0  |  skin: 1 2 3  | Login | Join  | 

Audioindy.com

Mail discussion to a friend Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About 7161 forums Forum home New Topic

Forums   -   Mixing & FX

Subject: Your compression settings please....

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3                 Date: 18-Jan-00  @  12:21 AM   -   Your compression settings please....

casparproject

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hello fellow dancetechers, I am finally going all out and buying some more compressors for my rig, and plan to individually compress most of my instruments eventually. I'm going to be individually compressing the following instruments, and would like to know what type of settings you all use for these instruments in your setup, and why. Im going to be starting off with compressing my BassDrums and Bass separately, and then doing the whole mix on my mixer outs. I'm using an MPC2000XL for most of my drums and bass, and my Virus and RM1X are mostly dedicated to melody and SFX (should I invest in another couple of units to compress these units separately too?). Give me your input please.

Peaceout

[ back to forum ]               [quote]

Message 2/3                 Date: 18-Jan-00  @  05:21 PM   -   RE: Your compression settings please....

Kierkegaard

What kind of compressors are you thinking of getting? Does your MPC have the 8 outs? If so, it might be worth investing in an ACP-88 from PreSonus (I think its that one...a 2U piece with 8 compressors. Great stuff)

I use an 01V which has a compressor/expander/compander/gate on every channel...a good investment. It's got loads of compression presets for Sampling BassDrum, Sampling Snare, Sampling Percussion, Synth Bass, Acoustic Bass/Snare/Toms etc. which you can dial up instantly and tweak away...save the results if they're good.

Setting them up varies a lot with the material...no two bass drums are the same, so there's no univeral compression setting for a bass drum. I use different settings for different tracks, even if the sample is the same it needs different treatment to make it sit in the mix.

How do you want the bass drums and bass to sound anyway? Under control or heavily compressed for effect? I don't think the Virus and RM1X are candidates for compression...you can just edit the velocity data for them. Highly resonant filter sweeps may need limiting though, which is just compression with a 10:1 ratio or higher.

And compress the mix with caution - more so if you're not using a multiband machine. The bass will trigger the compressor which makes the whole mix pump in time with the bass. You don't want the middle and top end being pulled down in level every time the bass kicks in, there are a few cheap multiband models on the market from Behringer now.

Message 3/3                 Date: 18-Jan-00  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: Your compression settings please....

casparproject

I'm currently have two behringer composer pro's. I am getting the out expansion for the MPC in the next week or so, so yes, I will be probly sending each drum out individually

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum