0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: What is the harmony?

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6                 Date: 23-Jan-01  @  12:11 AM   -   What is the harmony?

AK

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

OK, so I know what a chord sequence is, and I know what a melody is, but no one has ever been able to explain to me what harmonies really are. I haven't even been able to find the answer on Harmony Central.

Would anyone care to enlighten me?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/6                 Date: 23-Jan-01  @  12:35 AM   -   RE: What is the harmony?

pict

When you play 2 or more notes at the same time that is harmony so if say 3 singers singing 1 note each chose the notes C,E,G they would be singing in harmony a chord of C major.Melody is 1 note after another,Harmony is 2 or more notes at the same time.Does that explain it adequately?

Message 3/6                 Date: 23-Jan-01  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: What is the harmony?

AK

Thanks. I found this description of harmony on a website:

"'Harmony' is produced when several instruments play different melodies or pieces simultaneously like in an orchestra. Harmony is also produced when more than one tone is produced at the same time."

I think the fist sentence describes, vaguely, the meaning of the word "harmony" I was looking for (and the second gives the same explanation of the word as you did). I guess that's what people are referring to when they say something like "So-and-so really knows how to write strong harmonies".

Still not crystal clear though...

Message 4/6                 Date: 23-Jan-01  @  03:16 AM   -   RE: What is the harmony?

pict

If you recorded a loop that consisted of the bottom 3 notes of your synth keyboard then recorded another track with the exact same loop and played it back at the same time as the first loop you would be creating harmony but it would be very basic.Knowing how to combine different notes played at the same time to create pleasing and interesting musical sounds is the skill involved in creating memorable harmony.Good harmony requires a good melody to start with though.

Message 5/6                 Date: 12-Feb-01  @  03:34 PM   -   RE: What is the harmony?

jamie

Harmony

Different notes playing together is called harmony. The difference in pitch between two notes is called the interval.

There are many different interval sizes, from the smallest possible interval of one semitone up to an octave and beyond. Each
interval size has a different sound, and is given its own name based on the notes in the Major scale.

The richness and variety of harmony multiplies with each note you add. Two-note harmonies have one interval. Three-note
harmonies have three intervals, one between each note and each other. Four-notes harmonies have six intervals, and so on.

Harmonies with three or more notes are called chords and they provide the harmonic structure or background mood of a piece of
music. Intervals are the building blocks of chords.

Message 6/6                 Date: 13-Feb-01  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: What is the harmony?

nasir

thanks for that extract!

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum