0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Where to start?

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 24-Jan-01  @  12:45 AM   -   Where to start?

rdc2001

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Ok, I've been playing music for 8 years now, based soley on sound, grove and feel. I was in an emo band, blah blah blah, and now I produce Techno/Hip Hop/whatever....

So the thing is this. I basicly go simply by what just sounds good and right. But I want to improve my music theory! So what i'm looking for is this:

I have a basic knowledge of piano, I know which notes are which, but beyond that, i'm lost. Same with guitar...anyway...I'm looking for either a book, web site, or if it requires lessons, ect...Just some guidence as to where to start on learning music theory.

Thanks!

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 24-Jan-01  @  01:05 AM   -   RE: Where to start?

pict

Link?:  No link

Get "the guitar handbook" by Ralph Denyer a great book which I still refer to.It takes you through rhythm,melody and harmony that book alone can probably teach you most of what you need to know.

"the contemporary keyboardist" by John Novello is another good book I hear.

"Improvising blues piano" by Tim Richards is also a very good book that gives great practical examples of harmony in practice on the keyboard.

"Arranging techniques for synthesists" by Eric Turkel is a good book on arranging which is an essential skill for the home recordist to have.

Message 3/3                 Date: 30-Jan-01  @  12:12 AM   -   RE: Where to start?

sbecker

Link?:  No link

Yes you can get some books that can teach you the basics - although it might all not make sense. One must understand the theory of harmonics and the overtone series to understand pitch and harmony. (and synthesis)
You must also grasp the theory of natural rythms
Strong - weak - less strong - and less weak. A bouncing ball decreases in height naturally.
Headrush stuff that's going to take another 8 years to sink in! You are welcome to ask me what the hell I'm talking about!

These natural rythms and harmonics, give you direction of how to program note, velocity and gate with meaning!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum