0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: Basic Disciplines?

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5                 Date: 19-Oct-00  @  03:26 PM   -   Basic Disciplines?

daniel

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi!

I've been trying to do the dance thing for about a year and a half now. I've finally got my setup about where it needs to be to make some decent tunes, and I'm learning my synths, sampler, sequencer etc very well.

However, my music still sounds like shite, and I reckon it's because I can't get my head round the theory, and get very pissed off because I can't ever see where to take a tune. I can hear it in my head, but I can't get it down.

I play guitar a bit, and a bit of keys, but it's all just by ear - I only have a very basic knowledge of chords, scales etc - even then it's very vague, no real facts!

My question is, for those here who are making great music, what are the basic disciplines that I should invest time in learning? Keys? Scales? Chord Structure?

Please, I could really use some advice on how best to improve my theory. Maybe you think I don't need to know any of this shit? Let me know!

Dan

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/5                 Date: 19-Oct-00  @  04:35 PM   -   RE: Basic Disciplines?

pict

I'd say start with scales learn the major scale in all positions it will give you the basis for understanding chord construction after the major scale learn the pentatonic scales,the harmonic minor scale and the melodic minor scale,then the diminished and whole tone scales.At the same time study triads,intervals and chord progressions.This might seem overwhelming at first but each study compliments the other so what you learn from scales can be applied to triad study and chord progressions.As you play the guitar I'd recommend "The Guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer it is imho the best book on learning the guitar on the market none of the others even come close.The theory sections in the book are very clearly written and take you from basic chord progressions through scales/modes onto extended chords etc.You can get by with little or no knowledge of theory but having the knowledge really opens up whole new dimensions of music to you if you have some specific questions about something just ask here,also there are a lot of sites on the web that offer free theory lessons so it's worthwhile to search the likes of Harmony Central and the Synthzone links sections good luck.

Message 3/5                 Date: 19-Oct-00  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: Basic Disciplines?

Guido B

Hi,

This is the url to a music-theory page I tried to make a couple of months ago. Very basic (scale-page link at the end of the page):

http://members.dencity.com/MusicTheory/index.html

Another site - The tonal centre:

http://www.andymilne.dial.pipex.com/index.shtml

Dictionary of Musical Terms:

http://www.creativemusic.com/features/dictionary.html

Not really music-theory:

http://go.to/recordingfaq

Good luck.

G B

Message 4/5                 Date: 19-Oct-00  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: Basic Disciplines?

ggehiere

Link?: Link

Scales are good, but I would recommend balancing any
theory you learn with a healthy dose of playing. Play
lots of guitar (especially if you haven't for a while)
and keyboards just for fun, and concentrate on writing
good drum grooves, which will help breath life back
into your music.

I have a few friends who know alot of theory, and they
all tell me that they feel trapped by their knowledge
of music theory. So be careful...

Smart of dumb, good or bad, all artists alike must be
i

Message 5/5                 Date: 25-Oct-00  @  07:51 AM   -   RE: Basic Disciplines?

H

Jeet Kun DO,Pakua Chang,Broadsword and subtractive synthesis will help you defeat even the most powerful.

-;) a good sense of rhythmn doesn't hurt either.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum