me if you have any ideas how I can make my drum loops roll like this one. I'm always striving for it but seldom hit the nail on the head like this loop does. I guess dynamics is important but HOW with dynamics? Perhaps you have trouble too?

Message 59/115                 Date: 23-Nov-99  @  01:00 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Fresh - thats an Amen loop, with a "Think" loop interlinked at certain points - that not what u mean?

Message 60/115                 Date: 23-Nov-99  @  06:53 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Hey you know the inner workings of the loop! Now...can you talk in laymans terms? What's 'Amen' and 'Think'? I gotta ask where you get these terms. Is there a Drum'n'Bass glossary I don't know about? Now I'm really curious and I'm gonna sit here all night waiting for a reply cuz this simple loop has me hooked...

Message 61/115                 Date: 23-Nov-99  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

wai

The "Amen" loop is called so simply because it was sampled from a record called Amen's Brother, i think. Which i think is the original artist. It's a mutha of a break, that's why it's been used by so many artists. Maybe a little overused, but top artists still use that loop

Message 62/115                 Date: 23-Nov-99  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Thanks wai. Could you give me a few other classic sources of loops and perhaps what "think" is from? These are things that I really need to know I think cuz I'm always making everything from scratch and would like to hear what It's all inspired from. Again I wait and it's killing me...

Message 63/115                 Date: 23-Nov-99  @  08:20 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

chamuco_rojo

I have just began to get into music. I currently own the RM1X from Yamaha, The Sid Station, The Kaoss pad,
The Akai mpc2000 and The Roland juno 106. I have currently just started to write songs, aand sometimes I feel like thier missing something. I don't know I justed wante to know I guess what more would I be able to use ?
Thanx

Message 64/115                 Date: 24-Nov-99  @  12:13 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Well I found some of them classics here. Still can't find "Think(about it)". Anyone got a link for that one and/or know of other ones of interest?... And uh, Chumuco, tell us what kind of music your trying to make and what the trouble is and we can all take a crack at it. I've been through hell tryin to learn all this stuff so I'm with ya man.

Message 65/115                 Date: 24-Nov-99  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

JFX

Hey Chumuco,

i'm starting myself and the most usefull thing i've done to date is roaming Dance Tech's threads, you will find a lot to think about here.

As for your kit, well, I guess you already have all you need.

But isn't the rmx1 and mpc2000 combo a bit redundant? For a start I mean... but how could I know, don't own any of them %)

Message 66/115                 Date: 24-Nov-99  @  02:28 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Olla

Yup,
And Don't forget Funky drummer, James B....."give a little sn'thn for the drumma"
Used by everybody from Sinead O Connor to Goldie and quite some Ninja Tune Maestroes....FUnky drummer and Amen maybe the most used\lifted\cut-up beats ever..

Olla

Message 67/115                 Date: 24-Nov-99  @  10:44 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

k

well they are both in the FILEZ section here - follow the links to THE SAMPLES - for rool to beats it is the velocity and shuffle titming on some parts, but also the introduction of timed delays gives loads of rool, and is in fact the origin of alot of shuffle-beat styles, straight beats played thru a delay gives you everything from garage to jungle and swing beat shuffles... remember jungle does have a 3+4 time crossover feel

Message 68/115                 Date: 24-Nov-99  @  11:50 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Aye, and you`ve gotta have the Apache loop as well by the incredible bongo band. Amen Brother is by the Winstons - A right funky little number.............I hate 2 bring this up Fresh, but if u use them, you`re using someone elses beats - that not make u feel a fraud?......hehehehe, only joking. As Ray Keith quite rightly said, the Amen loop is part of our history - we can`t turn out back on it.............check Traces "Sonar" or Dies "Watching Windows VIP mix" 4 a fresh relick of that much caned loop...............BTW the "Armegeddon" LP is FINALLY out on the 29th, this side of the pond - every junglist must have this album. And the Ray Keith LP should b out soon as well, so you`ve all gotta check that one cos if the UFO album was anything 2 go by, its gonna b a stormer.....

Message 69/115                 Date: 24-Nov-99  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Thanks. This is exactly what I needed. Oh I don't want to use them, I just want to study them because I think I'm missing some of the root theory. I guess what I will do is sample and slow them down to find the shuffle zones (unless you guys know of a better way). In retrospect, I think that I've not paid enough attention to shuffle because I can't get the rool too easily. I either hit it or missed it and didn't know why. Didn't even know we had all these sample loops here. Have to have a look around this place. Thanks again.

P.S. If you have any further insight to shuffling jungle, please speak up. 

Message 70/115                 Date: 24-Nov-99  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

wai

Hey Fresh, you can check out the 100's of sample cd's that are available, for loops Jungle Warefare 1,2,3 have loads of loops, cut'n'diced or straight. If you want to hear them b4 you buy them just send me an e mail

Message 71/115                 Date: 24-Nov-99  @  11:29 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Yeah, I heard 1 and 2 at Sam Ash in NYC and was very impressed (suprisingly, because I had already purchased DRUM N BASS CONSTRUCTION SETS which ended up being a disappointment) Wish I had the money. I've been making the most of BREAKBEAT. Definitely the best sample cd for loops that I've owned. Gotta Junglize em yourself though cuz they're slow meaty breaks. Still having a hard time finding #1: good hard cymbals and rides (solo'd). #2: those 'wodden' snares. I was considering buying some cymbals and a snare in order to sample my own hits but I have no idea what to look for.

Message 72/115                 Date: 24-Nov-99  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Oh, in reference to kilos note on adding delay to loops, I was wondering if you guys had any tips on it. Maybe recommendations on: what parts to add it to and what time x/x works best. I'm guessing just the snare and a 3/4?

Message 73/115                 Date: 25-Nov-99  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

pongoid

d+b has gone ho-hum. sorry guys. not feelin it. try doin it autechre stylie, with sounds that just don't make sense in the real world, or get a real drummer. I've heard LIVE d+b, w/live drumer and bassist, and it's sick. Live synth as well. Bad stuff. If you're going to use the medium, make it go somewhere that it hasn't gone before. If you're going to use natural drum sounds, make them do unnatural things. Why not? I appreciate some of the crazy pads and bass sounds that people are using, but for the most part all of the rythms I've heard classified as d+b (wvery rareexception) bored me to utter tears. You little jungleheds get all hype about the easiest mixes and cross fade techniques. What happened to all of the crazy polyrythmic mixing that created jungle/drum'n'bass? You know? hip hip/trip hop, then some crazy breakmixed in over it to 'REMIX' the tune? Come on guys. I know y'all can do better for both mixing and producing. I wouldn't say it if I didn't have faith in youu.

Ape

Message 74/115                 Date: 25-Nov-99  @  06:03 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

I dunno Pongoid, I like the music as much as I have ever done. Admittedly, it aint as visionary or creative as it was, but name one style of music that hasn`t gone 2 sleep after the initial flurry of ideas. I mean, a lot of house bods still rely almost entirely on their 909 for beats and while thats a great sounding machine, they`ve been using it 4 well over a decade and they need 2 pull their finger out. The way I see it is, the musics in hibernation, preparing itself 2 burst out bigger and better than ever b4. As far as the UK goes, the scenes been stripped down 2 its bare bones - only the true believers r still involved in the scene, which is actually a good groundbase - all the badboys have fuctoff 2 the UK garge scene and all the moneygrabbers have gone back 2 House. Things will change but D+B`s just gotta find its feet again.............

Message 75/115                 Date: 25-Nov-99  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

so...what about those snares then? i was also thinking of getting a snare to record me beating the shit out of it to get nice & hard as fuck hits...what snare? shit, then i have to buy a mic, snare stand (?)...hmm...snare!!! damnit, that's probably the only way to get those hits i lust after so much

Message 76/115                 Date: 25-Nov-99  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

fresh

Sox could probably help us out on this...HERE SOX! What's a price friendly snare that's got a lot of tone capability (and maybe good for D'n'B)? I think I remember seeing an SM-58 hanging over his kit so that would be a good cheap mic. In the sample section of this site there are some recordings of Tama and Rogers snares. It's suprising how much range of sound you can get out of them. I like the Tama5 and Rogers16 samples in particular. Wish they had several hit variations to make them more usable.

Message 77/115                 Date: 26-Nov-99  @  06:38 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

sox

Your best bet (believe it or not) is to use different size cardboard boxes! You will get some kickin' snare samples using a box. You can use large boxes for bass drums as well.
As far as using real snare drums, it's the tuning of them that makes them. The cheaper the drum, the longer it will take to get a decent sound out of it because of things like shell roundness or the bearing edges (where the shell meets the head). Remo make extremely good sounding snare drums that are very reasonably priced. I find Tama/Pearl drums are usually overpriced (check secondhand though, there's some good deals to be had in the LOOT mag). Look for the smaller shell/head size for that perfect Jungle snare ie. 13" x 3" or "Piccolo" snares as they are normally called. Then tighten the f**k out of the heads to get that 'bite' out of them.
Nobody and Fresh: you're both right about the different hits from the drum. If you're using a sampler set it up to trigger the different snare hits by velocity if you're searching for realism in your programming.

Have you checked out the MIDI file I posted in the New Jungle groove thread? Pay special attention to the velocity information and try and replicate that kind of info in your programming. Might take a while though, us drummers can play in 5 minutes what it take you progammers hours to do 

Message 78/115                 Date: 02-Dec-99  @  02:11 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

atari315

In regards to technics1200 turntables, their 25 year old patent is running up in y2k which means keep your eyes open for sick ass decks by other manufacturers.

Message 79/115                 Date: 02-Dec-99  @  06:22 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

They`ve just bought out a nu, revised verion of em. I dont think the patent matters anyway, the likes of Soundlab and Kam have been copying `nics for years.

Message 80/115                 Date: 03-Dec-99  @  01:42 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

cutoff_freq

when all's said and done, there's still alot to be said for tracker progs. they're free, easy to use once you get into them, and lots of fun. i recommend Modplug Tracker which you can find at www.maz-sound.com. once you get that going, you're going to neeed soem samples, which is what my page is for. check it out at members.xoom.com/fortyfourone. even better is Dreamstation, a tracker like prog with it's own synth that leaves rebirth in the dust, but you'll have to shell out for that one.

enjoy this basic beat that i cant possibly truly epress without velocity values

Message 81/115                 Date: 03-Dec-99  @  06:25 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

k

for that authentic 70's/80's dub snare sound, get a cheap deep metal snare, remove the top head, get an orange house-hold duster, drape it over the open top of the snare shell, drop the head on top and pull the duster tight under the head by working around the drum shell edge pulling it taut - add the hoop & start to srew down, re-tighten the duster to be sure it is smooth under and against the drum head... tighten up and tune - that's the one -

Message 82/115                 Date: 05-Dec-99  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Pongoid

Fastracker rocks. Electro hasn't gone to sleep. Most styles in hibernation, but then it depends on where you go and who you listen to. Actually I heard some decent new house last night, but yup same old 909 sounds. I've even got one in the studio right now, but refuse to use it, just out of principle. May do something with it later, but not into it right now. What I'd really like is a mod'ed out 808 (amongst the few pther tools)....

Ape

Message 83/115                 Date: 05-Dec-99  @  11:43 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

sage

Pongoid, if dont wnat the 909, i will be more than happy to take it off your hands!!
DJ Sage

Message 84/115                 Date: 06-Dec-99  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Pongoid

Sage from SF? If not, there's a very pretty junglist going by Sage in SF already ripping it up. Can't go grabbing somebody else's nom de geurre now can we. It's just not on. If so, then how's Ed? You all livin in the same joint?
Ape

Message 85/115                 Date: 06-Dec-99  @  10:33 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

sage

nahh, i am not that junglist, i from h town. my nick comes from the irc on the undernet. i started makeing some rap beats with some friends and i decided to go with the DJ part. Do you have any of this others sage's mixess i can hear?

Message 86/115                 Date: 07-Dec-99  @  06:57 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Disko House

Really, nice atmosphere in here ;O)

Message 87/115                 Date: 08-Dec-99  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Pongoid

I don't but Red Tape, or Compound Records may have a tape of her set. Don't know the #, but you could call information. Area code 415. Good luck.

Ape

Message 88/115                 Date: 13-Dec-99  @  11:22 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Mothership

i guys, i´m from munich, germany. i´m really surprised, that there are so many people in the US interested in D`n B and other electronic music. Here in (West-)Europe it is rumoured, that most of the americans prefer rock-music. Here in Germany people are really crazy about all kinds of electronic music, and there is also lot of crap on the market. Why I´m writing this? Because I´d like to know more about the D`n B scene in the States...Which towns are the pioneers? Where are the best clubs? Is there a chance in Florida to find a good d n`B party / club ( I`m going to make a trip to Florida in a few months...). Greetz, Rob

Message 89/115                 Date: 13-Dec-99  @  02:59 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

sage

look there, and also the lotus magazine is nice http://www.lotusmag.com/

Message 90/115                 Date: 13-Dec-99  @  06:09 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

nobody

d&b is in new york, chicago...help me out here. i read it's getting more & more acceptance out west, which is new..but i still think new york & chicago

Message 91/115                 Date: 14-Dec-99  @  01:07 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

I`m not from US, but I heard Philly and SF were feeling it as well. Course, I`m just a Limey though; so I`m not really qualified 2 say.

Message 92/115                 Date: 14-Dec-99  @  02:02 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

sox

I was talking to a friend last week and apparently Toronto has gone D'nB mad.
(I know it's not the States, but it goes to show you how internationl it's become)

Message 93/115                 Date: 14-Dec-99  @  03:56 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

anyway, I thought hip hop was bigger stateside than rock nowadays, no?

Message 94/115                 Date: 14-Dec-99  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

sage

yes, hip hop or rap sells more than country and rock. houston has huge house seen that is very kick ass!

Message 95/115                 Date: 14-Dec-99  @  06:16 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Synthplaya

Unofortunatly Most Americans prefer crap like Britney Spears (whos initials are ironically BS...hehe)
RnB is big as well as pop here..most techno/dance is more underground here i think...

Message 96/115                 Date: 15-Dec-99  @  11:15 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

opm

is there an easier way to cut loops up than editing 8/16 loops which are identical. i have a casio fz1 which is having some kind of crisis with disks anyone know how i can fix it?

Message 97/115                 Date: 15-Dec-99  @  11:48 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Ummm.....not as far as I know dude; I dont think recycle or wavesurgeon will support it. If you`re running a PC/Mac with some kind of audio editor on it and your sampler will let u dump samples via midi, then u could do it on computer (very slowly) which wouldn`t b so messy.

Message 98/115                 Date: 01-Jan-00  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Delta Sleep

Ha! i'm back from my brief break. ohhh yes and i got a new dell dimension XPS, muahaha. this thing is a beast. I still maintain that fruityloops is an invaluable tool for music. I don't know about jungle anymore, it just doesn't seem like any new ground is being broken anymore, the beats all seem to be gravitating towards the same "boom chick boom chick" kinda thing. bummer. I've been in computer music for one fourth of my life now, and its been growing everyday it seems. but lately, i just don't know. if anyone would like an mp3 of mine or anything let me know. deltasleep@planetarymotion.net

Message 99/115                 Date: 02-Jan-00  @  08:21 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

Why dont u sort out a page on mp3.com, then we can all have a listen without the big download.

Message 100/115                 Date: 03-Jan-00  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

damballah

FYI, from the RIAA website:

> Although Rock remains the dominant music genre, it has steadily lost ground over the last 10 years, from 42.6% to 32.5%, about one-third its market share. Both Classical and Jazz also experienced declines over the years, dropping from 1988 levels of 3.5% for Classical and 4.7% for Jazz to 1997 levels of 2.8% for both genres.

> By contrast, several genres have demonstrated significant increases over the last decade. Country, which held a 7.4% market share in 1988, has nearly doubled its consumer hold, while Rap has more than doubled its 1988 share of 4.2%. Rap has made especially solid gains over the last three years, bouncing back from an eight-year market share low of 6.7% in 1995 to its all-time high of 10.1% in 1997. Gospel has also experienced strong growth, swelling from 2.5% in 1988 to 4.5% in 1997. Although soundtrack recordings comprise a relatively small portion of the overall music market, shipments have steadily increased from their 1988 level of 0.5% to 1.2% in 1997.

> Despite a slight decrease in market share in 1997, R&B has remained mostly healthy, increasing from 1988’s 9.1% to 11.2% in 1997.

Message 101/115                 Date: 10-Jan-00  @  08:48 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

eddie

Wow... I learned so much more stuff than asking the stupid fucked up attitude dj asses in seattle...
DOnt ever come to seattle , it is rhe place for yuppie bussinesman in their gas gusling SUV s and trendy bitches... everyone is trying to hard to be so cool they have lost their personality, same with recordshop people and dj's too.OK. Here come my question..
I am about to get a Numark TT-1910 directdrive turntable.. tell me what u guys think about that turntable for a beginner.. i got no fucking clue about dj ing, i watch couple guys, all they do is at the end of the each song kill the bass kil the treble fade in to next song...shortly... THEY SUCK and they got the "dj" attitude..
the other stuff i have is korg electribe synth, Kawaii midi key2, roland jx 3-p and about the get a electribe drum machine but no so sure, i could get a midi controller like phat-boy to control fruity loops or rebirth..
what i wanna do is to have a live playing setup, maybe running fruity loops from the pc, mixing vocals maybe beats from turntable. i guess i need a mixer too.
i got no clue about the mixers, my pc has 2 inputs it was enough so far, but ican pan or fade anything live... so it sucks!
What should i do? get another turntable (i really dont want to) , should i get a 3-4 channel dj mixer so ican
x fade between computers... fuck.. i got no clue...
kind of music i do right now is bigbeat/break/d n b
i also wanna have live gigs with another guiter/bass player...
So.... Help is greatly appreciated... thanx...
and check out my first d n b thingy tell me what you think coss i am pretty new to this stuff....

Message 102/115                 Date: 17-Jan-00  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

jtech

just a simple groove that i build alot of ideas around.

Message 103/115                 Date: 19-Jan-00  @  01:22 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

yrone

supprised to see diGitaLia's influences include Scorn
I friggin love scorn
that and of course autechre
we should collaborate hehe

Message 104/115                 Date: 21-Jan-00  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Jtech

so I was listening to this thing by Shogun yesterday. They were throwing out this amazing jungle groove and basically my question is how do they get the snares to roll in the middle of a measure? It sounds like the BPM is normally 160 or so but the rolls on the snare seem like it bumped up to 400 BPM or so. I don't know whats up with that but I would like to utilize that effect in my tunes.Any ideas anyone?
thanks,
JT

Message 105/115                 Date: 25-Jan-00  @  09:21 AM   -   Jungle Music

Eternal_Adv

File?:  File

jung19.wrk

Hello, this is Eternal Advancement here. I've only been making music since 9th grade, so almost 4 years now. One of the hardest things for me to compose is Jungle and Drum n'bass. Through a lot of practice, I was finally able to get the base drum and snare right, but after that everything seems to go downhill. I've attempted to make some drum n'bass with my soundblaster awe64 gold with cakewalk express gold. I wasn't sure which type of breakbeats to use so I just made my own 1 bar beats at 80 b.p.m. under cakewalk with some hip-hop soundfont drum kits, recorded them using the wave editor that came with the soundblaster awe64 gold, loaded the wave file back into cakewalk, set the temp back to 80 and chopped the wave file up into 8 eigth note segments, saved the wave files, and finally loaded them back into vienna soundfont studio and layered them out over all the white keys. Sorry for all the info, just wanted to give a full run-down of everything I did, becuase I might be doing something wrong. Well if anyone has any info that can help me please let me know. As soon as I figure out how to post files, I'll try to include my midi file with the proper soundfont bank. Leave me your e-mail address and I'll get it to you as soon as I can. Thanks again everybody! :-

Eternal Advancement

Message 106/115                 Date: 14-Feb-00  @  03:05 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Vishnu

found the site a couple of daze ago this is nize
ive been dig'n on 1.8.7. & all of the liquid sky music
labels for about a yr. now. its so nize to see a collective forming in soul slingers company
its also nize to see where dnb has gone
we are redefining the way people feel music
through the art of the junglist
my eyes are wide open ta tha bionik beatz of bliss
never have i heard anything as free
as dnb
[to a 16 yr old kid] creativity is a must# -thatz all-
here in stl and surrounded by people not w/ tha vibe
ive become anti social
maybe its the artist in me
maybe its the LAMERZ
anyways i have exp. w/ fruity loops
i currently use it also.
& i like it. but thatz what its for {loops}
_tha best come from working with limitations_
raga raga raga
i have a bottle of my piss on a cornershelf in my studio tha rastafarians recommend this as a method of bringin good energy to your tracks. -dont knock it till you try it- Vishnu

Message 107/115                 Date: 14-Feb-00  @  03:10 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

Vishnu

bbbbbbbbbbbreak this mutha fucka

Message 108/115                 Date: 21-Feb-00  @  07:54 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

lyrebird

hey R-tek

a bit dissapointed about your comment about DNB being for the dance floor, to me dnb had/has the same ethic as jazz and punk, no limits, no rulz, the dancefloor limits the style, theats why it's become so repetitive and boring now particularly the beats. one of the things that attracted me to jungle/dnb whatever the fuk people want to call it was the fact that I could listen it off the dancefloor and get my mind blown over from this truly emotional, soleful electronic music, anyway I don't hear much that interests me now adays except on independent radion in australia, at the clubs the djs just play shit thats easy to shake your booty to, too easy

I wander want Frank Zappa would have done to DNB had he still been alive, and another thing 2 much ego = not enough info, I had to wade thru 2 much crap before I found something useful,

the sound I yet 2 here: old skool breaks with nu skool bass oh yeah baby bring it on.

Message 109/115                 Date: 01-Mar-00  @  10:13 AM   -   RE: Creating Beats

daisuke

jump to above url to an huge collection of famous drumloops. there're "amen", "funky drummer" and the like. whatch out for samples quality though... i would rick to use those directly since they are ACM compressed, but i think it's a good reference. peace

Message 110/115                 Date: 01-Mar-00  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

R-Tek

lyrebird - jungle comes from the dancefloor and thats its spiritual home, if u take the dance away then it wont exist. Simple as.

Message 111/115                 Date: 12-Mar-00  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

bram bos (bram

Hey people,

I noticed my name and the word HammerHead flying around from time to time. If you liked HH, then you should try out my new freeware thingy. It's called Tuareg and you can get it here: http://www.brambos.com

There's also a big fat version coming soon, but you can read all about that on my site.

See ya there, mates...

Bram

Message 112/115                 Date: 23-Mar-00  @  10:14 PM   -   Im wondering how good of a setup this is

AcidphLip

i have a TR-707 , 8channel carvin mixer, AkaiS-1000HD(the one with the built in 40 meg hard drive etc..),
Juno-60, and a MSQ-700 8 track sequencer, and a roland jx305(i only use it as a simple keyboard for the akai).. and then i have a few efx..( digital delay, analog delay, compressor, parametric EQ, 2 chorus, distortion pedal.. is this a go0d setup i tink it is but i dunno .. and if anyone is familiar with this equipment . could anyone help me with optimizing the use.. and also i need help on what sounds the best using these machines.. im starting to use it to make jungle and its sounds wayyyy cooler than other things ive done.. so drop me a line and reply :o p thanks.

Message 113/115                 Date: 10-Apr-00  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

bach

Hi I need to start writing electronic music, music with
more polophony rythems etc...
I was wondering what I need to create this music.
I can't write it with notes very well
Thanks
Steve-O

Message 114/115                 Date: 20-Apr-00  @  04:35 PM   -   Good "high-end" drum machine for dance music?

rwilliamson

Can anyone recommend a good "high-end" drum machine suited for dance music, specifically, trance/dnb ( or electronica in general). I'm looking to create songs ala Sasha and Digweed. I bought the Alesis DM Pro ($800) thinking it would solve this need, but it doesn't quite have the right genre of sounds. By using the term "high-end", I suppose I am thinking digital outputs, 18 or 20-bit linear samples, but really what matters is if the sounds are proper for the style of music I wish to create. Anyone have suggestions? I prefer to buy a new unit, not a used module. If you are able to give a list of possibilities, could you also help me by selecting your personal favorite from your list? This will help me narrow my choices, as I am not too familiar with drum machines, and I don't believe I bought the best unit for my needs with the DM Pro. A great big thank you to all for your help!

Message 115/115                 Date: 20-Apr-00  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: Creating Beats

k

well, that all depends if you have a sequencer already which i guess you must have... jomox & drumstation.. drumstation for roland TRX0X beats.. plus alot more with outboard and if you know how to mix and get bizzy with creativity... or for more madness, the Airbass which lets you get more mental.... but also a sampler...

Viewing all 115 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12

There are 115 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum