0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/22                 Date: 29-Oct-99  @  02:23 PM   -   Making Rolling Jungle Bass on Akai S3000XL

raver

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I would like to hear everyone ideas and ways of making that rolling modulated bass that one of the distinctive sounds of jungle. I would like to know how to do it on the Akai S3000XL but any manner of making it will do! Thanks!

Steve

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/22                 Date: 29-Oct-99  @  03:45 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

HHSclare

What's up Raver...I've got a tip for you that I use for
House music. The Akai series samplers have a tone (beep) built in that you can access when you first
turn the machine on. It will actually be described as
TONE. Put this tone into a keygroup and detune the tone. Next go to the envelope pages and increase the
RELEASE time of the envelope. AS YOU DO THIS, MAKE SURE
YOUR SPEAKERS AND AMPLIFIERS ARE SET AT A SAFE LEVEL.
THE SUB-BASS IN THIS TONE ARE POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS TO
YOUR WOOFERS. Keep me posted, let me know how it works
out....

Dirty Harry

Message 3/22                 Date: 29-Oct-99  @  03:58 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

raver

Thanks for the advice. How do you get that tone to modulate? Like the puffy sounding wah-wah that goes up and down in tone,like woooooo,weeeeee,waaaaaa, that probaly sounds pretty stupid,hopefully you know what I mean.

Steve

Message 4/22                 Date: 29-Oct-99  @  04:31 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

R-Tek

Right, I`m only jus` startin out meself and I use an EMU sampler so if some of the details here r a bit scarce or simply dont make sense then I apologise. Find a suitable basstone - preferably one with higher frequencies ie. not jus` subbass, and make a copy of it. Place 1 of the samples across the keyboard and apply either a high or bandpass filter (depends on the basstone), now get busy with the filter envelope jus play around with it untill u get a suitably mangled and fuctup sound. Then place the copy u made earlier in the same keygroup so u`ve got both the mangled b-line and the clean one playin` together, now apply a low pass filter to the 2nd basstone and hey presto - it`ll probably sound shit (usually does when I try) but I think I`m on the right tracks. Also try, instead of usin` yer filter envelope 2 control the filter frequency use on of yer LFOs, sync this 2 the midi clock and you`ve got a more rythymical feel 2 it. Try lowering the sample rate of one of the basstones as well which`ll sometimes yield interesting results. Ok, that kinda works but what I`m really gettin` at is just experiment, fuk about untill it all clicks.

Message 5/22                 Date: 01-Nov-99  @  03:12 AM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

k

assign velocity or a controller to filter & LFO to filter via velocity control... more velocity/controler equals swells in filer combined with lfo to filter to cruve the rush in different ways... whatever try those sorta things etc...

Message 6/22                 Date: 19-Dec-99  @  08:05 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

Lyrebird

USE DISTORTION AS WELL

i'VE STARTED TO WRITE B-LINES USING A SOUND I'VE MADE AND MIDI, THEN WHEN i LIKE IT AND THINK IT WORKS WELL IN THE ARRANGEMENT I RECORD THE LOOP TO COMPUTER AND START EXPERIMENTING WITH PLUG INS EG COMPRESSORS AND DISTORTIONS ETC, I'M RUNNING LOGIG AUDIO SO I'LL PUT THE LOOP INTO THE ARRANGE PAGE SO I CAN HERE IT WITH THE REST OF THE TRAK, I'LL OFTEN IMPROVISE WITH PLUG-ING PARAMETERS AND RECORD THEM AS MIDI THAT WAY I CAN GO BACK AND TWEAK,LATER ON, iF YOU DON'T HAVE PLUG IN'S RECORD DIRECT TO DISK WHILE IMPROVISING WITH FX PEDALS ETC, nO HARD DISK THEN RECORD TO TAPE, RECORD IT LOUD SO NOT TOO MUCH TAPE HISS GETS IN THE WAY WHEN YOU WANT TO SAMPLE IT, THOUGH A BIT OF HISS IS NICE, i FIND ALOT OF THE MORE RECENT DNb B'LINES ARE STARTING TO SOUND TOO CLINICAL AND THIN. ANOTHER TIP FOR B'LINES AND SOUNDS IN GENERAL IS USE WHAT EVER YOU HAVE TO PROCESS THEM, EG. I'LL USE THINGS IN LOGIC EG TIME AND PITCH MACHINE, THEN i MIGHT GO TO PEAK AND DO THINGS THERE EG CONVOLVE THEN THROW IT IN THE SAMPLER AND FUCK WITH IT THERE, THEN i MIGHT REPEAT THE WHOLE PROCESS BACKWARDS, TAKES A LONG TIME BUT i END LEARNING HEAPS AND DEVELOPING MORE SOURCE SOUNDS

Message 7/22                 Date: 14-Feb-00  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

sage

hehe, i know this is going to sound a bit lame, but could some please post a midi file of a jungle bass line. i can make i nice bass sound, but the basslines are wrong, or they just sound "happy". i can not seem to break my happy jungle basslines, would some please help me out, i am looking for a more hardcore bassline.
peace

Message 8/22                 Date: 15-Feb-00  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

damballah

Link?:  Link

Go back to de source, mon. Get yourself a bunch of heavy dub records. Listen to them till the bass works its way tru yer skull. Eat the bass. Sleep the bass. Live the bass. Then the bass will come, nice, deep and slooowwww!

Message 9/22                 Date: 16-Feb-00  @  10:52 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

sage

damballah, what are some good artist names, and do you have any mp3s?

Message 10/22                 Date: 17-Feb-00  @  01:29 AM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

damballah

Jamaican stuff. Check some of the King Tubby stuff and the other compilations on the Blood & Fire label. Got the "Heavyweight Sound" Blood & Fire disc on now with tracks by Burning Spear, Yabby You, I Roy and Horace Andy (the rasta that sings with Massive Attack). Also stuff produced by Prince Far I, Niney the Observer & others. Get that slow, rolling dub bass thing going then get crazy with your breakbeats.

Message 11/22                 Date: 17-Feb-00  @  09:52 AM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

damballah

Another thing that can help with basslines is to try to play it on a bass guitar. Work out the skeleton of the low end with your sequencer and play along with it. Bassists' hands tend to go different places than keyboard players' hands. It'll give you ideas for what grace notes to put in, little riffs & fills. It also lets you know if your idea is "playable" on a bass. That shouldn't disqualify it if what you've got so far is cool, but it helps to know. It helps you think bass.

Message 12/22                 Date: 19-Feb-00  @  02:43 AM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

Vishnu

put a mic to tha noze
do a mmmmmmm
while samplin
try including portamento in tha sample
tone tha pitch
an tie down lose objectz
ready for Attack: 

Message 13/22                 Date: 21-Feb-00  @  06:41 AM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

lyrebird

less happy or dark blines are a combination of tone and notes-

use a middlely sound bass and distort, filter with high pass or low pass, I find high pass gives you that 99 b sound like ed rush/optical.

use semitones and minor keys also just record a single note over a bar and then use pitch bend, i some times just randomly scribble stuff in logics hyperdraw and see what happens

Message 14/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  12:53 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

ezra

my method of making darker bass lines is simply start the melody in a higher note then you end in, also dont get too complicated with bass lines. also becaus of the lower tone try spacing the notes out a bit more so that the changes are more aparent. the note slide is an excellent suggestion (i miss being able to just do a slide to note in impulse tracker, damn samplers take away all the fun). a friend showed me -THE- trick to making that wobbley sounding bass a while back and it has improved my sound by alot...the trick is to do a LPF envelope that zig-zags in synch with the song. hopes this helps some. (side question, anyone know if you can controll the LPF cut/res on a roland S-760 with midi CCs?)

peace.

Message 15/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  03:35 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

raver

What do you mean by zigzags? Could you explain this a little further on how you're doing it? That would be awesome!

steve

Message 16/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

ezra

I mean zig-zag by going up and down rapidly, like start at a cutoff of 0 and have it go up to 127 1/8note or 1/16note later then back down. make any sence? I will do it on my S-760 and post a screen cap of it when i get a chance.

Message 17/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

ezra

I mean zig-zag by going up and down rapidly, like start at a cutoff of 0 and have it go up to 127 1/8note or 1/16note later then back down. make any sence? I will do it on my S-760 and post a screen cap of it when i get a chance.

Message 18/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

oi420io

has anyone ever heard UFO! or Konflict basslines? i wanna know how they get thiers, because thiers is more of like a fat punchy dark bassline that seems like they would be playing it on a keyboard and it kinda rolls along.. it could be thier drums that help it out tho. let me know what you think..

Mayhem..

Message 19/22                 Date: 24-Feb-00  @  11:57 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

Pongoid

UFO out of San Francisco?

Message 20/22                 Date: 28-Feb-00  @  08:55 AM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

b

One think i do is start playing the bass higher octve wen i am done with it i pull it couple octaves to the soun i like, then adding filters /reverb/distortion ( always a little distortion!) ...

Message 21/22                 Date: 06-Mar-00  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

raver

Ok, here's a specific question. I've been listening to Aphrodites tracks quite a bit. I'm puzzled as to how he makes his bass sounds. Anyone have any insight into this? His bass is just so freaking out there. It's spacey but tuff. I've read the post before and have a idea as to how to do some of it. I'm using a AKAI s3000XL amoung other things. What I've been doing is making sounds using softsynths and then putting thos into the sampler, and then mixing that in with other outboard gear. Any comments or suggestions would be awesome. Be totally awesome if someone could write a tutorial on this. I think everyone in the theard would benefit from it. Thanks!

Message 22/22                 Date: 10-Mar-00  @  09:26 AM   -   RE: Making Rolling Jungle Bass

rambousekj

Hi,
try this: sample a piece of a bass or synth.
Now use Cool edit or something for time streching.
After you've done this, make pitch shift with
preserving tempo. Now it should be much better.
What you do with the bass after this, is up to you.
Hobork

Viewing all 22 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 22 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum