0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Drums / rhythms / programming

Subject: Any Drummers out there?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5                 Date: 09-Aug-99  @  11:00 PM   -   Any Drummers out there?

AietaD

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I mostly write "techno" tunes using the Roland Vdrums as my main kit. The beauty of these drums is that I record them straight into my PCs HD. No mics and all effects and ambience are add before recording, realtime.

Nothing like getting several drum machines running in sync and laying down some realtime grooves.

Any drummers out there using acoustic or electric kits, and how do you work it all out in this sample happy domain.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/5                 Date: 17-Aug-99  @  07:49 PM   -   RE: Any Drummers out there?

errata

I use midi pads to trigger samplesfrom my a3000. Each trigger is assinged to a note being produced by an old alesis dm4...all my drum samples are spread across the "keyboard and I just play away. My focus is jungle/tech step...and if I play along with breaks or what-not the result is a bit more organic. I usually play right into the sequencer and often change the samples after i played 'em out. I also lay down some hip hop breaks at say 80 to 90 bpm and double time the sequencer (so that it plays back at 180), this brings some serious human groove to the jungle riffs and makes the whole thing sparkle a bit...

Message 3/5                 Date: 25-Aug-99  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: Any Drummers out there?

moh034

I'm using the Vdrums, and I just got an AKAI MPC 2000 sampler unit so I can bang off samples of my choosing right from my drumkit. That's more for live performance than anything, studiowork is done all on the PC, and yes, the Vdrums are nice for that, right into the PC, no bullshit. We haven't started recording anything final yet, but depending on what kind of a feel you want, you may want to look into a Midi-based Audio-app, recording the drums into it as Midi notes, rather than record the song direct from your kit. That way, you can adjust any of the notes, modify the song as you wish, equalize, etc. From there, You play the midi file, running it MIDI from the PC into your (Vdrums) drum brain. From the drum brain, you send audio out back into the computer's audio in, to a wave-editing app, and record it to hard disk.
This seems like an extra step, but it allows for tweaking of the notes, and if you're looking for extra-techno-type feel, you can really tighten it up. Keep in mind that you're basically PLAYING and RECORDING on your PC, AT THE SAME TIME, so you need a pretty decent computer to whip that out. Your hard drive will be mad at you, but it will be worth it....
Mark Rodrigues
moh034@banet.net

Message 4/5                 Date: 26-Aug-99  @  06:48 AM   -   RE: Any Drummers out there?

AietaD

Hi Mark. Thats a very good idea. Im running windows on a PII 450 128ram so I have the power. I just upgraded to Logic Audio Platinum 4.0 which has a Hyper Editor for doing exactly what you suggest. I havent recived the program yet but Im hoping that I can assign each drum to a midi channel which then is assigned to each individual track in the editor; I play the whole kit live so to speak and the editor maps it out. Then I tweak. Thats what Im hoping.
It might be an extra step but then compared to all the cutting and pasteing I do in the audio editor it could save me time, although Im getting quite good at it.

I dont know about you but there doesnt seem to be many Vdrummers out there, yet it seems the media loves them, and rightly so. They are not cheap, but you certainly get a lot for the money. Perhaps a search of the web might turn up something. It seems the Vdrum world is a bit of a lonely plant.

Regards,

Jules

Message 5/5                 Date: 27-Aug-99  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: Any Drummers out there?

zlevron

Hey guys, I'm so glad I've found this site. My name is zohar levron, and I'm leading a band which plays ethnic-rock. I've made demos for some of my songs using drumloops and other rythmic-electronic stuff (with cackwalk 6, and soundforge). Can you suggest how the percussionist can play such things LIVE, with feet-pedals (the hands are too busy). In some cases he should start it in the middle of a song, in the precise BPM.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum