0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: pict , what keys this in

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9                 Date: 14-Jul-00  @  04:03 AM   -   pict , what keys this in

tonyanddave

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

pict these keys are of a vocal part the bassline goes ddddddgggccc ddddddgggccc

i dont know what i need to do to send a midi file i use cubase so next time if you tell me how to do it i can send u a midi file

the question i have is what key is this pattern in i think its in D minor

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/9                 Date: 14-Jul-00  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: pict , what keys this in

pict

Tony that pattern consists of the notes of D minor.The way to identify if a song is in a major or minor key is to become familiar with the sound of those intervals.An interval is the difference in pitch between any 2 notes,3 or more notes played together are chords(a 3 note chord is called a triad).Do you remember the quick method I showed you in that other thread about how to play a major or minor chord in any key?If you play any note then count up 4 notes from that and play the 2 notes together you will be playing an interval of a MAJOR 3rd,if you play a note and then count 3 notes up from that and play those 2 notes together you will be playing an interval of a MINOR 3rd.Once you become familiar with the sound of these iintervals you will very easily be able to tell if a song is in a major or minor key.

A lot of musicians use scales to find the key of a piece of music e.g. if a musician hears an unfamiliar song and decides to learn how to play it but doesn't know the key he can play a scale and keep changing they key of the scale until he matches the key of the song he is playing along with this requires knowing the scale in every key.

I suggest you download a scale program from the net Harmony central is a good place to look there is a lot of freeware there.All chords are built from scales and all songs are built from chords, learning to play scales will develop your ears and dexterity.

Bass lines in popular music are commonly made up by just playing the root notes of the chords of the song.So if a song had C,F and G major chords cycling around the bass would play a C,F and G note along with each of these chords,you'd be surprised how often this is the case.

To add a midi file just tick the "Add midifile" box at the bottom of this page it will then bring up a dialogue box that will allow you to upload your midifile just browse to where your midifile is on your hard disk and upload simple 

On the keyboard I've shown you a major 3rd interval and a minor 3rd interval in C an G, count the notes starting from the note to the immediate right of the 1st note and you'll see what I'm on about with this 4 and 3 thing.You can use this methond with any note to find a major or minor 3rd.

Message 3/9                 Date: 16-Jul-00  @  07:14 AM   -   RE: pict , what keys this in

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Pict, you know that ain't gonna do it to determine key. That line could be in C, with G as the 5th and D as the second. you have to hear the piece in context. Could also be in G. You just can't tell until you read it or hear it in context. Why bother trying to figure this shit out for this twerp who doesn't want to learn the right way? He's wasting your time, and cheating himself of a lesson he needs to learn, like any other brat looking for the easy way out.

Ape

Message 4/9                 Date: 16-Jul-00  @  12:56 PM   -   RE: pict , what keys this in

pict

Pongoid sure knowing whether something is major or minor isn't going to totally determine the key but it does help.Of course it would be better to hear the melody notes and bass line together but I'd say that given the pattern of notes Tony showed on the keyboard are the notes of the F major/D natural minor scale and the bassline has notes that come from the same scales with the D note being repeated most I'd say it's a fair guess to say the key is D minor.He did say that the notes on the keyboard were the vocal line and the the DGC notes were the bassline of the same song.

I think that if someone realises they are ignorant and tries to get enlightened that should be encouraged if I can help Tony to see the bigger picture by virtue of a few pointers then I think it's worthwhile to do it,plus if others have the same question they can avail themselves of the same small amounts of information I may post here surely there's nothing wrong with that.Sometimes the way something is explained one on one can bring understanding that may be harder for someone to ingest via traditional music theory literature.Also Tony has been nothing but courteous to me in his requests it would be boorish of me not to respond in a like fashion.

Message 5/9                 Date: 16-Jul-00  @  01:17 PM   -   RE: pict , what keys this in

Pongoid

Link?:  Link

Kind of you to help this guy out, but figuring out one track for him is like feeding him a fish. You gonna do that every day? The guy's not trying to learn theory. He's just trying to see if he can grab a quick technique. Obviously you know enough to know that the trick won't always work, in fact for most of the stuff I listen to, it doesn't work very often at all. If you want to waste your time now, and even more of Tony's later, go right ahead. Beleive me, I'm cool with folks helping each other out, but really dude, you're not helping the guy, cuz he's just gonna learn his little trick, and when it doesn't work right, he's just gonna come whining back for more help. Whatever. If it makes you happy, go ahead, taint and twist the guy's education. You'll both find out later.

Ape

Message 6/9                 Date: 17-Jul-00  @  05:49 PM   -   RE: pict , what keys this in

tonyp

pongoid ive already ask not to reply to my threads stay away I DONT WANT YOR OPINION ANYMORE

pict thankyou for your help you are a gent i dont know what pongoids problem is maybe hes got PMT

what ill do is send you a midi file of these parts and you can prove pongoid wrong

to be honest i only understand kind of 75% of what you are saying but thats a big improvement from 2 or 3 weeks ago

i have been having a few lessons this year to teach me theory but feel with a bit of help of yuo guys i will be there soon .i am now starting to things a bit clearer

i swork on this midifile and mail it in here soon thanks again

tonyp

Message 7/9                 Date: 18-Jul-00  @  06:51 PM   -   RE: pict , what keys this in

k

fuck me P - what is wrong with you ??...

Message 8/9                 Date: 19-Jul-00  @  08:02 AM   -   RE: pict , what keys this in

r-tek

I have no idea why, but for some reason, some people have decided to gangup on Tony on the premises that he should "work things out for himself" which would kinda make DT totally redundant, no? Anyways, do a search for "swing" on the mainboard and the drumgrooves section, it`ll make interesting reading all things considered. Not trying to start some kinda flame war, but hey, it does seem hypocritical from where I`m standing, we all need help sometimes and if you scare people off, they`ll end up over at the gas-station and will become conditioned into thinking its normal to own FOUR prophecies (I`m not kidding, some dude over there has four) and spending 5 hours comparing you prophecy with your Z1........even tho the proph is just a monophonic Z1 (some dude did that too). Scary people, I post there sometimes, but some of those bods just aren`t normal.

Message 9/9                 Date: 20-Jul-00  @  06:24 AM   -   RE: pict , what keys this in

Jasper

I agree with you whole-heartedly with the gas station stuff.. I'm there now and then.. you can get flamed for saying something like 'the akai s2000 only has one filter type'..

plus they haven't got the high level of humour like what we have in the slaggit room.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum