0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Theory / composition / technique

Subject: My dumb post

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11                 Date: 13-Jul-00  @  07:54 AM   -   My dumb post

dash 30

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

How do you know what key something is in?? like i know what a key is...but how do ii know what key a piece of music is in?? and then keychanges, too...?????

thanks

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/11                 Date: 13-Jul-00  @  07:05 PM   -   RE: My dumb post

nobody

that's not a dumb post. this is.

Message 3/11                 Date: 13-Jul-00  @  08:04 PM   -   RE: My dumb post

Dash 30

Does a post have feelings? if i click submit, but no-one reads it, did it ever really get stored on the server?

Message 4/11                 Date: 13-Jul-00  @  08:34 PM   -   RE: My dumb post

pict

Link?:  No link

Are you serious about your original question?

Message 5/11                 Date: 13-Jul-00  @  10:15 PM   -   RE: My dumb post

nobody

i gest he was serious. so my reply was not anything but.  

Message 6/11                 Date: 13-Jul-00  @  11:24 PM   -   RE: My dumb post

damballah

Unless it says on the record sleeve, I have no idea unless I work out what notes are being played and go from there. For instance, I have right here a copy of the Berliner Philharmoniker doing Beethoven's 'Syphonie NR.3 >Eroica<,' and it says right here on the sleeve it's in E flat major. That's good enough for me. E flat major for that one. Yep. Now, 'March' or 'Minuet,' I don't have a clue. I'd have to work it out. Unless you have perfect pitch and can name any note that's played, I imagine that's what you'd have to do, too. I've known people over the years that have developed this ability to a fairly high degree by doing it a lot. A lot of it is recognizing the intervals and whether the tonality is major or minor. It comes with practice. Sorry, that's the best I can do.

Message 7/11                 Date: 14-Jul-00  @  03:22 PM   -   RE: My dumb post

Dash 30

Hmmm.. my question is more like.. say i go like Cm7 EbM Ddim+9 .. like basicly, if i already know what notes and chords are being played, how do i know what key it is in ( Dead serrious)

Message 8/11                 Date: 14-Jul-00  @  04:38 PM   -   RE: My dumb post

damballah

Maybe make a little chart of a keyboard and put an X on every note you use until the pattern of whole-steps and half-steps sorta leaps out at you.

I --> ii = whole step
ii --> iii = whole step
iii --> IV = half step
IV --> V = whole step
V --> vi = whole step
vi --> vii = whole step
vii --> I = half step

In your example, how many notes does the C minor 7 and the E flat Major have in common. What happens when you add a 6th to that E flat Major? When you're building chords out of a major scale, what's the only one with a flatted fifth (diminished)?

Compare the pattern of notes you're using to the pattern of notes in a major (or minor, the relative minor scale starts on the vi of the major) scale. That should point you at the root note.

Message 9/11                 Date: 14-Jul-00  @  04:57 PM   -   RE: My dumb post

casparproject

Link?: Link

electronic music is usually fairly easy, as it doesn't tend to modulate to diff. keys. for other more complex stuff, well, I'm in school for that stuff, and believe me, it's a lot more complex than one would think. your best bet is to see which note has the most "resolved" sound. chances are the other notes will seem to want to go towards it, and the note that indicates the key is the only note that sounds resolved.

Peaceout,

Peter

Message 10/11                 Date: 14-Jul-00  @  10:24 PM   -   RE: My dumb post

pict

Link?:  No link

You can see that the notes of the scale of C natural minor and E flat major are the same.If you play those notes over your chord progression and the over all tonality i.e. whether it is major or minor(happy or sad) sounding that will let you know the key centre.In most chord progressions there is a "home chord" that all the chords in that progression resolve to e.g. in a chord progression of C,F and G major in that order if you play them cyclically you can hear that the G always falls naturally back into the C chord that resolution is called the perfect cadence now if you didn't know it was the key of C major but played the notes of the C major/A natural minor scale along with you would hear that it sounded more happy(major)in tonality but if the chord progression was Am,Dm and Em(the relative minor chords of C,F and G)then the notes would sound minor.The differnce between the 2 scales is that they start at different points A minor starts on A but C major starts on C that may seem obvious but when you play a solo or create a melody you don't always start on the root note but what never changes is the distances between each note in the scale if you look at the notes in the scale of C major and count the unplayed notes between each played note in the scale you will see that a major scale in any key has a certain pattern of distances(unplayed notes) between its played notes or tones( a semi tone means a half tone) on the keyboard at the lower end is the C major scale at the upper end is the c natural minor scale(it has the same notes as the E flat major scale)anyway sorry for going on but one of the best ways to figure out keys is by learning the differences between the sounds of these Major and minor scales.

Message 11/11                 Date: 15-Jul-00  @  01:39 PM   -   RE: My dumb post

Dash 30

all very interesting, usefull stuff. i thank you all

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum