0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Drumloop sound

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10                 Date: 02-Nov-99  @  08:45 AM   -   How to get that fat sound of professional loops?

uconrad

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi there, I've a question concerning to the sound of a loop. I usually build my loops of several drum sound samples and trigger them by MIDI or compile them to a complete loop. But they sound always different to those loops available on sampler CDs. I've tried and tried to figure out the difference, but without success.. :-((
Could someone please point me in the direction of how to get these fat and full drumsounds?

Cheers
- Ulli -

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/10                 Date: 02-Nov-99  @  12:14 PM   -   RE: Drumloop sound

R-Tek

Link?:  No link

...FX? I dont really know enough about it all meself but u could do a lot worse than 2 add a little reverb - kinda makes it sound less disjointed.

Message 3/10                 Date: 02-Nov-99  @  12:15 PM   -   RE: Drumloop sound

R-Tek

....oh yeah, 1 more thing. Sometimes its worth changing the pitch of the beats (individually, not globally) which helps it gel sometimes

Message 4/10                 Date: 02-Nov-99  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: Drumloop sound

elephant man

R-Tek made a great point about getting your loops to "gel". Try to apply as much as you can globally. Usually I adjust everything together but the bass drum. Compression, EQ, a touch of reverb on snares and cymbals, etc. There's just no way around experimentation because theres no right or wrong way. If there was then all loops would sound the same. Keep in mind also that you can't usually get your stuff to sound like it was mixed in a $300,000 studio if your working in a home project studio.

Message 5/10                 Date: 02-Nov-99  @  01:24 PM   -   RE: Drumloop sound

Dizko Houze ICQ #44659879

You can do a lot of things to get better sound quality
for your drumloops. The most important thing is to
learn and to be patient.You can play around with effects, for example you can overlap your sound with delay. Next thing is EQ and Compressor (use Magneto,
Quadrafuzz, Distortion...). Or you can record your
Loop with a Guitar Amplifier (record it distorted), which can also vary. You can also use Filters and
Valve EQ...

Message 6/10                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  03:21 AM   -   RE: Drumloop sound

uconrad

Okay, let's talk about distortion....
Do you have any settings that you can recommend? I've experimented a lot with ddistortion, esp. for the sanre, but it always sounded ugly. What about Magneto? Don't have this, what kind of plug-in is it?
I'm currently using several compressing settings for kick, sanre and HH and a master compression for the mixed drums. I also add reverb, but it's always a little bit thin though.....

Cheers
- Ulli -

Message 7/10                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  06:32 AM   -   RE: Drumloop sound

Dizko Houze ICQ#44659879

Oh, I forgot Magneto is a simulation of an analogue
tapemachine, if you use this plug-in you add warmth to your sound, so the result is you can hear a
'saturated' sound.
Hmmm yes ... the Compressor settings, difficult to say,
don't how the samples you use were recorded. In most cases the one-shot drumsamples on Sampling CD's are
recorded 'as is' that means without any Effects or Dynamics. The Loops that are recorded on such CD's are
already processed because the CD manufacturer has in mind to give a quick use in production with these loops. And they 'style' their loops because they want
the customers to purchese their CD's, cause first impression is the most important one ... ;o)
- - -
Maybe you recorded them the wrong way, when you used
your sampler? (could also be)

Message 8/10                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  07:29 AM   -   RE: Drumloop sound

Will

I would say adding some compression to the whole loop will get the individual drums to 'sit' together better. The thing about loops is that they are usually real loops played by a drummer. DnB rythms are essentially sped up hip-hop esque beats, so the snare is usually tight and the kick quite 'weak' this works though cause it doesnt conflict with the typical fat bass of a DnB track, and the loops kick can sound busy without sounding messy. Also slight nuancs on the snare for example can really make a loop. If you chop hit from a loop, then try to get a few samples of the snare, and then mix and match them in the loop.
As far as distortion goes, I think its just a matter of taste. I reckon that subtle 'crunch' will hype up the drums just enough to get some hard edged beats going on.
Try to use a separate output on your sampler for the kick though. Its useful to be able to EQ this different to the other drums in your sequence. If you want to go for fat kicks, experiment with compression and the right EQ - you could also use a lopass filter to get rid of the front end click and get that cool 'thump'. Experimentation is the key, and remember that that 1 sound will not work for every tune. Those fat drums might rock one one track, but then sound nuts on annother......
By the way, I remember a thred ages ago that discussed a website dedicated to how to get your loops to sound like those vintage ones. Cant remember what it was called though.

Message 9/10                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  12:46 PM   -   RE: Drumloop sound

kelly danger

And spend more time searching for great sounding drums rather than trying to beef up ones that you dont like. Hits that have less reverb and more plain acoustic detail are really the ones that will shine. You can't always get them off sampling CD's. Get some old vinyl and just search and search and search. It's all out there. Some of my favorite loops I got off of old movies.

Message 10/10                 Date: 03-Nov-99  @  01:11 PM   -   RE: Drumloop sound

roller8

There's much to be said about record noise. It may be the only thing needed to spruce up some weak sounding drums. Sample the silence at the end or beginning of a track and loop it. Mix it with the drums at just the right level and there you go... try it.

Good luck.

Boom shaka, boom shaka, boom.

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum