0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: chord progressions

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 20-Jul-00  @  07:19 PM   -   chord progressions

tetsuo2

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am looking for different ways to take a chord progression: say I II IV V, or I IV VI V , whatever, and make them sound better. I know about voice leading, trying different inversions and voicings to not get the notes to jump around as much, but are there other ways of doing this??

Also, is it generally a better idea to do chord progressions 1st and build a melody on top of that, or do the melody 1st and harmonize that??

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 20-Jul-00  @  11:26 PM   -   RE: chord progressions

pict

I think from your description that maybe you should concentrate on modulation it's very difficult to tell what chord progressions appeal to your ear in comparison to my ear.In regards to your other question I,in most cases,play chords and sing melodies over them whether that works for you I don't know,that's the point,experiment with as many approaches as possible and find the one that appeals to you the most,sorry if that's not much help.

Message 3/12                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  01:11 AM   -   RE: chord progressions

casparproject

Link?: Link

Try using some extended tertial harmonies, building up in thirds off of the root of the chord, try rather than using the root, third and fifth, try using the root fifth and thirteent etc.

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 4/12                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  07:50 AM   -   RE: chord progressions

tetsuo2

that sounds interesting... and then build the melodies from THOSE chord tones??

Message 5/12                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  02:02 PM   -   RE: chord progressions

G B

Hi,

Notes on the 'strong' beats usually are notes that are in the chord that's playing. The steps in between can be 'thru-step' notes. Hm, maybe I'm a little vague here.
Like for example:

Scale: C Major (C D E F G A B and C again).
Now you could have a C Major (C E G) chord playing, and have the melody go like C D E G G F G E (for example). Then (for example) the F Major (F A C) chord and have the melody go like F C A G F F E D and then the C Major chord again.

Good luck.

Message 6/12                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: chord progressions

tetsuo2

nice tip, i suppose you do the progressions 1st and then lay into the melody

Message 7/12                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: chord progressions

G B

Hi,

Sometimes I do the chord-progressions first. Sometimes not. I can have a melody going and then harmonize some chords with it.

Usually I just begin with a one note bass line (the tonic note) and begin with a simple melody. From there I build things up. The style I'm trying to make in is 'Trance'.

G B

Message 8/12                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: chord progressions

casparproject

Yep, you can use those as notes in the melody too. You'll end up with a "jazz" sound though if you arent careful (assuming that you dont want that). 13th's flat 13th's 11th's and 9ths are the best ones to work with I find.

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 9/12                 Date: 21-Jul-00  @  07:17 PM   -   RE: chord progressions

CK

Sometimes I write the chord progression first, Moon Chasers on the above website was done like that. Other times I add them in last.

The best thing to do is to experiment with chord progressions between writing pieces. It's very important not to think too hard when you are putting ideas down, otherwise it becomes very mechanical. It's very easy to get into the trap of saying I can't use that because it's too simple. If it sounds right it is right, if you're not sure then it probably isn't.

Try just playing some chords under a melody until you feel they sound good. At the end of the day it's instictive.

Message 10/12                 Date: 23-Jul-00  @  06:58 AM   -   RE: chord progressions

k

the key is anchor notes... anchor notes within chords and then modulate/move around diads (pairs of notes within a chord that are harmoniously related) up and down... anchor the bass and modulate the chord, or anchor the chord or parts of the chord and modulate the bassline or both... it's the same with guitar chords. all the top songs anchor notes and modulate the chord progressions using pairs or triads of notes... songs like say.. um... revolution tracy chapman... uses anchored 9/11ths on the G chord, then modulates the bass notes to form e minor d & c etc but anchoring the top two notes on the e & b strings... oasis use this too alot which gives their songs such an anthemnic quality , same with U2.. it gets that sorta BIG anthemnic sound with chord progresssions, but they sound more 'symphonic' big, mature, hypnotic etc.. cos there are constant drones at work which along with the bass & moving diads/triads create a fat sound

Message 11/12                 Date: 23-Jul-00  @  06:37 PM   -   RE: chord progressions

0/d

Link?:  Link

The way I learned how to do chord progressions was with strings,on top of simple melodies,doing what k mentioned "anchoring notes",i wrote tracks about 50 to 100 measures long just to get a certain progression to work(ie different chords and notes within the same scale to blend).The tracks don't have to be good(mine were all crap),but it gets you used to getting notes and chords to interact.Start small,as you get better at it,everything starts to come together.

Message 12/12                 Date: 23-Jul-00  @  08:07 PM   -   RE: chord progressions

tetsuo2

I really have no idea how to do what k just said.. can u explain with a bit more detail? My ignorance comes from no music schooling just raw reading books and books..

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum