0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Compressor and/or?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8                 Date: 10-Aug-00  @  06:16 PM   -   Compressor and/or?

adams04

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I was chatting with my dj mate today and he was bangin on bout how cool his new LA Comp box was.
Didn,t get to hear it,so ,is it really a very good way to beef up external synths before running them into VST?
If yes,are we saying hardware is still the better option?
I don,t think much of the comp in vst or the vst fx,EQ seems good,and i do think my plugs are cool,but i haven,t had any hardware yet to really feel this diff.Then again,i was knocked out by my dbx 4 vocals.....

Cheers Guruzoo.

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/8                 Date: 17-Aug-00  @  07:21 AM   -   RE: Compressor and/or?

Jasper

I use my compressor more to control the bass sounds from the microwave2, it has a lot of sub frequencies.

I used to try and use it as an effect, but things just sound better if you use it as a tool to fix problems rather than trying to force stuff through it.

It does make the bass sound nice though.. sub really sits in a mix without taking up the bandwidth.

Message 3/8                 Date: 30-Aug-00  @  09:31 AM   -   RE: Compressor and/or?

I like hardware because you can usually sell them later and get some of the money back later. Try to do that with software. Besides you don't need to worry about upgrading your computer all the time.

Message 4/8                 Date: 05-Sep-00  @  05:20 AM   -   RE: Compressor and/or?

chris

Link?: Link

Try running multiple hardware compressors separately on multiple channels without spending a small fortune!

;o)

Software does at least give you the advantage of only buying the mechanism once. Even then, you get compression built-in to programs like Cubase 5...

Message 5/8                 Date: 04-Oct-00  @  01:52 PM   -   RE: Compressor and/or?

matt.obrien

Help needed!
I've just bought a Behringer Composer Pro compressor which I use rigged up to a mackie 16 track. Having never used compressors before I'm a little unsure of how to use it correctly - the problem I have is that when compressing kick drums I can never increase the gain above 0 db (despite how much gain reduction is used) as the sound seems to swell and distort, nearly blowing my monitors completley.
Any advice very gratefully recieved.
Cheers
Matt

Message 6/8                 Date: 06-Oct-00  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: Compressor and/or?

damballah

Link?:  Link

I put some tips on kick drum compression on the thread 'EQ UNITS FOR KICK DRUMS' in the Music and Tech Chat area.

Message 7/8                 Date: 11-Oct-00  @  10:08 PM   -   RE: Compressor and/or?

k

hey matt, can you explain exatly where and how the behringer is wired in to the mixer?

Message 8/8                 Date: 20-Oct-00  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: Compressor and/or?

matt.obrien

Sorry for not replying any sooner - been very busy in work which is the only time I am online.

Anyway, the compressor is just hooked up to my Mackie using the inserts on the individual channels. One potential problem is that the compressor can be adjusted to take account of whether the mixer outputs at -10 or +4 dB (or is it the other way around???) but Mackie mixers output at 0 dB.

I've tried all different settings and since reading some articles on this site have got it working OK sometimes but not as often as I would like.

Thanks for the help - I'll check back a bit sooner this time!

Matt

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum