0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: delay unit suggestions

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12                 Date: 26-Jun-00  @  08:36 AM   -   delay unit suggestions

mathew.clayton

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Can anyone suggest a cheap delay unit for making dub style effects. I can't afford to buy a Space Echo but was wondering if something like the Boss DD5 would be any good for putting keyboad and drums through. Any suggestions welcome.
mathew

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/12                 Date: 26-Jun-00  @  12:35 PM   -   RE: delay unit suggestions

damballah

Link?:  Link

see the other thread.

I've fooled with the Line 6 one, a guitarist friend has it. It has models of the Echoplexes (both tube and solid state) and the Roland Space Echo, as well as bucket brigade analog and low-bit-rate digital.

Message 3/12                 Date: 27-Jun-00  @  11:37 AM   -   RE: delay unit suggestions

mathew.clayton

thanks - I will check out the Line 6 - looking on harmony central everyone their seems to like it so maybe it is the one for me.
mathew

Message 4/12                 Date: 28-Jun-00  @  05:56 AM   -   RE: delay unit suggestions

mathew.calyton

HAs anyone used the Akai ex54d, it seems to be selling very cheaply second hand?

Message 5/12                 Date: 29-Jun-00  @  06:26 AM   -   RE: delay unit suggestions

Pongoid

I use a dd5 live, and it's okay, but not the tightest in the world.

Message 6/12                 Date: 04-Jul-00  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: delay unit suggestions

mathew

i take it that is the boss stompbox you are referring which i presume 2nd hand is going to be pretty cheap. Thanks for the advice.
mathew

Message 7/12                 Date: 05-Jul-00  @  09:18 PM   -   RE: delay unit suggestions

Pongoid

Actually I rarely see those pedals for sale used. Folks tend to hold onto the dd5. It can do neat stuff sometimes.

Message 8/12                 Date: 06-Jul-00  @  09:49 AM   -   RE: delay unit suggestions

nomad

i don't know how the sound compares to the dd5 but the
digitech rds-series isn't bad...they are racks, with lots
of knobs. i had the rds-1900, 1900 ms of delay in
4 ranges, LFO on the delay time (for chorus/flange),
feedback w/invert, a "repeat hold" switch for sort of
sampling (other models have "proper" sampling with
arm/trigger), mix out, phase out for pseudo-stereo.
probably a little brighter than the dd5 but pretty clean
sounding, and you can do that cool pitch drop thing
by twisting the delay time knob in real time (lots of
knobs on this thing, no digital readouts here). even
a cv in to delay time if that is something you like.
best of all, they are usually cheap...one on harmony central
now for $75 + shipping. the only digitech i've heard
that hasn't made me run screaming out of the room.

i used to have a boss rdd-10, it was "warmer" than the
digitech, and had the LFO, and was 1/2 the space,
but only 400 ms, and still around $90. and no repeat
hold (which i think the dd5 has).

for real cheap, look for an arion sad-1....guitar people will
laugh at arion, but this delay pedal is a decent sounding
delay, no fancy features but usually like $30 if you happen
on one.... and you can do the dub pitch bend on it real
time by twisting the knob.... also the dod fx90 (?), i have
one of these in a state of partial disrepair, it sounds good
too, ok so there are 2 digitech/dod things i can stand.
not as many features as the digitech (no lfo for one, you
can do a lot with a modulation delay) but i think this
one does sound better...not as cheap as the arion but
still cheap....

Message 9/12                 Date: 07-Jul-00  @  06:48 AM   -   RE: delay unit suggestions

k

importantly you want the delay to be minimum of 500ms... old korg & roland, etc are great, the old Ibanez DM series are fine too... zoom, the cheap zooms are very good value and you get lots of other fx to play with too. I've used one of those digitechs in a dub studio, it was fine

Message 10/12                 Date: 07-Jul-00  @  06:52 AM   -   RE: delay unit suggestions

k

here's the tip to immitate tape delays.... bring the delay return back into another mixer channel with an aux send... send some of the return delay OUT from it's return channel on the aux back to the delay again (creating a feedback loop)... roll-off the top end of the return channel cos tape delays aren't too crispy... then send out like a piano 'chap' blip to the delay... let it echo in time for that classic dub delay time, then as it does, start to tweak UP the aux SEND on the return channel... you'll hear that distinctive tape delay 'dub' feedback that burns away into oblivion... spend some time messing with the aux send levels and the delay IN levels etc to get it right, then you can add those feedback fx where you need 'em by tweaking UP the aux, then as it peaks, rool it gently off so it decays... if it is hard to do, then setup a delay effect, and record it to your h/d so the 'production' spot is 'taped', and will then playback in the mix every time at the same place the same way.

Message 11/12                 Date: 11-Jul-00  @  11:18 AM   -   RE: delay unit suggestions

mathew

thanks for all the tips, really useful stuff. i do have a rather ineffective weird echo/delay thing already that a hank marvin fan gave to me. i will try that feedback loop trick with that. Roll on pay day.
ta
m

Message 12/12                 Date: 11-Jul-00  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: delay unit suggestions

damballah

Use an old Roland SDE-1000 with a tap switch in me live rig. Usually don't have enough channels to do that trick. Make do with th aux returns.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum