0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: getting a decent reverb

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 01-Oct-00  @  01:41 AM   -   getting a decent reverb

r-tek

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

so sometimes I manage it, but more often that not I just cant seem to be able to tweak a reverb to sound the way I want - like smooth and unobtrusive if you get what I mean. I have a vf1 so obviously its me thats crap, I always eq it which usually means cutting tops and the lo-end and I always makes sure I have a healthy signal level coming in and out but no matter how much I mess with the parameters in the efx box, it just dont sound right. Anyone got any tips? Please?

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 01-Oct-00  @  03:59 AM   -   RE: getting a decent reverb

H

I'm using a vf-1 also and have found
that the reverb is the weakest part of
the machine the rest is pretty wicked
though.I've had good results w/ lowering
the level of the verb in the mix.The RSS
verb is the best in my opinion but it
eats up your dsp.I use spring(space
echo)and tube/spring(fender reissue) in
my studio and I'm currently looking for
a plate.If you can get another reverb I
would check out the TC M-one.If thats
beyond your budget try a used lexicon
mpx-1.And if your budget's really tight
the original alesis microverb is pretty
cool.What is the exact problem you are
having and type of sound you are trying
to process?I'll fire mine up and see if
I can come up w/ a useful variation on a
factory preset for you.Also what context
are you using it
in??????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????????

Message 3/8                 Date: 01-Oct-00  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: getting a decent reverb

johnny

The smoothness of a reverb is usually down to the algorithm itself, if it sounds grainy there's not much you can do about it. If you're trying to make it sound unobtrusive try shortening the reverb time and reducing the density, or even using an ambience algorithm rather than reverb. To be honest, you're always going to struggle getting a good reverb out of a budget multi-fx box. Thought about a dedicated reverb? May I suggest the Roland SRV3030, just £299 new? It sounds about 3 times as expensive as it is, loads of presets for every situation (if you can't program at all) and it's got knobs too. It's one hell of a performer, and styled similar to the VF1 so they go well together, cosmetically. I've got the Boss SX-700 (precursor to the VF1) and the SRV3030, and they make a great team.

Message 4/8                 Date: 01-Oct-00  @  03:33 PM   -   RE: getting a decent reverb

r-tek

Its drums that I`m having the problem with, I usually just resort to dropping the volume but I want it more.......kinda audible y`know? If I do up the volume it just sounds hissy and nasty, kinda flat and no amount of eq or tweaking in the vf1 can get it sounding the way I want. A dedicated verb would be great but I`m waiting on the rfx from emu so thats out of the question. Mebbe the vf1 is none too hot with the verbs, but I`m sure I could get it to sound a bit better. Thanks anyway - whats an ambience algorithm BTW?

Message 5/8                 Date: 01-Oct-00  @  08:52 PM   -   RE: getting a decent reverb

johnny

Ambience algorithms simulate what you get by miking instruments at a distance, i.e. you get some of the room's natural ambience attached to the sound. It's basically a series of early reflections rather than the long reverb tails of standard reverbs, which gives a real sense of space without being obtrusive. It's great on drums...

Message 6/8                 Date: 02-Oct-00  @  04:26 AM   -   RE: getting a decent reverb

H

r-tek,don't you do dnb.I like to keep
the verb at a minimum(read totally
dry)except just a wee bit of spring.You
can always canniblize an accutronics
tank off of a broken guitar
amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!Oh yeah I'm pretty anti reverb anyway I
like super micro slapback delays
diffused w/ a filter it keeps from
washing out a mix.I guess I'll post some
tracks up here soon so you can hear what
I'm talking about.By the way I did an
a/b comparison w/ the space echo
algorithm on the vf-1 and my RE-201 I
was amazed by the accuracy just remember
to make good use of the wow and flutter
and you can't do multitaps or panned
echos on the real thing.But on the vf-1
you can change the delay time range w/
high feedback and in a mix it's hard to
tell the
diff....................

Message 7/8                 Date: 02-Oct-00  @  07:20 PM   -   RE: getting a decent reverb

r-tek

yeah, but even tho my tracks always start out as dnb, the tempo and feel invariably drop into slower, more ambient pieces. Guess thats just my studio voice. Thats interesting about the space echo tho cos I hadn`t really dug into that much, I usually just mess with multitaps to get them snares a rattling but I fancy some ear candy in my music so I might use it for some sfx.

Message 8/8                 Date: 11-Oct-00  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: getting a decent reverb

k

smooth and unobtrusive = cut out the 'presence' eq band on the return so you just get the shimmer and not the mid copying the vocal and being obtrusive.

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum