0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: what key is this?!

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2                 Date: 21-Nov-00  @  08:40 PM   -   what key is this?!

swanofnever

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

okay, i'm getting REALLY pissed off cause this one track WON'T be melodic for me... i keep trying EVERYTHING i can think of, nothing works.

anyway, the b-line is:

f\e e-- e e e e-- e e e e e\d--- e e e e e-- e e e e-- e e\a/

1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a|1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a

where / indicates going up to the next note, \ down, etc...
not that it really matters... sounds like old trance, i.e flying rhino, etc. (imagine a thundering 101), at least note-wise.

now, it's the same notes as CMaj or AMin, so i'm guessing it's one of those strange modes or whatever (i.e lydian (or something) version of c)... what my main question is, is: why won't ANY riff that's not atonal (on E or, to a lesser extent, B) sound "right"? i have a few high slidy things doing shit on a/c\b and b\a/c/e\b, and that's fine, but it's still too damn drone-y and atonal... i NEED a melody of some sort.

so, am i screwed? i know i'm sounding like an idiot, i'd just sort of like to know what's going on instead of random trial and error...

p.s - writing a paper on the physics of music... fuck, that shit is CRAZY!!! i had no idea about ANYTHING like critical bandwidth, freq. descrimination (i.e your ear gets a composite wave (like, say, the sum of two detuned sine waves) and _seperates_ it into its component waves, sending _those_ to your brain! reverse additive synthesis!) and stuff. seriously, get a book, it's already given me about 40916709576 ideas. plus now i know WHY low register harmonies don't work. damn.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/2                 Date: 21-Nov-00  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: what key is this?!

swanofnever

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

yeah, i knew that pattern wouldn't turn out... anyway, you get the general idea. notes (ascending) are adef.

thanks.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum