0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: what the hell is this scale???

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/13                 Date: 23-Sep-00  @  09:16 AM   -   what the hell is this scale???

0/d

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

Been working on a track for the past few days and it seems to be coming along nicely,just one problem i wrote the bass line and some other synthy lead in the scale above(or below?)and i need to add some more stuff on top but i need more notes to work with.I looked up the scale in my little red book but no answers.Is this some sort of freak scale like a jazz thing or something,its very dark sounding and only sounds good when played up.any ideas,sorry about the explanation as my theory is shite.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/13                 Date: 23-Sep-00  @  10:51 AM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

casparproject

Link?: Link

well, if the F# is definately the root, than its an F#
minor scale w a flat II and a flat IV, the whole scale
would be this (see above).

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 3/13                 Date: 23-Sep-00  @  04:47 PM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

Guido B

Link?:  No link

Hi,

Could it be an octonical (not sure it is called like that) scale?? It has eight instead of the 'usual' 7 steps (the octave not counted).

In such a scale you can have more tonics, usual the first and the fifth step (here F# and the c). It has all kinds of cool chords in it (I think :-) ). A lot of movie background music is done with such scales.

Good luck.

Guido B

Message 4/13                 Date: 23-Sep-00  @  10:09 PM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

damballah

Following up on Guido: You may have stumbled onto a diminished scale which can yield an eastern or a gypsy sort of sound. There are only two of them, by way. It is rather ambiguous as far as a tonal center or key, so constructing chord progressions is a bit tricky. Somewhere in the bowels of my sequencer files I have a piece based on a diminished scale that I pretty well finished but never recorded. Kind of interesting, kind of fun. Oh, well, there's a full version of a diminished scale if you feel like foolin' with it. Of course I could be totally full of shit, too. Yep.

Message 5/13                 Date: 25-Sep-00  @  09:49 AM   -   what the hell is this scale???

btwz

You're not full of shit. But the diminished scale is something simpler - all minor thirds - more of an arpeggio really.

This set of four notes is the building block of a set of scales called "altered" which include the harmonic and melodic minors. In this case the root may actually be G, making the F# an augmented 7th and this scale the melodic minor also known as the jazz minor scale. Very Parker, Very cool! ~B

Message 6/13                 Date: 25-Sep-00  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

0/d

thanks for the info,,i only half understand(most of my theory is by ear),so its a weird kind of scale,excellent i'm really looking into weird scales and chords and stuff at the moment,trying to get into more ethnic ways of playing.What kind of chords can you get out of it,or can you?Is there a place on the internet where i can find these kind of scales,espeacially eastern scales?

Message 7/13                 Date: 25-Sep-00  @  03:31 PM   -   what the hell is this scale???

btwz

Link?: Link

Happy to help.

This guy's got your scale to chord relations covered, though it assumes a fair amount of chord chemistry.

The eastern stuff is all here with the exception of
the million odd Indian scales that involve microtones
that you can't get without mucking w/your keyboroard's temperment.

Alot of the eastern stuff is chordally simple.
If you've got an altered scale you like like the one you're using - I, II, bIII, #IV, V, bVI, #VII (btw -those numbers refer to the degrees of the major scale
C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C and how they've been altered) you can get that effect with just one or two droning chords underneath.....usually the One.

Cheers,

~B

Message 8/13                 Date: 26-Sep-00  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

Orin

I've no theory, really, but my solution to your
problem is this:

Play the keys you mention, and play other keys,
adding them one at a time. When you hit a wrong
note, it should stand out. Don't use that as part
of your little custom scale. When you've got an
octave's worth of notes, you can build stuff on
top of other stuff, using that. If you write your
music, with a pencil, just set up your key signature, and forget about it's name.

Message 9/13                 Date: 27-Sep-00  @  10:16 AM   -   what the hell is this scale???

btw

Here here! Let the ear steer.

Message 10/13                 Date: 27-Sep-00  @  11:01 AM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

Guido B

Lol

Message 11/13                 Date: 28-Sep-00  @  02:57 PM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

johnny

yeah, that's part of the Hungarian scale (aka Gypsy scale) on D, distinguished by the augmented 2nd's. That's how it sounds to me, anyway. If you added the other notes it would look like this

Message 12/13                 Date: 28-Sep-00  @  05:18 PM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

0/d

yeah,thats the one. after abit of mucking about with the transposing,i got a spacy synth sound on the c#,d,a#2 to sit with the bass line from the origional scale,its funny its all in the way the notes are ordered not in the way the keyboard is layed out,like it doesn,t sound like a scale thats played up and down but like a harmony of notes when played in the right order just come together.weird,what is this called,are their many of these type of things and what kind of instrament is this related to.(as i said earlier my written theory is utter shite so sorry about the explanation)

Message 13/13                 Date: 28-Sep-00  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: what the hell is this scale???

damballah

Let the ear steer works for the most part. In some of these altered and ethnic scales, though, if your ear's tuned to basic majors and minors, stuff can just sound wrong. But if you fool with 'em enough you start getting a feel of how they work. It's like you jam your way through the weirdness of it and come out the other side. anyway...

Viewing all 13 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 13 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum