0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Sampling Drum Machines

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 24-Oct-99  @  05:28 PM   -   Sampling Drum Machines

paul

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can anyone explain the differences between the EMU
SP1200, AKAI MPC2000 & MPC300. Which one is the best?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 24-Oct-99  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: Sampling Drum Machines

yoy85

Right. The Emu is the oldest, it came our circa 88 and is a drum machine version of the emax. It only offers 12 bit sampling but is considered a classic in hip hop circles 4 its crusty sound and rock-solid timing. As a result its very expensive and aint really much good 4 anything other than beats. The MPC3000 +2000 are essentially the same thing, but the 3000 has a bigger screen, (i think) more outputs and came out earlier. The newest version of the 2000 (xl) has added features which probably give it the edge over the 3000 (which they dont make anymore anyway). So really, if U just wanna push out some crusty beats go SP, if U wanna workhorse sampler go 2000.

Message 3/8                 Date: 25-Oct-99  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: Sampling Drum Machines

k

he's right... that SP sound can be had SOOOOOO cheap with an Emax... people pay looney prices for SP's cos of the mythical status, yes you can get an SP sample disk for the emax too - but really, that 'hip-hop' classic drum sound is via a 12 bit sampler... un-beatable - all dance makers should have at least one 12 bit sampler... they piss on 16 bit ones for THE sound of tuffness.... hard & upfront as hell

Message 4/8                 Date: 26-Oct-99  @  06:25 AM   -   RE: Sampling Drum Machines

davo

If you want sp1200 like samples cant you just use a MPC2000 and drop the sample quality to 12bit?

Message 5/8                 Date: 26-Oct-99  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: Sampling Drum Machines

pongoid

Link?:  Link

Another thing on the SP's was the DAC's. It wasn't just the fact that the samples were 12 bit. E-mu used really nice digital to analog convertors to give the SP-12's and 1200's a really good sound. e-mu dodn't skimp on their high end. The emax was more budget geared. the sp's were using the output systems of the full blown emulators. That's something that a lot of people forget, as well. I'd taske the 3000 over both the SP and the 2000 due to the fact that the MPC3000 sequencing ability is fucking massive. Two seperate midi ins and outs. That thing handles a serious amount of sequencing info. My partner just got his hands on one and we've been kucking about with it a bit, and it's the business. I've messed with both the SP, and the 2000, and neither come close. You can still find MPC's around, but they are expensive, and although I like the sound of the SP better as it isn't as sterile as Akai's samplers tend to be, the sequncing, and the sheer power of the MPC make it my choice of the 3.

Ape

Message 6/8                 Date: 26-Oct-99  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: Sampling Drum Machines

pongoid

Another thing on the SP's was the DAC's. It wasn't just the fact that the samples were 12 bit. E-mu used really nice digital to analog convertors to give the SP-12's and 1200's a really good sound. e-mu dodn't skimp on their high end. The emax was more budget geared. the sp's were using the output systems of the full blown emulators. That's something that a lot of people forget, as well. I'd taske the 3000 over both the SP and the 2000 due to the fact that the MPC3000 sequencing ability is fucking massive. Two seperate midi ins and outs. That thing handles a serious amount of sequencing info. My partner just got his hands on one and we've been kucking about with it a bit, and it's the business. I've messed with both the SP, and the 2000, and neither come close. You can still find MPC's around, but they are expensive, and although I like the sound of the SP better as it isn't as sterile as Akai's samplers tend to be, the sequncing, and the sheer power of the MPC make it my choice of the 3.

Ape

Message 7/8                 Date: 26-Oct-99  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: Sampling Drum Machines

k

BUDGET GEARED !!! - the were £3000 UKP when they came out !!!

Message 8/8                 Date: 26-Oct-99  @  11:31 PM   -   RE: Sampling Drum Machines

Pongoid

How much was the current Emulator of the time? Probably significantly more.

Ape

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum